Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Brand new Carrera Gryphon stolen, Dublin city centre

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Yeah that was a bad idea posting that bit of 'advice' but its not helped when everyone is quoting me :rolleyes:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,189 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

kona wrote: »
    Anything decent? I got a suit :P

So have I, whats your point...

...oh, right, see you there in 20 minutes :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

The cheap ones are **** to be fair.

Although If the lock was taken id Imagine the bike wasnt locked properly....why would a thief take the broken lock.... Heavy, cumbersome, and would be a pain if your seen by a garda.

It was securely lock, but I 'd say they took the lock to look natural. Something like this might have happened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hsM88Wx8QQ

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

Article in tonight Evening Herald about a car wash and go place on parnell street. Gardai were investigating bike thefts and had this place under survailance. They raided it and found a 40ft container with 17 bikes and various bike parts. Case has been adjourned for a week. More than likely a suspended sentence will be imposed :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

willhouse wrote: »
    It was securely lock, but I 'd say they took the lock to look natural. Something like this might have happened. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hsM88Wx8QQ

why so people will ignore the time spend cutting it open?:D

Slunk wrote: »
    Article in tonight Evening Herald about a car wash and go place on parnell street. Gardai were investigating bike thefts and had this place under survailance. They raided it and found a 40ft container with 17 bikes and various bike parts. Case has been adjourned for a week. More than likely a suspended sentence will be imposed :mad:

place has been empty the last month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clairebear83

Lumen wrote: »
    More importantly, her character father calls her "clairebear".

I suspected as much. :pac:

OK, I'm going to have to repeat a question since at this stage the need for an answer has eclipsed all other considerations in my life...

Which lock was it?

I absolutely love that this has eclipsed all other considerations in your life !!!

Ok i just checked the Halfords website there coz i wasnt sure off the top of my head. This is what i was using : http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_231103_langId_-1_categoryId_212470

To be honest i never felt like that extender cable was secure enough, it looked flimsy. As i was locking it on that fateful day I even said to myself "jaysus i should really have two locks" & also "i should really be putting this in the underground carpark" GODAMMIT !!!!

Also I may have exaggerated the price of the lock by €9.01 in my initial post. Apologies. I was very upset at the time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

How did you lock the bike? I have the same set... I use the sheldon method with the U lock and secure the front wheel with the cable. I have seen people use the cable and the U lock more like a padlock... silly stuff.

Edit: I looked up the lock before buying myself and it was highly rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

There is allot of debate about the Sheldon method. I realise he is guru of all thinks bike etc. but his locking advice relys on the scummer understanding what he's looking at... Said scummer, may attempt to cut through the wheel, tyre, tube & spokes to get the bike, without realising the complexities of the matter. I lock my bike in a similar way, but I make sure the frame is also locked by the shackle...

(I am fully aware of the fact that I have just produced a rather nerdy post)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 willhouse

Claire, you should check out McCormacks on Dorset Street. There are loads of knock off bikes in there. I saw one with the front wheel half the size of the back. Stolen written all over it, but the owner of the shop didn't really care. However, my lovely bike wasn't there, sadly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

willhouse wrote: »

I tried this on my kryptonite and I couldn't get it open. Shame really 'cos I'm always losing my keys ......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Paul Kiernan

The Sheldon Method

I'm not sure I agree with this either! Wouldn't a decent bolt cutters just chop through the rim and tyre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,038 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

The Sheldon Method

I'm not sure I agree with this either! Wouldn't a decent bolt cutters just chop through the rim and tyre?

Why yes I think your right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,015 ✭✭✭thebullkf

eh...folks....forgetting something???

ladies bike was robbed....

wonder was it in here....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?threadid=2055911018

I absolutely love that this has eclipsed all other considerations in your life !!!

Ok i just checked the Halfords website there coz i wasnt sure off the top of my head. This is what i was using : http://www.halfords.ie/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_11101_catalogId_15551_productId_231103_langId_-1_categoryId_212470

To be honest i never felt like that extender cable was secure enough, it looked flimsy. As i was locking it on that fateful day I even said to myself "jaysus i should really have two locks" & also "i should really be putting this in the underground carpark" GODAMMIT !!!!

Also I may have exaggerated the price of the lock by €9.01 in my initial post. Apologies. I was very upset at the time.

I find it hard to believe they cut through the U lock of that in broad daylight, they would have been at it for ages.

You didnt by any chance use the cable to lock the bike. The cable is there to secure the Quick release wheels, the shackle goes through the crossbar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The Sheldon Method

I think the argument is that the rear wheel is significant portion of the overall cost of the bike but why it isn't better to put the u-lock through the seat stays is beyond me.

I always go through the back wheel and seat stays, usually toward the axle where they are widest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 clairebear83

I find it hard to believe they cut through the U lock of that in broad daylight, they would have been at it for ages.

You didnt by any chance use the cable to lock the bike. The cable is there to secure the Quick release wheels, the shackle goes through the crossbar.

doh, absolute amateur when it comes to locking bikes obviously, i secured the quick release wheel ( that being my main prioity in a hurry ) and then u-locked the cable. LESSON LEARNT ! Expensive way to learn a lesson :(

Ah well....c'est la vie.

Although in fairness i do think you should be able to lock your bike for 3 hours in the middle of the afternoon right outside your place of work like this.... god i hate those thieving scumbags.. my faith in humanity is severely depleted.. Although i have received many posts of support & advice , which has replenished it greatly.. so i guess were even :D thanks goys x

doh, absolute amateur when it comes to locking bikes obviously, i secured the quick release wheel ( that being my main prioity in a hurry ) and then u-locked the cable. LESSON LEARNT ! Expensive way to learn a lesson :(

Ah well....c'est la vie.

Although in fairness i do think you should be able to lock your bike for 3 hours in the middle of the afternoon right outside your place of work like this.... god i hate those thieving scumbags.. my faith in humanity is severely depleted.. Although i have received many posts of support & advice , which has replenished it greatly.. so i guess were even :D thanks goys x

Without question, you should be able to leave a bike in the city centre, locked, and expect it to be there.

Dont you worry, the people who rob are sub human IMO, they are Immoral, are not part of society and should be treated as such.

A U lock with a car jack (the slim ones that can lift 2 tonne), if its left with enough space in the U takes a few minutes. I've seen it done to get my neighbours bike loose but it does look like it would destroy a frame or wheel unless the thief was lucky enough to have enough space to do this behind the post it was locked to.

The jacks I am on about are bottle jacks as shown below:

hydraulic-bottle-jack-373140.jpg

CramCycle wrote: »
    A U lock with a car jack (the slim ones that can lift 2 tonne), if its left with enough space in the U takes a few minutes. I've seen it done to get my neighbours bike loose but it does look like it would destroy a frame or wheel unless the thief was lucky enough to have enough space to do this behind the post it was locked to.

The jacks I am on about are bottle jacks as shown below:

hydraulic-bottle-jack-373140.jpg

I cannot see how these would work in this case, the U bit is very very small ( I presume to prevent this attack)

Although even in a case where you could use a bottle jack, they are a pain to position due to the base, I used one to remove a seized seatpost before, getting it in a solid position off level ground is hard.

• Advertisement

I cannot see how these would work in this case, the U bit is very very small ( I presume to prevent this attack)

Although even in a case where you could use a bottle jack, they are a pain to position due to the base, I used one to remove a seized seatpost before, getting it in a solid position off level ground is hard.

I am not good at explaining these things but here is a really bad attempt.

You place the but of the bottle jack against the post it is locked to and screw the top/cap out to the straight bar bit of the U lock. his will only work if the bottle jack cap has grooves/grips in it and the lock is big enough and only through one bar. Insert bar and start pumping, it'll take a few minutes to get the pressure up but it should bust the lock.

The other way is the really tiny bottle jacks that will fit in between the parallel bars of the lock. A decent jack will bust most U locks in a few seconds.

take a look at this artcle:
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Magazine/200803042.pdf

I just googled it to back up my claim as I realise it doesn't sound likely

My key point was that even with the best locks around you still have to use the lock properly eg Leave little room to fit equipment in/around, leave locks pointing downwards (its harder to look inconspicuous if your trying to bic pen it or drive a screwdriver through it with a club hammer).

Glad I googled this as I thin the article covers most of my points pretty well.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Piercemeear

Hi Claire, have a look at this video. Hal explains by examples everything you need to know about locking a bike. I know it's closing the gate after the horse has bolted but it's good for future reference I suppose...

http://www.streetfilms.org/hal-grades-your-bike-locking-3-the-final-warning/

I hope you get your bike back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

CramCycle wrote: »
    I am not good at explaining these things but here is a really bad attempt.

You place the but of the bottle jack against the post it is locked to and screw the top/cap out to the straight bar bit of the U lock. his will only work if the bottle jack cap has grooves/grips in it and the lock is big enough and only through one bar. Insert bar and start pumping, it'll take a few minutes to get the pressure up but it should bust the lock.

The other way is the really tiny bottle jacks that will fit in between the parallel bars of the lock. A decent jack will bust most U locks in a few seconds.

take a look at this artcle:
    http://www.ctc.org.uk/resources/Magazine/200803042.pdf

I just googled it to back up my claim as I realise it doesn't sound likely

My key point was that even with the best locks around you still have to use the lock properly eg Leave little room to fit equipment in/around, leave locks pointing downwards (its harder to look inconspicuous if your trying to bic pen it or drive a screwdriver through it with a club hammer).

Glad I googled this as I thin the article covers most of my points pretty well.

Oh ive no doubt that most locks wouldnt stand a chance, I just dont think the OPs U lock would be broke, as its too short.

Good article though :)

Advertisement