Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

serious problem with debtors threathing letter

Options
  • 12-05-2010 2:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone elase had the same problem with this company or what i should do in general! I got a tiny chip fixed by glasweld last year,It was advertised as completly FREE with fully comp insurance (I Have always had fully comp). The man was overly nice :pac: gave my boyf a form i signed it and we were on our way:). Since than i hace received 4 letters in the post.... after the 3rd letter(which said i must forward the cheuqe my insurance company sent me) i rang up to say that i hadnt received anything and they were to stop harrassing me and to sort it out. This mornin i received a threathening letter for "legal action" :eek: passing of my details to there debt collection agency and the printing of my name in the stubbs GAZETTE. Im actually really stressed out and upset about this, as i havent the 79 euro to pay, which of course they want it in 7 blinkin days! (me and my partner are both out of work!) they have told me i have to pay them and THAN my insurance company will pay me. I am so annoyed , :confused: some good advise neede asap pls

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Moved to a new thread in consumer issues; not really a motoring issue at this stage.

Edit - thread now moved.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

I presume you informed your insurance co. and gave all the details as soon as this happened? Have you contacted them since receiving the last letter?

mollyj wrote: »
    Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone elase had the same problem with this company or what i should do in general! I got a tiny chip fixed by glasweld last year,It was advertised as completly FREE with fully comp insurance (I Have always had fully comp). The man was overly nice :pac: gave my boyf a form i signed it and we were on our way:). Since than i hace received 4 letters in the post.... after the 3rd letter(which said i must forward the cheuqe my insurance company sent me) i rang up to say that i hadnt received anything and they were to stop harrassing me and to sort it out. This mornin i received a threathening letter for "legal action" :eek: passing of my details to there debt collection agency and the printing of my name in the stubbs GAZETTE. Im actually really stressed out and upset about this, as i havent the 79 euro to pay, which of course they want it in 7 blinkin days! (me and my partner are both out of work!) they have told me i have to pay them and THAN my insurance company will pay me. I am so annoyed , :confused: some good advise neede asap pls

thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 mollyj

:( O God, no i didnt contact them i assumed there was no need as i was told they would look after all that... My father also got a chip fixed by this crowd but he was lucky his insurance company sent out a cheque to him as soon as glasweld contacted them for payment. :confused: ive probibly been a bit gulable a niave

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

It was advertised as completly FREE with fully comp insurance (I Have always had fully comp).
    ive probibly been a bit gulable a niave

Nothing in life is free i'm afraid! Depending on the insurance company they usually get their money back when you go to renew your policy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

:( O God, no i didnt contact them i assumed there was no need as i was told they would look after all that... My father also got a chip fixed by this crowd but he was lucky his insurance company sent out a cheque to him as soon as glasweld contacted them for payment. :confused: ive probibly been a bit gulable a niave
    Don't you think it might be an idea to contact them now?

• Advertisement

I have been in contact with them this morning... Ive been told that i should of contacted them when my windscreen needed repair and that they only use certain companies . They are happy to send me out a claim form but I have to pay the 79 euro, and they will pay me at a later date. But i just dont have it at the moment.

I have been in contact with them since... Ive been told that i should of contacted them when my windscreen needed repair and that they only use certain companies . They are happy to send me out a claim form but I have to pay the 79 euro, and they will pay me at a later date. But i just dont have it at the moment.
    No offence, but of course you should have contacted your insurance company first. It's been six months and Glassweld still haven't been paid because of your inaction. Have you even filled out the claim form yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Anan1 wrote: »
    No offence, but of course you should have contacted your insurance company first. It's been six months and Glassweld still haven't been paid because of your inaction. Have you even filled out the claim form yet?

not necessarily - if you have windscreen cover and you get a new windscreen, some companies get insurance details off you and get you to sign a form that allows them get paid directly from the insurance company - I would expect a similar arangement here and glassweld should have a deal in place with the insurance company as otherwise they would not be able to advertise that the service is free to the insured person.

91011 wrote: »
    not necessarily - if you have windscreen cover and you get a new windscreen, some companies get insurance details off you and get you to sign a form that allows them get paid directly from the insurance company - I would expect a similar arangement here and glassweld should have a deal in place with the insurance company as otherwise they would not be able to advertise that the service is free to the insured person.
    It sounds to me as though the service is free to the insured, but that they haven't filled out the claim form and therefore haven't received the cheque. I've had repairs done before where the ins co paid the repairer directly, but i've always verified this with the ins co first. Common sense really, seeing as they're the ones paying.

It sounds to me as though the service is free to the insured, but that they haven't filled out the claim form and therefore haven't received the cheque. I've had repairs done before where the ins co paid the repairer directly, but i've always verified this with the ins co first. Common sense really, seeing as they're the ones paying.

My insurance company will not pay glassweld, and i do have fuly comp insurance ..... i have been told i must pay them first and send them the receipt and they will pay me . .. I was looking for some honest advice on how to deal with this situation and the final demand letters

• Advertisement

At the time of fixing the windscreen i was told that glassweld would contact my insurance company directly and i would have to do nothing .

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I have been in contact with them this morning... Ive been told that i should of contacted them when my windscreen needed repair and that they only use certain companies . They are happy to send me out a claim form but I have to pay the 79 euro, and they will pay me at a later date. But i just dont have it at the moment.

Its pretty standard for insurance companys to only give such free repair or replacements with certain companys, you should ALWAYS check with your insurance company before doing anything.

The same goes for healthcare insurance :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

My insurance company will not pay glassweld, and i do have fuly comp insurance ..... i have been told i must pay them first and send them the receipt and they will pay me . .. I was looking for some honest advice on how to deal with this situation and the final demand letters

If they'll refund you then best do this then, least you'll know the situation in future

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

My advice would be, take a deep breath, type / write a nice plain letter to the debt collection agency or whoever is chasing you and tell them a) Its under query and you were misled b) You are out of work and c) Most importantly you dont have the money to pay.Also recommend you get it registered.

Offer them €5 a week untill the debt is paid, may not seem reasonable to them but it is to you as it might be all you can afford given your circumstances. If it gets to court no judge would rule in favour of the plaintiff when you are acting perfectly reasonably by offering to repay the debt.

Also bare in mind it costs €150+ to get someone into court and get a debt published so will they really go through with that for €79, Im guessing in the current climate probably not, only big businesses "make a point" of doing this, such as Voda, o2 etc.

Also I would recommend you go to MABS & or Citizens Advice to help you out with this one, a letter from MABS to this crowd will curb their enthusiasm.

Best of luck :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭funkyjebus

91011 wrote: »

only if the insurance company has a pre exisring deal with the windscreen repairer

Thank you very much Sizzler for the good advice. I am goin to offer
    them five euro a week.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Thank you very much Sizzler for the good advice. I am goin to offer
    them five euro a week.:)

You can also go to the nearest MABS office to arrange an appointment. They will be able to negotiate with the creditor on your behalf if they start getting bolshy. The only problem is it might be a few weeks before they can see you. It is important however to contact the creditor ASAP to propose a repayment schedule to them. Try not to fret; as long as you make your best effort to pay you will be ok :).

If i go to MABS about my debts does that effect my credit rating at all?, you know if MABS have to negotiate with my creditors ??? WOuld that affect me in the future?. i just dont know much about this kind of thing:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

If i go to MABS about my debts does that effect my credit rating at all?, you know if MABS have to negotiate with my creditors ??? WOuld that affect me in the future?. i just dont know much about this kind of thing:confused:
    No. Not at all. They are just helping you manage your debts, the only thing that will interfere with your credit rating is if you miss payments with a financial institution (ie credit card, loan,mortgage) or you get your name published in stubbs after being brought to court and losing.

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭Drake66

Yeah as Sizzler said, they are just going to help you manage and prioritise debts. Working with them will not affect your credit rating in any way. The advantage they give you is that they have probably worked with this particular creditor in the past and the creditor will have worked with them. If you agree, they can negotiate a repayment schedule with the creditor on your behalf. If you work out a repayment schedule with the creditor in the meantime you must stick to it however. It may be a couple of weeks before you get to see a Mabs adviser so therefore you should contact the creditor now, state your position and propose a repayment schedule- perhaps €5 p/w as you said.

• Advertisement
Advertisement