Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Applying for a credit card

Options
  • 12-05-2010 3:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Hi i am looking to apply for a credit card and i am just wondering what is the best way to do it, go into the bank and apply or do it on line ?.
    I have applied for one online before but was refused

thanks
    Sinead

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

No real difference in applying in person or online.

Both require the same levels of ID verfification and proof of earnings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

It might help if you expanded on why you want a credit card in order to get better advice. Im only saying this because i used to work for 2 cc companies years ago and, to be honest, most of the time you are far better off in the long run just to get yourself a debit card. You can open an acc in ulster bank and get a debit card within 1 week/10 days. Just bring the usual, statement sheet from current bank +passport/drivers licence.

The debit card works perfectly fine online etc, i got one myself 3 weeks ago. I have a credit card myself for over 10 years, barely use the thing, emergency only fallback to be honest. Would use it for large purchases like holidays and the like but use the debit card 50 weeks out of the year.

A cc does have some added benefits but you would need to get your magnifying glass out and really read the smallprint. In the current climate being accepted for one is tougher than it used to be aswel. Theres also the domino effect of getting yourself into 'uneeded debt', tis a slippery slope. With a debit card you can only spend your own money unless you have an agreed overdraft facility on your current account.

Personally, i have advised my own family to avoid credit cards. Banks in ireland are finally coming around to the visa debit card with ulster bank a few months ago starting to issue them and i believe PTSB is going to issue them soon. I think if you get refused for a credit card application it acts negatively to further applications for credit down the road but im not 100% clued into the irish banking system, all my experience with cc's is from the uk where i lived for 13 years. Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭sparky89

the main reason i am getting it is because i do a lot of shopping on line and also i am going on holiday and i want it in case anything happens

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

sparky89 wrote: »
    the main reason i am getting it is because i do a lot of shopping on line and also i am going on holiday and i want it in case anything happens

Well your first hurdle is getting accepted for one to be honest. Some credit cards do have benefits like travel insurance (if flights are paid for using your cc) if you have an accident abroad for example. There is also things like 'emergency cash' that can be arranged over the phone with the cc provider and that cash can be with you within 24 hrs while you are on holiday but again, you would need to spend some time on the smallprint.

As regards online, cc's are more 'safe' but to be honest ive been out of the cc business a good few years so maybe somebody with up to date info can help you there.

If you have no joy with your application, the debit card is a sound alternative. If it happens that you do get a debit card in the future for your holiday, just from experience, advise your bank of your holiday destination and find out what your daily atm limit is before you go.

Have a great holiday :)

Advertisement