Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insults from fellow Cavanmen

Options
  • 12-05-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I noticed recently playing football that opposition players have a habit of calling us "hicks" and "culchies" etc...

Now, granted we are a small rural club in east Cavan - just over an hour to Dublin city centre in light traffic (after training for example), with alot of our players living and working in the capital. The worst culprits of this are the West Cavan clubs, that are in the middle of nowhere to be honest, in bogs or up mountains. Do they really think they are all that cosmopolitan and sophisticated... Cop on lads

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Bummer1234

As a West cavan Club Player i have never done this or even heard it. But as its more a GAA question maybe you should use the Cavan Forum In hoganstand for more feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Think thats pretty normal in most counties. I live in Rural Dublin yet when we play some teams we call them bogtrotters or rednecks to name but a few. Its more to annoy them than anything else. Funny thing is when we play a city club we get called rednecks and Hillybillies among other things to which the reply is "are you out on bail for tonights match". It is always taken as a bit of a joke here and is not as bad as it was 15 20 years ago.

They might need a little reminder of their abode, but in good spirits of course;)

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Radiotower wrote: »
    I noticed recently playing football that opposition players have a habit of calling us "hicks" and "culchies" etc...

Now, granted we are a small rural club in east Cavan - just over an hour to Dublin city centre in light traffic (after training for example), with alot of our players living and working in the capital. The worst culprits of this are the West Cavan clubs, that are in the middle of nowhere to be honest, in bogs or up mountains. Do they really think they are all that cosmopolitan and sophisticated... Cop on lads
    Which are you? Killinkere, Knockbride, or Drumgoon? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭Grainne101

Pretty sure Maghera, Munterconnaught etc could count as small rural clubs in east Cavan!!!

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Grainne101 wrote: »
    Pretty sure Maghera, Munterconnaught etc could count as small rural clubs in east Cavan!!!
    True enough, I was just thinking about the clubs that we would normally wind up about being very rural. ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement