Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT Qualification - what next?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 3:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭

Howya all, here's my story......In a previous life I was an Auctioneer (thank fook I got out of that :)).
    I was then unemployed for a while and a good friend of mine who works in IT got me a job in her place through the FÁS back to work scheme. I had never worked in the game before but I have always liked computers and I am really enjoying it and its great to be doing something I like instead of doing fook all!

My next question is what way should I go with qualification? The business that I'm working in look after hundreds of different small to medium businesses with all aspects of their computers. I don't know if they'll keep me on after my 9 months experience ends in August so I'd like to start getting some qualifications but the question is what way to go?

Any help would be brilliant,

m.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭NullZer0

What kind of work is it?
    Server & Desktop support?
    Network Support?

I started out in Server/ Desktop support and moved more into networking. Now I do both.

Bot areas are great but if you like networks I'd advise taking that route (no pun intended :D ).

In this area there is no limit to the pace at which you can progress. Its really down to the individual. You can also make alot of money while having fun and enjoying your job!

Win, win!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mfield

iRock wrote: »
    What kind of work is it?
    Server & Desktop support?
    Network Support?

I started out in Server/ Desktop support and moved more into networking. Now I do both.

Bot areas are great but if you like networks I'd advise taking that route (no pun intended :D ).

In this area there is no limit to the pace at which you can progress. Its really down to the individual. You can also make alot of money while having fun and enjoying your job!

Win, win!

I'm dragging this one back up, better late than never eh! The time has come for me to get my finger out of my arse and get some sort of qualification :)

Well the nine months work experience flew by and now I have the time to get going at my exams.

Over my time working, I had been doing a lot of repairs and rebuilds etc. I didn't have too much server experience but is an area I'd love to learn more in.

I am looking to get setup at home and do whatever is necessary to learn what is needed to get qualified. I am broke as a joke at the moment so going on courses will be a no go for the moment.
    Going down the MCITP route is what I'd like to do first. Would this be the best move to make?

Any help would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭GavMan

Contact FAS, Mate.

They have lots of courses for IT certification, particularly on the Hardware support side of things.

They have cisco courses and other networking. They also have general hardware courses such as ITIL, etc. Then they have Microsoft Certification, particularly MS Server stuff.

Best of all, they have a blended category which means that you do most of it at home with just the odd visit to a FAS centre every now and then

Advertisement