Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Connection

• 12-05-2010 4:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Hello

I just moved to Cork, lovely city, but I'm having some problems getting broadband to the appartment.

I live at South Terrace and when I called UPC they told me that I live in a "wireless zone" and that I need to get wireless broadband. My question: Is there any way to get a cable connection where I live? If there isn't; can anyone recomend a good wireless connection that has unlimited download?

Thankful for any helpful answers :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Swede

Bump, pls need help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

A) "Unlimited Download" doesn't really exist for Home users
    B) "Unlimited Download" doesn't at all exist for Wireless users.

Your options are:
    1) Cable (UPC), to them Wireless means MMDS, i.e. TV only, no Internet available without fixed cable., 120G limit or more.
    2) DSL (broadband via phone Network). Need phone wires. 20G to 120G Limit
    3) Fixed Wireless (Digiweb, Permanet etc. Metro is good if you can get it). Can be 30G up to 60G limit.
    4) Mobile Internet via Mobile Phone network, mis-sold as Mobile Broadband. (It's not Broadband). O2, Vodafone, Meteor and 3. Perhaps 10G limit
    5) VSAT. Two Way Internet via satellite. 2G to 10G limit. Needs 90cm dish. Expensive. But cheaper next year if KaSat is successful (€20?) and maybe only 50cm dish.

A FUP (Fair Useage Policy) is a Cap (Limit) where they won't tell you what it is till you break it.

You can add WiFi (wireless to your laptop/PC) to any of these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 Swede

Ah, ok. I'm used to 100mb fiber connection back home, guess I'll have to adapt... I just wished there was some unlimited option, even if it's not very fast, since I play a lot of games online.

Thanks for answering watty.

Advertisement