Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two day trip on the Blackwater.

Options
  • 12-05-2010 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Myself and a few mates are thinking of kayaking down the Blackwater (Cork). We will be using two sit upon's and plan to make it a two day trip ending in youghal. So just wondering if anyone has done it before or if there is any info worth passing on to me.

Any suggestions for other rivers will also be gratefully accepted.

Thanks in advance...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭tom_ass19

Never ran the full length myself but went from Fermoy down to Cappaquin, there's the weir in Fermoy and another weir before Ballyduff, just take the left hand side if your on the sit on tops for both weirs.

I've rowed from Youghal bridge up to Cappaquin before, not very interesting as the river is so wide for most of the way. Can't think of anything else really, if you want give Dave O Leary a mail, hes the chairman for Phoenix Kayak Club, he's run it before so would know more.

Hope this helps anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Cheers Tom, thanks for the info.
    I suppose the only bit I'm unsure about id down by youghal, anything I should know about, going to time it for the tide to be on the way in and get picked up on the beach, any info on currents or is it safe enough. I know the area from dry land but never in the water there. Usually hit the sea around west rather than east Cork

Not really much else that I can think about at the moment. Theres a broken wier just before you come to Lismore castle, it's where I used go when I first started but its nothing to worry about, if its high tide the flow can be kinda fast and a bit bumpy.

I'd say the best place to get out is before the bridge, theres a little beach on the left hand side before the bridge and cars/vans can drive down there from the bridge, handy out :)

When were ye thinking of going, I might meet me along the way somewhere and get out at lismore.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

Cheers for that.

I have no idea when this is happening, 4 guys, 4 oh's... trying to get a date when all can go with permission is an adventure in itself:rolleyes:

Sounds good man :)

Well if all goes ahead and you don't mind myself coming along just send me a PM

Take care :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 Savin

Looking into a canoe trip down the blackwater from about Rathmore to Cappoquin in late September, allowing 3 days for it, would getting on lower be advised? any problem finding spots to pull up and camp along the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Bordeaux1

Hi,

Does the incoming tide run as far as Lismore, or is it just Cappoquin? Thanks.

Am hoping to do a run in August, first time on the Blackwater, Lismore to Youghal and a return (with the tide ;-)) next day.

Am also looking to hire or buy a canoe, two seater would be good. My other half wants to take it easy.

We usually do the Dordogne and Verzere, probably not much difference?

Thanks.

You'll be able to get from Lismore to Youghal and back no problem, the river is wide enough all the way down and back. You might have problems coming back into lismore as it's very low sometimes but by that stage you'll be on the castle ground so just pull in and walk for a few min.

Thanks,

Thanks for the info. Am currently sourcing a canoe or pair of kayaks or even one of each! The rivers here are practically dry, no rain for months. Rain due this weekend, we hope!

Tkare

Just thought i'd mention one more thing. From Ballyduff down to Lismore you might come across a lot of angry fishermen, happened me a few times. Hope the trip goes well :)

• Advertisement

Thanks, it happens here sometimes too!

Advertisement