Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed!! complicated

Options
  • 12-05-2010 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

Hi, I’m wondering if somebody could give me some advice.

I’ve recently started in a new job. I’ve taken a very significant salary decrease in this new job. The job has its perks but the salary decrease is quite significant. I feel quite naive for even starting the job in the first place. I’ve signed a contract etc. now which appears to tie me in the job for a considerable period of time. I have'nt discussed this with anybody so i'm completely lost on what action i should do:mad:

Any how my big issue is that an ex colleague of mine who I use to work with has also started in the same company. His experience ect. Is the exact same, he even has the same degree ect. as me. I would have worked with him a good bit in my old job. They seemly offered him the same package as I’m on but he seemly went back to them and they offered him a lot more. (30k more+). I should say that I know this as this person discussed the pros/cons of taking this job with my ex manager and the ex-manager hinted at me about the remuneration he was being offered. I have known about this a good number of weeks now but keep on putting it offL

What actually compounds this now is that he is being sent to do the exact same role as I am. I really feel that I need to confront this issue with my employers but I have no idea how I should go about it or what I should say. Any advice is much appreciated. :(

I

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,315 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

What is the complicated issue? He negotiated better then you did; you can bring it up with your boss that you think you're underpayed for your position but that is as far as I'd guess you can take it. At the end of the day though you DID accept the position at the current salary; your ex colleague joining has nothing to do with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Should have negotiated better tbh. Its of no relevance to you what your friend/colleague gets paid. HR keep that info undisclosed for that specific reason. You accepted a salary and signed up to it. Perhaps approach your line manager ina few months to request a salary review

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

bonosmate wrote: »
    Hi, I’m wondering if somebody could give me some advice.

I’ve recently started in a new job. I’ve taken a very significant salary decrease in this new job. The job has its perks but the salary decrease is quite significant. I feel quite naive for even starting the job in the first place. I’ve signed a contract etc. now which appears to tie me in the job for a considerable period of time. I have'nt discussed this with anybody so i'm completely lost on what action i should do:mad:

Any how my big issue is that an ex colleague of mine who I use to work with has also started in the same company. His experience ect. Is the exact same, he even has the same degree ect. as me. I would have worked with him a good bit in my old job. They seemly offered him the same package as I’m on but he seemly went back to them and they offered him a lot more. (30k more+). I should say that I know this as this person discussed the pros/cons of taking this job with my ex manager and the ex-manager hinted at me about the remuneration he was being offered. I have known about this a good number of weeks now but keep on putting it offL

What actually compounds this now is that he is being sent to do the exact same role as I am. I really feel that I need to confront this issue with my employers but I have no idea how I should go about it or what I should say. Any advice is much appreciated. :(

I

Be careful. Sometimes what people say they earn and what they actually earn are two completely different things. Its actually quite common for those willing to share their "salary" to inflate it a bit.

If I was you i'd take it with a pinch of salt. Get settled in the job, and bring up a pay rise at a later date. There are thousands of people eager to get your position in the current climate and your employer knows it.

Advertisement