Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brand new Carrera Gryphon stolen, Dublin city centre

• 12-05-2010 1:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Posted this a couple of days ago but just wanted to add I'll give a €100 reward for any info that leads to recovery etc

Hello all...

Yesterday (11th May) my brand spanking new bike was robbed from the railings outside my building, Ulster Bank head office, Georges Quay, Dublin 2.

I just got the bike less than 3 weeks ago on the bike to work scheme... It was the 2nd day i had locked it there (after leaving other bikes there peacefully for the last 3 years) Needless to say i am kicking myself at not putting it down in the undergound carpark.Argh.

Annoyingly I was forced to go through Halfords, and although I i iniatally hated the bloody bike it was just starting to grow on me, so when i walked out of work yesterday and saw it ( & the lock ) gone my stomach dropped through the floor.

I will be stuck paying the bloody thing off for the next 3 YEARS !! so i am very anxious to get it back, & am completely prepared to offer a reward for any info etc ...

Here's the deets

Its a metallic grey men's Carrera Gryphon Hybrid road bike:

~ Horrible black cheapy mudguards, pretty distinctive as they are offensive to look at and make noise when cycling (recommended by Halfords "expert" who also recommended the SH*tE €70 lock)

~ Black handlebars, blue mickey mouse bell (prob gone) mark on paintwork though where it was rubbing.
    Mark on right hand side handlebar where lock was rubbing paintwork off

~Black back carrier, sort of unusual as well because of the disc breaks at the back its not your average carrier..

~ Mount for lock still on stem of the bike, but no lock....

~ "Carrera" in white writing up the frame

Here's the link from Halfords n'anyway...
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_273257_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

My unreserved thank-you's if you even bothered to read this post. If you have been the victim of bike theft I know you feel my pain, and it is much... very very much..

THANKS !
    Claire xo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

That sucks. Sorry to hear that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,886 ✭✭✭beans

Seems to be a spate of thievery reported on here recently!

Sorry to hear about the misfortune. Was it the kind of lock someone could cut through with little difficulty?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hope you have the serial number, though its unlikely to be any use.

Good trick is to watch listings on Adverts/Gumtree and the like.

Will keep an eye out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Its worth checking on your house insurance to see if the bike is covered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Hello all...

Yesterday (11th May) my brand spanking new bike was robbed from the railings outside my building, Ulster Bank head office, Georges Quay, Dublin 2.

I just got the bike less than 3 weeks ago on the bike to work scheme... It was the 2nd day i had locked it there (after leaving other bikes there peacefully for the last 3 years) Needless to say i am kicking myself at not putting it down in the undergound carpark.Argh.

Annoyingly I was forced to go through Halfords, and although I i iniatally hated the bloody bike it was just starting to grow on me, so when i walked out of work yesterday and saw it ( & the lock ) gone my stomach dropped through the floor.

I will be stuck paying the bloody thing off for the next 3 YEARS !! so i am very anxious to get it back, & am completely prepared to offer a reward for any info etc ...

Here's the deets

Its a metallic grey men's Carrera Gryphon Hybrid road bike:

~ Horrible black cheapy mudguards, pretty distinctive as they are offensive to look at and make noise when cycling (recommended by Halfords "expert" who also recommended the SH*tE €70 lock)

~ Black handlebars, blue mickey mouse bell (prob gone) mark on paintwork though where it was rubbing.
    Mark on right hand side handlebar where lock was rubbing paintwork off

~Black back carrier, sort of unusual as well because of the disc breaks at the back its not your average carrier..

~ Mount for lock still on stem of the bike, but no lock....

~ "Carrera" in white writing up the frame

Here's the link from Halfords n'anyway...
    http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_273257_langId_-1_categoryId_165534

My unreserved thank-you's if you even bothered to read this post. If you have been the victim of bike theft I know you feel my pain, and it is much... very very much..

THANKS !
    Claire xo

Well, firstly Im sorry to hear the bad news.....There must be 5 threads in the past week relating to bikes being nicked(The one that was recovered was a carrera ;) )

Do you have the frame number?

Also The fact your Lock cost e70 means its most likely the best one you could have been offered. How exactley did you lock the bike? The fact that the lock is gone too probably means its still attached to the bike to be removed in a less public place.

You need to get onto the Gardai, and keep an eye out on the usual 2nd hand sites.

Also that general area tends to be full of junkies, wouldnt be suprised if one of them nicked it for a fix

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Buy & Sell also worth a look at.

I've had a bike nicked and it's just a dreadful experience.
    It would be relly wonderful if you got it back.
    Might be no harm sticking up a poster where it was nicked!

chin up, its not that much! say its cost you e600

600 * 0.58 = 348 is the cost of the bike to you on higer rate of tax. Then if your paid monthly 348/36 = 9.60 a month.

Could have been worse :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

You paid 70 euro for a lock? Was it a ulock or what?

Also you tied a bike to the railings around this area 50% of the people are magpies and undead junkies. Defo keep an eye on buy and sell. More likely it was sold off fast for 50 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

kona wrote: »
    chin up, its not that much! say its cost you e600

600 * 0.58 = 348 is the cost of the bike to you on higer rate of tax. Then if your paid monthly 348/36 = 9.60 a month.

Could have been worse :)

No offence but this is a dumb perspective to take - the replacement value plus the ongoing cost is going to come to something around about €1000 for a €600 bike (scheme can't be availed of again for a number of years).

Granted it could have been €1200 without scheme but for most people this is a big hit.

Hope you get your bike back, plus your bell!

Haleakala wrote: »
    No offence but this is a dumb perspective to take - the replacement value plus the ongoing cost is going to come to something around about €1000 for a €600 bike (scheme can't be availed of again for a number of years).

Granted it could have been €1200 without scheme but for most people this is a big hit.

Hope you get your bike back, plus your bell!

how is it dumb? her loss is 42%(maybe 21%) less than it could have been.....

I had my bike stoled that stood me over 1k. I didnt have the luxury of having 42% written off in tax.

100% loss is worse than a 58% loss anyday....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

Bit late now - but does Ulster Bank have any secure bike parking in that building?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

Sundew wrote: »
    Might be no harm sticking up a poster where it was nicked!

and dont forget to take them down if you do decide to plaster the area !!!:mad:

Might be worth giving the corpo a shout, they could have removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Haleakala

kona wrote: »
    how is it dumb? her loss is 42%(maybe 21%) less than it could have been.....

I had my bike stoled that stood me over 1k. I didnt have the luxury of having 42% written off in tax.

100% loss is worse than a 58% loss anyday....

Ok, assume €600 Bike. Original Cost=€600x0.58 = €348 (This would be €474 @€;600x0.79)

Bike Stolen. Value of Bike (Replacement Value) = €600.

Total cost of remaining a cyclist = €948/1074 vs. €1200

That means a saving of somewhere between 11.5% and 21%.

Aside from the maths, continuing to pay for something you no longer own is hardly a cause for celebration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

Sorry to hear about that. Hope you get it back.

Might be worth checking if there are any CCTV cameras covering the area. Even if you can't see it being stolen you might see it being wheeled or carried somewhere nearby.

Haleakala wrote: »
    Ok, assume €600 Bike. Original Cost=€600x0.58 = €348 (This would be €474 @€;600x0.79)

Bike Stolen. Value of Bike (Replacement Value) = €600.

Total cost of remaining a cyclist = €948/1074 vs. €1200

That means a saving of somewhere between 11.5% and 21%.

Aside from the maths, continuing to pay for something you no longer own is hardly a cause for celebration.

Yea but you have to pay for things anyways:rolleyes:

People are overpaying their morgages every month....

She could have paid for it on credit card or a loan and could be paying interest on it.

Im just pointing out thats it could be worse, the girl is obviously upset and angry.

Your whole argument is based on a possible replacement cost, my point is based on the facts on hand.

Guys, this is off topic.

I'll keep an eye out for your bike

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Guys, this is off topic.

I'll keep an eye out for your bike

gets the thread noticed more and at the top....good no?:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Sorry about the bike. Try the security in Ulster Bank though if you haven't asked them yet. May not be any help but they may have either got a CCTV camera pointed that way or have seen/caught bike thieves there before.

Good Luck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Halfords "expert" who also recommended the SH*tE €70 lock)

Claire, it would be useful if you would name the lock. It's not necessarily crap, all locks can be defeated with power tools, but it helps us to understand what security works and what doesn't.

Also, top work in Heroes. Got any cheerleading pics?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    Jesus, I can't get over the amount of bike theft I'm seeing in this forum.

How many bikes are there in Ireland? Half a million?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

Lumen wrote: »
    How many bikes are there in Ireland? Half a million?

Lumen I don't know if people are just coming on here more to report it but in the last few weeks I've seen a big increase in stolen bikes, and more high end ones, if they're now cutting through €70 euro locks in broad daylight it could mean there's a gang with a van and some proper tools targetting the city.

Claire that sucks about your bike - Don't give up hope fully though, watch buyandsell.ie, gumtree.ie, adverts.ie, donedeal.ie like a hawk, also there's a market on parnell st. and some other place near the pennys that isn't on o'connell st. that is notorious for being a place where stolen bikes end up - Don't fully give up yet, I was looking the other day on gumtree because someone said their bike got stolen (a yellow carerra race bike) and I found it on gumtree and they got it back via the gards. So don't want to get your hope up but sometimes it is possible to get them back...

Off topic slightly, are you the same claire I was having a chat with about cameras in a bike shop recently?

Sorry again about your bike, I'll keep my eyes peeled, also you should post on dublinfgss.com , its a bit more courier frequented and couriers tend to be a bit more militant about not tolerating bike theft, also they're out on the roads 24/7 (its a little known fact they never sleep) so more likely to spot it if its being ridden by some scumbag..

Scien wrote: »
    I was looking into buying a Kryptonite U-lock but after seeing a few youtube videos of people opening them with bic pens, it didn't inspire much confidence.

They have updated the locking mechanism and don't use those barrel keys any more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clairebear83

SubLuminal wrote: »
    Lumen I don't know if people are just coming on here more to report it but in the last few weeks I've seen a big increase in stolen bikes, and more high end ones, if they're now cutting through €70 euro locks in broad daylight it could mean there's a gang with a van and some proper tools targetting the city.

Claire that sucks about your bike - Don't give up hope fully though, watch buyandsell.ie, gumtree.ie, adverts.ie, donedeal.ie like a hawk, also there's a market on parnell st. and some other place near the pennys that isn't on o'connell st. that is notorious for being a place where stolen bikes end up - Don't fully give up yet, I was looking the other day on gumtree because someone said their bike got stolen (a yellow carerra race bike) and I found it on gumtree and they got it back via the gards. So don't want to get your hope up but sometimes it is possible to get them back...

Off topic slightly, are you the same claire I was having a chat with about cameras in a bike shop recently?

Sorry again about your bike, I'll keep my eyes peeled, also you should post on dublinfgss.com , its a bit more courier frequented and couriers tend to be a bit more militant about not tolerating bike theft, also they're out on the roads 24/7 (its a little known fact they never sleep) so more likely to spot it if its being ridden by some scumbag..

Yep this is me ! remember you were admiring my shiny new bike last sat ... ?? its gonzo .. frown.gif

Been monitoring all those websites like a hawk.. And also hoping to claim from house insurance.
    Really wish id had the foresight to buy that lovely white Puegeot last sat !!!
    Anyway ill be keeping my eye out for a new rothar in Rothar, to ease the pain of this loss ..

Thanks for the advice xo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭abcdggs

Also, top work in Heroes. Got any cheerleading pics?

She's 16 right?

abcdggs wrote: »
    She's 16 right?

20 at the minute
    She only looks 16 which makes it OK apparently :)

Also stop derailing the thread like I am doing

She's 16 right?

I assumed that since she worked at Ulsterbank HQ my lame Heroes joke would be taken/ignored in the intended spirit rather than as part of an ephebophilic stalking exercise. :)

I assumed that since she worked at Ulsterbank HQ my lame Heroes joke would be taken/ignored in the intended spirit rather than as part of an ephebophilic stalking exercise. :)

What did the Heroes joke mean btw ?! i totally didnt get it

• Advertisement

What did the Heroes joke mean btw ?! i totally didnt get it
    Clairebear=
    lgfp1949_claire_bennet_heroes_tv_show_poster_1_.jpg

Clairebear=
    lgfp1949_claire_bennet_heroes_tv_show_poster_1_.jpg

eh ..... never watched Heroes Im afraid... i is totally lost !

hayden panettiere plays a cheerleader called claire and she is a cheer leader

OMG what a coincidence, she is actually my doppleganger :D

and her Dad calls her Claire bear

More importantly, her character father calls her "clairebear".
    OMG what a coincidence, she is actually my doppleganger :D

I suspected as much. :pac:

OK, I'm going to have to repeat a question since at this stage the need for an answer has eclipsed all other considerations in my life...

Which lock was it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

More importantly, her character father calls her "clairebear".

I suspected as much. :pac:

OK, I'm going to have to repeat a question since at this stage the need for an answer has eclipsed all other considerations in my life...

Which lock was it?

Lumen,

We're way beyond locks at this stage.

Just look at ClaireBear!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

I had my Giant Blue fcr 4 knicked right outside my front door on Herbert st. D2. They even took the lock and everything. I looked in McCormacks and other 2nd sites, but no joy. It was aout a month ago now and I got some new wheels since. I'd say they could get through any lock. You need a thick chain really, but that could be complicated.

willhouse wrote: »
    I had my Giant Blue fcr 4 knicked right outside my front door on Herbert st. D2. They even took the lock and everything. I looked in McCormacks and other 2nd sites, but no joy. It was aout a month ago now and I got some new wheels since. I'd say they could get through any lock. You need a thick chain really, but that could be complicated.

Which. Lock. ?.

It was a bendy, curly type affair, nothing fancy. Apparently they use some sort of pipe, bigger than the locks barrel and somehow pop the lock. I heard loads of stories , like they ship the bikes to the mainland. Although, there were loads of bikes on the street, but mine looked the fanciest, so they took mine.

Is there a good lock out there available to anyone's knowledge?

It was a bendy, curly type affair,

Sorry to say but thats why it got knicked. 2 sec with a bolt cutter. 2minutes with a junior hacksaw.

Bad luck though.

Kryptonite fagghedabouit lock, heavy but worth it, IMO

• Advertisement

Locks that work

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭AAAAAAAHHH

It was a bendy, curly type affair, nothing fancy. Apparently they use some sort of pipe, bigger than the locks barrel and somehow pop the lock. I heard loads of stories , like they ship the bikes to the mainland. Although, there were loads of bikes on the street, but mine looked the fanciest, so they took mine.

Do you live on Craggy Island?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 438 ✭✭SubLuminal

It was a bendy, curly type affair, nothing fancy.

I've had to cut through these a few times - with a plain hacksaw with a dull blade, takes about 45 seconds once you get a good grip on it. No need for a fancy pipe or anything, just a quick visit to the 2 euro store.

Claire wasn't your lock a kryptonite lock? Isn't there some kind of guarentee with those? Did they cut the lock, or the railing?

Kryptos are supposed to be impossible to get through, how was it locked?

Yeah, I was sure by the location I was in, that there would be no people knicking bikes, no need for a heavy duty lock. How naive I was.

Mainland Europe, we live on the Island of Ireland. Thanks AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH all the same.

SubLuminal wrote: »

Kryptos are supposed to be impossible to get through, how was it locked?

The cheap ones are **** to be fair.

Although If the lock was taken id Imagine the bike wasnt locked properly....why would a thief take the broken lock.... Heavy, cumbersome, and would be a pain if your seen by a garda.

Yeah, I was sure by the location I was in, that there would be no people knicking bikes, no need for a heavy duty lock. How naive I was.

Mainland Europe, we live on the Island of Ireland. Thanks AAAAAAHHHHHHHHH all the same.

We are a Republic mate.

The EU are just our sugar daddy.

Also, if you look at statistics, Middle class are areas are the worst for thiefs. Why would a thief **** on his own doorstep? Also not much to rob in Lower class areas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've worked across the liffey in the IFSC for about 4 years and have always put my bike in the underground car park, in fact most times if I'm running late I wont even lock my bike. Silly I know but I've never even heard of bikes being robbed in the underground car parks in the area. There is always security there and if anyone looking even remotely like they shouldnt be there they are challenged.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 923 ✭✭✭VERYinterested

I hope this is an elaborate ambush, with lots of ripped off cyclists brandishing baseball bats! Otherwise I would edit the post lest there be brass monkeys reading this!

I've worked across the liffey in the IFSC for about 4 years and have always put my bike in the underground car park, in fact most times if I'm running late I wont even lock my bike. Silly I know but I've never even heard of bikes being robbed in the underground car parks in the area. There is always security there and if anyone looking even remotely like they shouldnt be there they are challenged.

Anything decent? I got a suit :P

I've worked across the liffey in the IFSC for about 4 years and have always put my bike in the underground car park, in fact most times if I'm running late I wont even lock my bike. Silly I know but I've never even heard of bikes being robbed in the underground car parks in the area. There is always security there and if anyone looking even remotely like they shouldnt be there they are challenged. Makes me worry sometimes that if a scumbag decided to put a suit on and stroll down to the car park then they would have their pick of bikes because a lot of them are unlocked.

Really? I used to live in the IFSC and I thought the security guards were no better than any others. There were always little scummer kids breaking in and stealing stuff. Bold little gits would literally try and steal your groceries out of your hands when you were leaving SPAR sometimes.

To be fair i'd say your just lucky so far in that your car park maybe one they haven't bothered with yet but if any of them read Boards your screwed now.

• Advertisement
Advertisement