Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kelloggs Fruit Loops

Options
  • 12-05-2010 3:58pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭

Why don't they sell them in the UK or Ireland? They seem to be one of the most popular cereals in America & Asia.

I know you can get cheap alternatives in Lidls & places like that but its not the same as kelloggs brand.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,737 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Probably All the Colouring & Sugar Tbh i remember as a Kid they Sold Lucky Charms here then they dissapeared :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

I was looking at the ingredients, no E numbers, but "RED #40; BLUE #2; TURMERIC COLOR; YELLOW #6; ZINC OXIDE; ANNATTO COLOR; BLUE #1; "
    and I think some of those colours aren't allowed over here anymore (look at smarties).
    It probably was due to the sugars etc.
    Lucky Charms have a similar list. I know you can buy those for around 7/8euro a box in some gourmet shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭Pigwidgeon

You can get them and Lucky Charms in Donnybrook Fair for about a tenner I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NaasPreacher

tdv123 wrote: »
    Why don't they sell them in the UK or Ireland? They seem to be one of the most popular cereals in America & Asia.

I know you can get cheap alternatives in Lidls & places like that but its not the same as kelloggs brand.

Tesco Extra in Naas have them at the moment for €3.69 a box

• Registered Users Posts: 39 NaasPreacher

Probably All the Colouring & Sugar Tbh i remember as a Kid they Sold Lucky Charms here then they dissapeared :mad:

I remember Lucky Charms when I first moved here in '95. They didn't last long. I am a 57 year old granddad and they are my favourite. I buy them from Amazon UK by subscription and pay no shipping.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 9,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ciarrai76

Tesco's are selling these now, at least they are in Cork as my friend got them there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,755 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

They really remind me of corn pops in terms of taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Dean_f

star-pants wrote: »
    I was looking at the ingredients, no E numbers, but "RED #40; BLUE #2; TURMERIC COLOR; YELLOW #6; ZINC OXIDE; ANNATTO COLOR; BLUE #1; "
    and I think some of those colours aren't allowed over here anymore (look at smarties).
    It probably was due to the sugars etc.
    Lucky Charms have a similar list. I know you can buy those for around 7/8euro a box in some gourmet shops.

There wouldn't be any e numbers since they're an EU thing. Annatto colour as in your post, for example, is E160b. So i'm sure there are plenty of things that would be e numbers if they were made over here.

As for where to get them, the only places I've seen them are the shops that import american stuff. Donnybrook fair, happy pills etc. and they're up around a tenner a box!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Saw them in Tesco in Nutgrove over the weekend, half price something stupid like under €2 (could be wrong but they were cheap)

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

I got these about 20 mins ago. €1.84 in tesco half price :)

Nephew has reported they are a little bland though!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Do they actually taste like fruit? I remember I got a box of knock off fruit loops in lidl a few years ago and they were horrible

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

phasers wrote: »
    Do they actually taste like fruit? I remember I got a box of knock off fruit loops in lidl a few years ago and they were horrible

Nope, tasted no fruit at all, just like eating honey nut loops without the honey

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭FIRE

phasers wrote: »

Mine actually tasted like eating crackerbread!!!! WTF :eek:

No real taste at all from them to be honest like scudzilla said, could be a lot more fruitier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Tesco in Nutgrove have them half price at 1.64

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,095 ✭✭✭Wurly

alie wrote: »
    Tesco in Nutgrove have them half price at 1.64

Saw them there today myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

Incredibly disappointing. In fact I actively dislike the orange flavour ones, thus have to either a) pick them out or b) eat around them. It is likely that following course a) I will end up with a box of orange fruit loops!

Will not be buying again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Yi Harr

Reminiscing of time spent in the States I bought a packet of the promotional ones in Tesco a while back. As others have said they were pretty tasteless.

I decided to email Kelloggs about the lack of flavour in the cereal and got the below email in reply.

Dear Mr YH,

Thank you for contacting us regarding Kellogg's Froot Loops, I was sorry to hear that you have been disappointed with the UK version of this product.
    Due to European legislation we have been unable to produce Froot Loops to the same specification as the US product. The formulations are different, including sugar and salt levels and the UK version has been produced with natural colourings and flavourings which will account for the differences in appearance and taste between the two products. The flavouring in UK Froot Loops is derived from a citrus blend of lemon, lime, orange, grapefruit and lemongrass.

Thank you for contacting us with your comments which have been passed to our Marketing Department for their reference.

Kind Regards,

Peter Newton
    Consumer Services Representative

I suppose at least it explains why they are so bland relative to their american counterparts.

Advertisement