Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rent allowance questions

• 12-05-2010 1:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

My Boyfriend and I recently moved in together. I am in full time employment but he is unemployed at present. He has applied for Rent allowance but has been told that he needs my P60 and payslips and that he will probably not get as much if anything as he is living with me. I cannot afford to pay both rents.

Does anyone know how the state can recognize us legally as a couple even though we are not married or engaged for these purposes and when it comes to tax credits and allowances etc we are not considered legally a couple. Is this not the biggest load of crap ever!!!!! What kind of a country are we living in. I know that there are people who seem to be able to claim for everything. We are looking for what we have been paying taxes for for the past number of years and we cannot get anything from them. Anyone else had a situation like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

You are deemed a couple because you are co-habiting. Co-habiting couples have most of the same rights as married couples when it comes to social welfare payments. I doubt the boyfriend is actually going to receive any rent allowance if you are working.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 kernaw

Are you on any social housing list?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Single1

No we are not on a social housing list. Would this have a bearing on the rent allowance issue? It does seem a little unfair that we are deemed a couple when looking for rent allowance but I cannot claim any additional tax breaks because for that purpose they say we are not a couple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭Little My

A few years ago I remember reading an article about the disparity.

I can't for the life remember where I seen it, I have searched but can't find any links. Anyway, it was written by some legal think-tank or something, and basically said the government could be challenged legally because of the fact that people cohabiting are taxed & treated as single when working, but treated as man & wife when claiming benefits.

Like I said, I really really wish I could find the article.

I also wish someone would challenge the government on it, but unfortunately given that people needing social assistance are unlikely to be willing to spend money on lawyers it probably won't happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Single1

Hi Little My,

I found that article or a similar one. I think it was the Ombudsman actually who had either written it or written a report on the matter due to the number of complaints the department was getting from Cohabiting couples.

I just found a statement on the website of the Department of Social Protection which confuses me even more. It states:
    "For Social Welfare purposes, cohabitation exists where the claimant and another person are living together as husband and wife."

Does this mean that we are just acting as husband and wife or that in fact they are saying that in order to cohabit you must be husband and wife. I would deem this to mean that my partner and myself are simply 2 people sharing a house.

We pay the rent separately and bills are split among both of us. Nothing is in both of our names. We have separate bank accounts. The lease for the house is in my name only.

Do I have any leg to stand on. Am I misreading the social welfare definition of cohabitation. Thanks to anyone who can correct or enlighten me. I am lucky enough to have a job and I have never had any dealing with the social welfare system to this point. From the get go it seems like double standards for everyone in order to give as little as possible, while we are being taxed to the hilt and getting nothing back in return.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 9 bidzer

I just came from CWO this morning in Rathfarnham. I was told that the rate of rent allowance is EU529 per month on your own and EU390 a month if in shared accommodation. I want to move in with my boyfriend, he is in full time employment, although for a nominal salary so he could not pay MY rent (I am unemployed). I would not be entitled to RA because of this, but surely one could rent a two bedroom as 'friends'(?). We are both living with our parents but I am on a list for social housing entitling me to RA. Any insight greatly appreciated.

Yes you could do that but it would be fraud. Asking about committing social welfare fraud on this forum is against the forum charter. Post reported.

Yes you could do that but it would be fraud. Asking about committing social welfare fraud on this forum is against the forum charter. Post reported.

Just trying to get a handle on this, no intention of committing fraud and posting about it here!

I just want to know if it is in fact fraud if everything is split straight down the line? I don't know anyone getting RA and nothing was mentioned to me at all in CWO to suggest that, so do you know it to be FACT that you can't do this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

bidzer wrote: »
    Just trying to get a handle on this, no intention of committing fraud and posting about it here!

I just want to know if it is in fact fraud if everything is split straight down the line? I don't know anyone getting RA and nothing was mentioned to me at all in CWO to suggest that, so do you know it to be FACT that you can't do this?

The answer to your question is YES it is fraud even if you split everything down the middle as you are sharing the same bed you are a couple if you commit fraud on the SW and they find you out then you will regret it and if in future you need SW it may affect your chances of qualifying for it

• Advertisement

'Nuff said, thank you! :)

Advertisement