Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need help finding a Power Unit

Options
  • 12-05-2010 1:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭

Im trying to ressurect a PC with a burnt out PSU, but cant find the same model to replace it. The model is a Win Power ATX-600. I have found a few online but none of them look the same as mine, I have no pic but it looks exactly like this ATX-650. Can anyone give me any tips on where to look for this?

PS: The reason im looking for one exactly the same is because I have little or no experience with PC components so I was hoping to get an identical one and just swap it out

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah you don't need an identical model. Win Power is an awful brand, highly unreliable and stresses a lot under a lot of load.

Anything 'ATX' will fit right into your PC as a replacement. As for brands, I highly recommend anything by Corsair, Coolermaster, OCZ, Tagan, Zalman, Be Quiet!, Antec, Asaka.

What's the current spec of your PC? If you have a modest PC build, you could probably have it running on a lower wattage PSU, yet have more stability and reliability

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Thanks for the info, that good to know. Its a PC i got in lidl a while back, a Targa Ultra an64 4200+, I was thinking of disconnecting some of the stuff I dont use like the TV Card and the display on the front to reduce power usage.
    So I just have to find a PSU with the same connections, or will all ATX units have the same?

The output on the label is:
    +12V1 18A MAX
    +12V2 18A MAX
    +5V 30A MAX

+3.3V 35A MAX
    -12V 0.8A MAX

+5V/SB 3.0A MAX

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah, thanks for the link there.

It's a very modest PC setup. A good brand 400 watt ATX PSU would power that PC without kicking up a fuss. Win Power is just highly ineffecient.

All ATX power supplies come with standard cables, and good brand PSUs usually come with some extra cables to power an extra graphics card or whatever you throw in there.

When buying a 650 watt PSU, something labelled under 20/30 quid is already dodgy looking as it is!

http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/29_PSU/01_PSU/productdetails/15404885/Corsair_CX400W_Power_supply_%28_internal_%29_-/CMPSU-400CXEU/default.aspx

This is probably the best suited. 400watt, a lot of headroom to upgrade your CPU/GPU too by the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

The reason the last PSU died was because it was complete and utter shíte. Get a power supply from one of the brands listed above and your computer will be far quieter and you should not see it blowing any time soon either

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

TBH unless you've upgraded it loads even a CX400 would be overkill. Something cheap and mediocre (rather than total *****) would do fine - try an Antec Basiq 350W, probably a tenner cheaper most places!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Thanks all, I should hav this thing back up and running in no time!

Advertisement