Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Post op care for cats?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 3:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭

Two of my cats are having operations tomorrow, and I get to watch/help, which'll be interesting. One is being spayed and one is getting teeth out.

For the guy getting teeth out, does anyone know what I should do for him after the op? I think he'll have a lot of his teeth out, nearly all, they're really bad (well his gums are) :( Should he be on pain killers? When will he be able to eat tinned food? Should I feed him liquids at first? Poor cat.

And the kitten being spayed is the tiniest cat I've ever gotten spayed, but she's seven months so I've left it later than I should have anyway. I'm worried about her. I had two small cats who were spayed at 10 months and they took a long time to recover. I really don't want her getting pregnant though, and I think she's actually nearly fully grown maybe because her mother is tiny too (my friend's cat). She's like 2 kg, which is half as much as the other cat, but I guess she's a girl. My dad says that if she's pregnant then I have to stop the surgery! But I'll get the vet to palpate her stomach first and see if she feels anything, I don't think she's pregnant though.

Wish them luck! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

The vet will give you plenty of advice about aftercare when you are leaving. If not - ask them! :D

I don't know specifically about the poor cat with the teeth problems, but generally you just need to make sure they have a nice soft, quiet, peaceful place to sleep off the drugs etc. Have plenty of fresh water for them.

They can be a bit queasy after an op, so might get sick. If giving food just give something small at a time.

The vet should be able to give more details though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

Thanks :) I'll probably be annoying the vet with the questions anyway :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,462 ✭✭✭Orla K

With the teeth my guy had very poor teeth, the vet couldn't actually take out his upper canine teeth properly, his gums were bleeding alot during the whole thing(not normal) the vet was even suspisous of me having a cat in such a poor state and he was relieved when I told him he was a stray. As for his after care, he didn't really need much, he wasn't too hungry that day and the experience made him scared so he hid under the bed for most of the day. The vet said to give him soft food for a few days before he go's onto the dry stuff again, but the cat prefers the dry food, they other cat I had at the time prefered the wet so on the second day I had turned my back and they switched bowls. I just fed him dry food from then on.

A thing to keep an eye on would be if the gums stay red, mine were and he had to go on more tablets, they still are but we're putting it down to that they could remove all his canine teeth.

I think the amount of pain they feel would depend on the cat, the only reason why this one started eating dry food so fast is because he was used to his mouth being painful. Getting teeth out isn't that big of a deal, the worst thing is them being knocked out.

Thanks. I'm a bit worried that the vet will be questioning why I didn't get his teeth done earlier, but I didn't really know they were that bad until a few weeks ago. He's only 6. And he's gotten a bit skinny from not eating properly, but I don't think he's very skinny, it's hard to tell because he's really fluffy.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

They tend to feel pretty shocking when they come around. For the first 24 hours after you get them home, they'll be a bit dopey and pretty quiet, but they may get a little distressed if they try to get up and run around because they'll stumble a bit, like they're drunk.

The best thing is to keep them very quiet, and very warm. Put them somewhere nobody will disturb them and let them sleep off the after effects. Offer food and water but don't push it. If they're still not drinking within 36 hours, call the vet again, they really should be back on some food and if not food, at least water, within 24 hours of waking up from the anaesthetic.

• Advertisement

Thanks. I've gotten loads of cats neutered, but never had ones get teeth out before. I'd imagine it's pretty painful. He's gonna be very mad at me! He's already seen me getting the cage out so I think he knows he's going to the vet!

Well the operations went well! The spay was fine and she's awake and recovered already, and she wasn't pregnant, but the vet said she probably would have come into heat in about a week, so good thing I got her done now. The other cat has some teeth left on one side, and only one on the other side, but kept his remaining 3 canine teeth, so he'll be fine. He's a bit pissed off but he's on painkillers so he'll be fine :) The teeth weren't that bad once she cleaned off the tartar, and she said his gums are actually fine, except for one around one canine tooth that he broke when he got knocked down.

I got to see a labrador being spayed to so that was interesting, and the vet said she'd call me during the summer if she had any interesting operations or emergency caesareans or anything and I could come in and watch them

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

The cat with the teeth out will be fine. My cat has no teeth at all, she had to get them all taken out due to severe peridontitis. She's absolutely perfect now though and it doesn't bother her in the slightest.

He will of course be sore for a few days, but once it starts to heal he should come on in leaps and bounds. And, as was mentioned above, given he was in pain anyway he might actually be more comfortable without the teeth, even with the wounds. I know my lady was.

One thing that my vet suggested was to heat her food a little for the first few days to bring out the aroma as this attracts the cat to the food and encourages them to eat. But really, let him gauge when and what he wants to eat, he will let you know how he is feeling.

Did the vet give you any antibiotics or mouthwash for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭Rochester

Just wondering how your kitties are doing now?

• Advertisement

Yeah I have four days of anti-biotics for him. I'm sure he'll be really happy with me making him swallow tablets when he has a sore mouth :rolleyes: oh well

He's fine now though, eating and everything. The kitten who got spayed isn't very happy today though, she looks like she's in pain. I put her outside this morning but she just sat there kinda hunched up so I brought her back in. She's just a bit uncomfortable I'd say, but I'm sure she'll be fine. I'll keep and eye on her.

I just saw the other cat outside chasing a bird, so he must be fine, he can't catch birds though cos he's a bit blind in one eye! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭shanagarry

Glad he's doing well. I used to crush the antibitic and put it in her food and she would eat it no prob. Or else mixed into a little bit of pate - she would take your hand off for pate.

shanagarry wrote: »
    Glad he's doing well. I used to crush the antibitic and put it in her food and she would eat it no prob. Or else mixed into a little bit of pate - she would take your hand off for pate.

It depends on the cat really, I had one that was awful for tablets, squirmed alot and a fussy eater, the best thing for her was to kind of sit on top of her had shove the thing down her neck. My other one doesn't wet food and alot of things have a bad effect on his digestion, with him he curls up into a frightened ball and I just hold the back of his neck to keep his head up and use one of those pill poppers, oddly enough it only works if I sit on the floor, doesn't happen if I sit on a chair/couch.

Just stick what the cat is used to, don't worry about hurting it, it'll be over in a few seconds

Most of my cats will eat tablets crushed into their food or put inside a bit of ham, but this one won't! Luckily he's one of the more laid back cats, so making him swallow tablets isn't too bad. I'm a bit scared with big tom cats cos I got a bad bite from one of mine when making him swallow a tablet once!

One of my cats won't eat the tablet whatever I do and she's pretty vicious so I don't make her swallow them, so she always needs a spot on wormer. The others get tablets cos they're cheaper :D

morganafay wrote: »
    Most of my cats will eat tablets crushed into their food or put inside a bit of ham, but this one won't! Luckily he's one of the more laid back cats, so making him swallow tablets isn't too bad. I'm a bit scared with big tom cats cos I got a bad bite from one of mine when making him swallow a tablet once!

One of my cats won't eat the tablet whatever I do and she's pretty vicious so I don't make her swallow them, so she always needs a spot on wormer. The others get tablets cos they're cheaper :D

I'm just thinking, I know that instead of some tablets the vet can give a slow release injection. It might be helpful for the future, or if your having a lot of trouble the vet may be able to give him in an injection.

I should have asked for injections to bring home for him really, but the tablets will do, I'll manage it :) As long as I avoid touching his sore gums I guess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 116 ✭✭t4k30

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

morganafay wrote: »
    The kitten who got spayed isn't very happy today though, she looks like she's in pain. I put her outside this morning but she just sat there kinda hunched up so I brought her back in.

How's this one doing now? That hunched up posture accompanied with fluffing up of the fur can be a sign of a high temperature which could be an infection, so if she's continuing like that today I'd take her back to the vet. Check her wound for signs of redness, heat, oozing, weeping or swelling too, and if it shows any of those take her back to the vet.

Hopefully she's better today. Also check that she's not gotten dehydrated - scruff her very gently (you can just pinch the scruff up with two fingers) and then release, watch how quickly it returns to its normal position. If its at all slow in returning to its normal position it can be a sign of dehydration. Cats often won't drink when they're miserable. You can use a syringe barrell (no needle), to gently syringe cool water into the corner of her mouth, or use a teaspoon to dribble a bit in if she seems a bit dry.

t4k30 wrote: »

Aw that's really cute. :) After one of my cats got neutered he was completely high and running around jumping on things, and it's weird because back then he hated being indoors and would be really nervous if he was, but he was completley hyper!

How's this one doing now? That hunched up posture accompanied with fluffing up of the fur can be a sign of a high temperature which could be an infection, so if she's continuing like that today I'd take her back to the vet. Check her wound for signs of redness, heat, oozing, weeping or swelling too, and if it shows any of those take her back to the vet.

Hopefully she's better today. Also check that she's not gotten dehydrated - scruff her very gently (you can just pinch the scruff up with two fingers) and then release, watch how quickly it returns to its normal position. If its at all slow in returning to its normal position it can be a sign of dehydration. Cats often won't drink when they're miserable. You can use a syringe barrell (no needle), to gently syringe cool water into the corner of her mouth, or use a teaspoon to dribble a bit in if she seems a bit dry.

Thanks but she's fine now anyway :) Yesterday morning she was quite hunched up, and just seemed very uncomfortable more than anything, but she got a bit better during the day. And today she's ok, not 100% but she's outside walking around and she's eating and drinking fine. The incision looks fine, I'm just keeping an eye on it anyway. I think just because she's very small she took it worse than most older cats do.

• Advertisement
Advertisement