Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick life after Dell RTE 9.35 tonight.

Options
  • 12-05-2010 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭

Life after Dell, ready for all the doom + gloom. I can only imagine.
    Every time limerick on the telly seems doom + gloom.
    Hopefully there will be some success stories too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

that was a serious let down now in all fairness! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Hill Bicks

what happens to the empty manufacturing plant? did they sell or move all the machinery and could an Irish start up use the facility?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,960 ✭✭✭DarkJager

I was expecting more from this to be honest, very light on substance. They got some nice shots of the city though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Hill Bicks wrote: »
    what happens to the empty manufacturing plant? did they sell or move all the machinery and could an Irish start up use the facility?

It's empty and up for sale/let. All the equipment has been auctioned off. It's simply too big for a single start up but i could see it being split up into sections and have several start-up's working in there. its an excellent facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

It wasn't as doom + gloom as i expected which is good.

Limerick looked nice.

Pity they didn't show the knock on effects, a lots of people who never worked for Dell have been effected too and never got redundancy.

Anyway life goes on :)

• Advertisement

Pity they didn't show the knock on effects, a lots of people who never worked for Dell have been effected too and never got redundancy

yes, i was hoping to see that highlighted too, given that there two weeks ago i had two friends down from dublin and i decided to take them down cruises street, most of the shops were closed down and gone, it was embarrassing!

limerick has become a ghost town and i found myself wondering why the hell are they showing poland? that guys a farmer, he at least has an income! the guy on the dole (who wasn't an ex-dell employee) came across as mr. "hard maahhnnn", an embarrassing representation of limerick, and as for the guy from the DRWA, well, that leaves the other 1,887 ex-dell workers that we didnt hear anything about, plus as you say all the secondary workers.

the makers of the documentary could have done a much better job by interviewing local business owners and people on the street, now, even go out on the street in the morning, stand on an empty criuses street (once a bustling busy street) and you'll see what life "after dell" is like in limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Limerick doesn't deserve its reputation according to the fella who was going to dig the face off the social welfare worker :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

Don't agree with any of the above sentiments. I thought this was a very solid production. It was primarily a human interest piece and benefitted greatly from no narrative. The stories were heartfelt and moving and managed to convey well the human cost of the Dell closure.
    It was never intended to be an economic analaysis, rather a character story. I thought Tommy was a breath of fresh air on the programme. He was trying to stay positive amidst the gloom of unemployment and the comment about the social worker was just out of frustration. I thought it was funny actually.
    Denis Ryan emerged with a lot of credit from this programme. The man got off his hole and fought hard for workers futures. He should be commended.

Aidric wrote: »
    Don't agree with any of the above sentiments. I thought this was a very solid production. It was primarily a human interest piece and benefitted greatly from no narrative. The stories were heartfelt and moving and managed to convey well the human cost of the Dell closure.

aah right, ok NOW i see the angle where they were coming from, a human interest piece, i misunderstood, i was expecting a bit more like a prime time special... :o
    It was never intended to be an economic analaysis, rather a character story. I thought Tommy was a breath of fresh air on the programme.

He was trying to stay positive amidst the gloom of unemployment and the comment about the social worker was just out of frustration. I thought it was funny actually.

the makers could have surely had the common sense to edit out some of tommy's "frustrations"/confrontations, and not have him appear on national tv seemingly lacking the intelligence to coherently make a point. turning said fresh air blue and making threats of violence, broadcast on national tv, could have landed him in hot water, frustrations or not! even the fact you thought it was humorous when it was meant to convey frustration, negates its poignance if you get me?
    Denis Ryan emerged with a lot of credit from this programme. The man got off his hole and fought hard for workers futures. He should be commended.

i'd love to agree with you here, i really would, as i do admire the man for his organisational skills, and the fact that he did step up and give a **** about others besides himself. but, a commendation? an article in the limerick post? a peoples award? no, i do agree with you, but what form of recognition could he get really?

Limerick doesn't deserve its reputation according to the fella who was going to dig the face off the social welfare worker :rolleyes:

Have you tried dealing with the social welfare here? I completely understand his frustration, and yes it certainly does get to a point where you are just about ready to go pay an angry visit in person after 300+ attempts to find out where your claim is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

hmm its not on the rte player website wonder will it be was gonna watch this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Scram wrote: »
    hmm its not on the rte player website wonder will it be was gonna watch this.

Will be up tomorrow I'd imagine. It will definitely be put up, the only thing that gets put up with urgency on the player is the news.

I thought it was a good production. It can be argued that they should have edited out some of tommy's statements but for me that helps convey the harsh realities of life on the dole. Just my 2 cents.

As an aside, what side of limerick is/was the Dell plant?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭falan

Sounds interesting. I too will try to catch it on the RTE player..

Delta Kilo wrote: »
    Will be up tomorrow I'd imagine. It will definitely be put up, the only thing that gets put up with urgency on the player is the news.

I thought it was a good production. It can be argued that they should have edited out some of tommy's statements but for me that helps convey the harsh realities of life on the dole. Just my 2 cents.

it was out in raheen industrial estate, if thats any good to you?

if its not on the rte player anyway i have it recorded on sky+ if you were really that badly stuck to watch it... :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

I agree with you, the sheer frustration of being out of work for 12mnts plus and then the airheads in SW incorrectly deducting your weekly payment when you have a house and kids to feed....I'm pretty sure all of us would want to "dig the head" off them also.

Also think they got some great shots of the city which was nice for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭petergfiffin

I thought overall it was pretty good. I think to truly capture the impact of what happened would take a series of programmes as if you tried to capture it all in one programme it just loses focus so I'd say the producers just chose one angle and ran with that and did a good job. I also thought it was more powerful that you didn't have some annoying voice prattling on over it, the stories stood by themselves.

Regardless of what you might have thought about Tommy's language I think it really captured the frustration that builds up over when you have to deal with state agencies and their often pointless procedures. For me I thought the story of Mike was really powerful, to see the change from when he was on the dole to when he was finally on a training course and finally had a bit of hope....like watching 2 different men.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Often confusion with some people about the location of the Dell Plant(s).

There were 4 buildings at the height of things. 3 in Raheen and one in Plassey. The white Dell building on the TV was EMF 3 which was the head office. Upstairs were the offices and the main production floor was in adjoining units behind.

The red brick building you saw them walking over to was EMF1, the original Dell Building. They have all moved back over to this building and the production floor(as it was years ago) has been sectioned off into offices now.

That's why they were traipsing over because HR & Payroll had moved back over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Berty wrote: »
    Often confusion with some people about the location of the Dell Plant(s).

There were 4 buildings at the height of things. 3 in Raheen and one in Plassey. The white Dell building on the TV was EMF 3 which was the head office. Upstairs were the offices and the main production floor was in adjoining units behind.

The red brick building you saw them walking over to was EMF1, the original Dell Building. They have all moved back over to this building and the production floor(as it was years ago) has been sectioned off into offices now.

That's why they were traipsing over because HR & Payroll had moved back over there.

I may be wrong, but wasn't this originally something else?

Atari_2600.png

- Hopefully soon Dell will be as irrelevant and forgotten about to the People of Limerick.

Raiser wrote: »
    - Hopefully soon Dell will be as irrelevant and forgotten about to the People of Limerick.

Cork people never forgot about Ford or Dunlop and its impact on their city so it may be spoken about less but never forgotten.

• Advertisement

Cork people never forgot about Ford or Dunlop and its impact on their city so it may be spoken about less but never forgotten.

What was Limericks previous biggest closures?

Ferenka and AST are the two biggest that spring to mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

I may be wrong, but wasn't this originally something else?

Atari_2600.png

Yes it was Atari a long long time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

LOL! Well spotted.

Was he not "only messin' sham" though? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

I think i too would want to dig the head of social welfare if i had kids to feed + mortgage to pay + bills coming in the door.

At that stage of the program he had been on dole for about 1 year. And he's still getting messed about. Hopefully its sorted by now.

Anyway i hope he got the job he was hoping for.
    If i was an employer i'd have no problem hiring someone honest + trying to stay positive,

Best of luck to all in the program. + all the others.

What was Limericks previous biggest closures?

Ferenka and AST are the two biggest that spring to mind.

I dont know what Ferenka was but I know a lot of people from Wang went to AST and most of those went onto Dell but then the bubble burst.
    I think i too would want to dig the head of social welfare if i had kids to feed + mortgage to pay + bills coming in the door.

At that stage of the program he had been on dole for about 1 year. And he's still getting messed about. Hopefully its sorted by now.

I respect your opinion but here's mine.(joy of internet :rolleyes:)

He may have a loose tongue and say fvck this and fvck that but when he was in the Social Welfare office the mic was still on and he was fvcking the staff out of it. That's not respectful and I thought "to hell with him" when I heard that.

I highlighted "I think I would" but you don't tell the staff that you want to, that's threatening behaviour and when you visit / work in the social welfare office you understand quite quickly why they have that glass between them and "us". I have heard some heated arguments in there.

His wife was correct though in one sense. She said that they expect you to know their own internal process about filling in forms, how long you wait and other stuff. I even had an R&R thread about my recent experiences in social but again you don't curse at them or threaten them.

Its nothing to do with our perception of Limerick on TV, its respectful to other human beings.

Its nothing to do with our perception of Limerick on TV, its respectful to other human beings.

True - but in another sense you do need to earn respect, its not an automatic right and if they were to fcuk People over then its disrespectful on their part as they are seriously threatening Peoples standard of living and that of their Families.

Until you've truly experienced how poor the SW is run, you can't begin to imagine the frustration of dealing with them. You call the phone number, ask about your claim, get put on hold and then cut off. You ring again, no one answers. You ring again, talk to someone, and they blow you off telling you to call back in a week. 1 week later, still no payment, you ring again and it repeats.

In my own experience, I spent nearly 2 months waiting for a backpay cheque from them when I was being told everytime I rang that it would be with me within a couple of days. The banks, credit unions and car finance companies don't wait for the SW, so you can imagine the bills stack up fast. Now add to that a SW office which is completely uninterested in helping you, can't give you a straight answer as to when you will get payment and it becomes nightmarishly frustrating very fast.

I'm normally a calm person, but my attempts to get answers from the SW actually started to make me feel sick with anger. Every day the post shows up and yet again there's no cheque, you can't help but feel the rage building up in you. And you can imagine when that rage is constantly building up, week after week, you do get to a point where you are ready to go get answers with your fists.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

topper75 wrote: »
    LOL! Well spotted.

Was he not "only messin' sham" though? :)

I used to work with Tommy in a previous job and he was always like that a bit of a hot head but harmless was the type of guy that could say something to you and apologies a few mins later, really felt for him last night as he is just a normal joe soap with a young family trying to put food on the table

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭sleepyman

Really felt for all of them.Tommy is trying to stay positive so fair play to him in that respect.
    Where is this government's job strategy?
    All I see & hear is Brian Lenihan trying to balance the books when creating & retaining jobs should be the order of the day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9 katece1121

One of the reasons they are bad in there is that the staff are untrained and left to figure things out for themselves...its a horrible job I'd say.

I thought it was a big let down - it was just of no substance whatsoever.....no one really spoke of their real feelings and there didnt seem to be extreme hardship on anyone. The elderly country man was probably the most honest in it. I guess he gave a good outlook of the emotional side of losing a job and how its not all about money.

Advertisement