Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive failing. Need Help RE operating system

Options
  • 12-05-2010 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭

Hi.

My laptop received a knock the other day and I am now getting messages telling me that the hard drive is failing.

I have copied all the files I need to an external hard drive and I'm about to buy a replacement hard drive.

My question concerns the operating system.

My plan is to buy a new hard drive and reinstall windows on it. I contacted the shop I bought the laptop from and enquired what I had to do to install windows on the new hard drive as regards the license to get windows to run.

The shop told me that I need to buy another version of the OS (i.e. - buy it again) because the original license of the current OS only applies to the hard drive that the laptop came with.

That doesn't sound right to me.

I have tried and failed to get an image backup of the current HD and any FAQ/walkthroughs on how to do this would be very much appreciated.

Also, is the shop correct in saying I need to buy a new OS if I can't get the disk image?

Any help appreciated.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Yeah, most laptops are installed with OEM OS's, which basically means, that copy is locked down to that particular hardware.

But I dont know why he's telling you that. If it's only the Hard Drive you're replacing, you can install your OS onto it without a problem, as long as you have the original OS disks (some OS disks that come packaged with laptops require extra software... and crap really, to complete the OEM OS installation.)

If you dont have the right disk, you have the right to request a disk from where you purchased.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

If you dont have the right disk, you have the right to request a disk from where you purchased.

Thanks, this may be a longshot but do you know of anywhere I could get that in official writing? I'm a bit lost on this issue.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Well actually depending on your Laptop model, there maybe be software included to create a back-up disc. What make is the laptop?

Sorry, but I dont have it in writing anywhere, I'm only telling you what my local computer store said to me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭BigEejit

I've never heard of it being locked to the hard drive, in fact the hard disk is the thing most likely to break so very unlikely.
    If you buy an oem OS it gets tied to the motherboard. Did you get install disks with your laptop? A lot of the time if it was shipped with a DVD writer you get asked to make your own OS install disks.

It's a HP laptop G60, there's a windows product key on a label on the back of the laptop.

I've never done back ups (but learning a hard lesson now :) ) and looking up as much as I can about it.

I'm going to ring the head office of the story and try to find out what the story is.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

BigEejit wrote: »
    I've never heard of it being locked to the hard drive

The license isn't, but with some OEMs the installation is and a standard install DVD might not work correctly with that license as the OEM customised their license to work with a version of the OS that carries a ton of bridging or embedded crapware tailor-made for that laptop to run slow *cough* :rolleyes:

Needless to say, this can make certain laptop models an absolute ****** to repair if the HDD goes down... :o

Solitaire wrote: »
    The license isn't, but with some OEMs the installation is and a standard install DVD might not work correctly with that license as the OEM customised their license to carry a ton of crapware tailor-made for that laptop to run slow *cough* :rolleyes:

Yeah but as I said, some of that crapware includes software to create backup disks for when you need to do a reinstall

Yup - if you're lucky. Now all you need to do is pray the HDD doesn't shuffle off its mortal coil before you can get it to complete a long and intensive copy session... :rolleyes::o

or just install Linux :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Ring Microsoft direct, I'm sure the OEM license will still apply/work when you change just the HDD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

Here you go mate,

Link to download the complete document

download.microsoft.com/download/4/e/3/4e3eace0-4c6d.../oslicqa.doc

Extract from document
    • If I upgrade some of my PC components, do I have to purchase a new operating system?
    ANSWER. The answer depends on the components that are upgraded or changed in the PC. The operating system licenses must remain with the device that retains the motherboard, chipsets, and chassis that include the serial number of the device. The operating system may be installed on a new/replacement hard drive as long as the operating system is first removed from the old hard drive.

Please refer to the section on “Modifications to hardware and how they affect the activation status of Windows XP” in the following link for a more detailed explanation regarding specific hardware changes. The same hardware component changes that can be made to a PC before requiring re-activation of Windows XP are the same changes that can be made before a PC is considered to be “new” - and when a new license for OEM software is required.

http://microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/windowsproductactivationtechnicalmarketbulletin.doc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Whats the OS? If you have the key you can dowload a copy of most OS's and use your key.

The OS is vista. I hate it, but it's all I can afford at the moment.

And thanks to all for the replies. Much appreciated.

That's the idea. Works 99% of the time so long as you match exact OS (eg. XP 64 won't work with XP Pro key). Problem is, some OEMs do their best to make it very hard for you to retain the license that's legally still yours if you own a laptop, to try and make some money for nothing out of low-to-moderately knowledgeable users :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

You should run the magical jelly bean keyfinder to see if the key installed matches the label on your laptop. Sometimes the one they stick on isn't the same key.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Monotype wrote: »
    You should run the magical jelly bean keyfinder to see if the key installed matches the label on your laptop. Sometimes the one they stick on isn't the same key.

http://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Nice program. Cheers.

Place I bought the Laptop was D.I.D. electrical.
    I've been onto customer service. No answer and no return call.

I just bought a 1tb ext harddrive to take a disk image and 160gb hard drive to replace the failing one. There goes my weekend plans.

Who made the laptop? Did they give you a Windows disk with it?

HP were the manufacturers. I didn't get a windows disk with it.

Ah feck. They love the old trick where they don't give you a DVD, wait for your HDD to fail then try to charge you a big repair fee because you didn't burn your own OS disk immeditely after buying the laptop which they helpfully tell you to do on a web page hidden on the arse-end of their website (which also doubles up as their legal disclaimer) :mad::mad::mad:

How old is that laptop? And what OS does it have? (XP, Vista, 7?) :confused:

In any case you need to use special software that should have come pre-installed to burn your own recovery disks but the method varies depending on the laptop's age and OS IIRC :( Tell me that and I'll see what you have to do to get the recovery disk(s) prepped - so long as your HDD holds out long enough! :eek:

• Advertisement

Cheers. The OS is vista.

I've burned a copy of a vista installation disk I got *cough* through other means and I'll just use the product key I have on the label of the laptop.

D.I.D. with their bolloxology help service can count themselves down a customer in future.

As a matter of interest. Does anyone reckon the HDD that's failing could be reusable by formatting it or would it most likely be a physical defect on it?

Don't blame DID, like most non-IT retailers they're clueless about tech and really need you to take any technical issues up with HP or whoever's manufactured the misbehaving item. Their role is to assist in indirect RMAs if neccessary within the first year of purchase as statutory rights dictate.

As for the recovery lookie here. In short: In Vista go Start > Recovery Manager > Advanced Options > Create Recovery Disc, insert blank DVD±R(s) and follow the prompts to burn disc. Once that's done, start backing up all not-backed-up personal data you want/need to keep. If the HDD survives these processes then congratulations - you're now ready for any impending Epic Fail that comes your way ;)

As for the HDD? Once you've backed up everything as above you can bring up the offending drive in Computer, right-click and go to Properties, Tools, Error Checking, tick everything and restart the laptop to get CHKDSK to run. If you start to get warning messages after that you can try a repair installation on Vista but odds are its time to buy and fit a new HDD.

Well, I doubt very much I am the first person who has been on to them asking what the story is with reinstalling an OS on a new hard drive. It's not that technical of an issue.

They could have said go to HP instead of inventing stories on the spot. The guy I was talking to was introduced as one of their 2 "computer" guys.

Incidentally, I contacted HP and didn't have much luck there either, being shifted from one dept to another and having a bit of a communication problem because I couldn't understand the phone operators accents. I also got grilled for a lot of personal details before they even asked why I was ringing.

Thanks for the other info too. Lesson learned is to do all this first and foremost next time.

Yeah... HP doesn't have that excuse :p

Don't know if HP do it but I love some OEMs live chat... darn helpful (and cheap!) where you can avail of it, as accents don't transfer on to text :D

There was a live chat thingie, but the laptop keeps stalling so I thought the phone would be easier.

Cheers for all the help folks.

Going to try installing the OS onto a new Hard Drive now. Wish me luck!!!

good luck boss! :cool:

Advertisement