Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sheila O'Flanagan to do reading at huge charity book fair

Options
  • 12-05-2010 12:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Top-selling author Sheila O'Flanagan is among a group of writers who are lending their support to a huge charity book fair this week (Friday and Saturday, May 14 and 15) at the National College of Ireland (IFSC campus) in Dublin's Docklands. There are over 40,000 second-hand books for sale (€1 each), so there are bargains galore to be bagged. Proceeds will be share among five charities working with older people in the docklands. For more see http://sn.im/w60ys

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Age Action

Just to give you an update as to who will be giving public readings during the massive charity book sale at the National College of Ireland (IFSC campus) on Friday and Saturday (May 14 and 15):
    Sheila O'Flanagan will open the book sale at 11am on Friday, May 14. Jack Harte will give a reading at 1pm.
    On Saturday, June Considine will take the stage at 12 noon; Kathleen Doyle will be up at 1pm, and Dr Ed Deevy will talk at 2pm.
    In between there will be 40,000 books for sale (all €1!). All proceeds will be divided among five charities working with older people in the docklands area. Please support it and pass this message on. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭Monkeybonkers

Picked up a few books from this today:

Salmon Fishing in the Yemen - Paul Torday. I read about 50 pages on the way home on the bus and it seems good. Pretty funny so far. €1 well spent :D

Look at the Harlequins - Vladimir Nobokov. I remembered that someone on here said that Nobokov was a genius so I picked this up when I saw it. Looking forward to reading it.

Roots - Alex Haley. I haven't tackled an 'epic' for a while so when I saw this I thought 'why not?'.

I didn't get to the sale until 2 so I'd say that I missed a lot of bargains that were going earlier in the day. One of the ladies told me that they did great business over the lunch hour so I was left cursing my bad memory. My intention had been to be one of the first in but of course I forgot all about it.
    For anyone thinking of heading in tomorrow I don't think there'll be a whole lot left there to choose from. Don't let it put you off though as you can't really go wrong for €1 and you're sure to see something that will tickle your fancy. There were a lot of romance books there, in fact about a third of the books were in the romance section so if that's your thing then you're in luck.
    Worth a look if you're in the area and for a worthy cause as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Age Action

Thanks to everyone who supported the book fair. We found loving homes for thousands of books. Funds raised will help groups working with the large community of older people in the docklands.

Your support is greatly appreciated and hopefully you bagged some bargain reads.

Advertisement