Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

George Osborne's Ancestors.

Options
  • 12-05-2010 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,056 ✭✭✭✭

The UK's new Chancellor is heir to an Irish Baronetcy i.e. The Osborne Baronetcy of Ballintaylor, Tipperary, set up in 1629, according to Wiki (although the spelling is Ballentaylor according to them).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Osborne

I'm trying to find out how nasty they were in relation to Anglo-Irish landlords in general, and also whether he is likely to bear a grudge for any reason.:eek:

Does anyone know anything about the Osbornes, and whether they were absentee, or residing landlords?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭Yahew

Yeah, I kinda want to find that out, too. The only reference I have seen anywhere was, by chance, a copy of Ireland's own ( yes, I know) which I picked up recently. It mentioned a book published by an English author about his trip through Ireland, and some improvements made in, or around, Clonmel by a well liked William Osbourne, Baronet.

So, if that was his ancestor, then he was resident then. And apparently, a fairly good landlord.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

I checked the landed estates database and here is a link

http://www.landedestates.ie/LandedEstates/jsp/estate-show.jsp?id=3189

• Registered Users Posts: 1 parnellshea

I have information on George Osborne and would like to share it. I am a writer and poet and have written a significant article about George Osborn. The British press wont publish what I say for obvious reasons.

>>>MOD EDIT If you have something to post then post it. This is a discussion forum, not a method of developing private contacts so heed this warning- Moderator<<<

Advertisement