Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

eircom line-checker

• 12-05-2010 3:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭

What does a 'provisional' pass mean? They seem to have taken my order (new build customer) but I'm sceptical even though I got the confirmation email. I think I'm too far from the exchange.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 399 ✭✭teddy b123

it basically means theyre gonna try, but if it dont work, they aint gonna do anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭Dr. Nick

teddy b123 wrote: »
    it basically means theyre gonna try, but if it dont work, they aint gonna do anything

Thanks, I'll just have to wait and see.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It means you're right at the edge, so you might get 1Mbps at best. Then again, you might get nothing at all. It's probably 50/50 at this stage, so don't lose all hope just yet.

jor el wrote: »
    It means you're right at the edge, so you might get 1Mbps at best. Then again, you might get nothing at all. It's probably 50/50 at this stage, so don't lose all hope just yet.

Ahhh, that's why the online ordering thingy suggested 1mbps. Thanks jor el, would the 1mbps be a minimum I wonder?

I have three at the minute and it's good apart from the unpredicable drops. Does the streaming radio solution I've seen suggested on here work, ie prevent dropping? (sorry I know I've drifted to midband queries....)

just so you know, i was also given a very low chance of getting broadband (7 miles of copper cable from the exchange :cool:) and at that i should only be on 1 megabit but after a bit of tweaking by eircom tech support im getting the full 3 megabit im paying for.

• Advertisement

teddy b123 wrote: »
    just so you know, i was also given a very low chance of getting broadband (7 miles of copper cable from the exchange :cool:) and at that i should only be on 1 megabit but after a bit of tweaking by eircom tech support im getting the full 3 megabit im paying for.

That's what i'm hoping for, thanks teddy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Dr. Nick wrote: »
    Does the streaming radio solution I've seen suggested on here work, ie prevent dropping? (sorry I know I've drifted to midband queries....)

I would say no. A 3G connection can drop for a host of different reasons, and whether the connection is actively being used or not won't make a difference in for lot of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I was an amber too initially so was only sold 1MBit. Am now on the 8MBit biz package syncing at 5Mbit, so don't loose hope! ;)

bkehoe wrote: »
    I was an amber too initially so was only sold 1MBit. Am now on the 8MBit biz package syncing at 5Mbit, so don't loose hope! ;)

Sounds good. How did they handle they tariff art, i.e. you signed up for 1mbps originally, which is cheaper?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭bkehoe

I just called up sales to change package. A week after getting the 1Mbit connection I knew that the line stats were good enough for 3MBit so rang up sales to order the new package which initially they wouldn't do saying that my line only supported 1MBit, so after a small debate with the agent she eventually put me on the 3M package which worked perfectly for the last 6 months.
    So based on that and my line stats (which if anyone's interested show as being capable of 6 - 7MBit depending which online tool I use) I rang up sales again a few weeks ago and had a similar battle to get sold the up to 8MBit package, lol. For some reason they had to do a 'manual order' to get me changed to the 8M package as the system would only let them sell the 3M package. This resulted in it taking a day for the speed increase (normally it's pretty much instant).

Somehow I suspect that if I was with a bitstream reseller that they would have been less willing (or able) to facilitate my request.

• Advertisement

For some reason they had to do a 'manual order' to get me changed to the 8M package as the system would only let them sell the 3M package

yeah that system is a right pain in the arse. didnt know they could do manual orders though.

Advertisement