Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick life after Dell RTE 9.35 tonight.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Berty wrote: »
    I dont know what Ferenka was but I know a lot of people from Wang went to AST and most of those went onto Dell but then the bubble burst.

I respect your opinion but here's mine.(joy of internet :rolleyes:)

He may have a loose tongue and say fvck this and fvck that but when he was in the Social Welfare office the mic was still on and he was fvcking the staff out of it. That's not respectful and I thought "to hell with him" when I heard that.

I highlighted "I think I would" but you don't tell the staff that you want to, that's threatening behaviour and when you visit / work in the social welfare office you understand quite quickly why they have that glass between them and "us". I have heard some heated arguments in there.

His wife was correct though in one sense. She said that they expect you to know their own internal process about filling in forms, how long you wait and other stuff. I even had an R&R thread about my recent experiences in social but again you don't curse at them or threaten them.

Its nothing to do with our perception of Limerick on TV, its respectful to other human beings.

Yep, as frustrated as I got with the delays I had in there, I made sure to be polite when in there and never lost the head with any of the counter staff because at the end of the day they are just doing a job based on what they have to follow.

Anytime I wanted to complain about something, I would ask for a supervisor but make clear to the person at the counter that I had no problem with them just with the system that was in place.

And now when I go in once a month to sign on, I make sure to say good morning and make some small chat. It costs me nothing to be nice, and from having worked in retail for years I know what it is like to interact with people across a counter, so I try to treat people in the same way I liked to be treated when I was dealing with the public.

I keep my swearing in those situations for when I go back home or to the car and have a good whinge to myself.

I must say that I felt for the man called Mike in the show. He came across as a man who liked having a routine and a simple life, and there was a quiet dignity about him, and you could almost see shame in the man when he was not working, not that he had anything to be ashamed of.

The overall show was a missed opportunity I think. It should have been either split over a few weeks at an hour a time, or been done in one go with a length of about two hours. I also think that the lack of the promised funding should have been addressed, and both elected and local authorities who were quick to make promises after the initial news should have been approached with regards to what they promised against what was actually done.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

Kess73 wrote: »
    The overall show was a missed opportunity I think. It should have been either split over a few weeks at an hour a time, or been done in one go with a length of about two hours. I also think that the lack of the promised funding should have been addressed, and both elected and local authorities who were quick to make promises after the initial news should have been approached with regards to what they promised against what was actually done.

Unfortunately there is no RTE Limerick so people from outside of Limerick wouldn't care that much at all.

If there was a show about people from Waterford Crystal I wouldn't be going out of my way to watch it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,590 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

As I said in my earlier post this wasn't an economic or political analysis of the situation. It was a human interest piece. They dealt with funding viz a viz the European structural fund. If you were watching there were representatives from the European parliament at the meetings in the South Court, Sean Kelly & Alan Kelly were two such members. Then again maybe you are just looking to have another pop at local councillors and TD's.
    As for the people having a pop at a clearly frustrated Tommy, laughable tbh.

Aidric wrote: »
    As I said in my earlier post this wasn't an economic or political analysis of the situation. It was a human interest piece. They dealt with funding viz a viz the European structural fund. If you were watching there were representatives from the European parliament at the meetings in the South Court, Sean Kelly & Alan Kelly were two such members. Then again maybe you are just looking to have another pop at local councillors and TD's.
    As for the people having a pop at a clearly frustrated Tommy, laughable tbh.

No I was not saying it just to have a go at local councillors, but I do think that following up on promises made by them and the Tanaiste is still relevant even if the show was taken as purely a human interest piece.

Those promises had an effect on people when they were made in that it gave a glimmer of hope to some, so for those that saw nothing materialise, it was a crushing blow, one that would be relevant in a human interest piece, and I think it would have done a lot to explain further some of the frustrations on show during the piece.

But if you want to simply see what I said as me having trying to have a go at those councillors and TDs, then that is your choice.

Unfortunately there is no RTE Limerick so people from outside of Limerick wouldn't care that much at all.

If there was a show about people from Waterford Crystal I wouldn't be going out of my way to watch it.

That is where I will disagree with you. If the show had been longer and touched more on promises made etc, and gone into more detail with regards to the social welfare process, and the impact that had.

If it had added a bit more from a political and economic viewpoint to the human interest story, then they could have ended up with a show that had people all over the country saying "that happened to me" or "I was told something like that" despite living in other counties and having worked elsewhere or having lost jobs elsewhere.

The being from Limerick bit would not be the relevant bit then, but the experience that the featured people were and are going through would become more, imho, real tp people in the same boat all over the country.

• Advertisement

No I was not saying it just to have a go at local councillors, but I do think that following up on promises made by them and the Tanaiste is still relevant even if the show was taken as purely a human interest piece.

Those promises had an effect on people when they were made in that it gave a glimmer of hope to some, so for those that saw nothing materialise, it was a crushing blow, one that would be relevant in a human interest piece, and I think it would have done a lot to explain further some of the frustrations on show during the piece.
    Hang on. 14.5 million was made available to workers made redundant through a European globalisation fund. This was to be used for retraining and viable new business start up's.
    Therefore I'm not sure what you mean by 'saw nothing materialise'. A Mid West task force was established by the Tanaiste and chaired by Denis Brosnan. They delivered an interim report in July 09. An action plan on the back of that is attempting to address the key findings, in as much as possible within the restrictions of the 2010 city and county council budgets.

That Interim report can be found here

The Dept of Enterprise response from Jan 10 can be found here

Hang on. 14.5 million was made available to workers made redundant through a European globalisation fund. This was to be used for retraining and viable new business start up's.
    Therefore I'm not sure what you mean by 'saw nothing materialise'. A Mid West task force was established by the Tanaiste and chaired by Denis Brosnan. They delivered an interim report in July 09. An action plan on the back of that is attempting to address the key findings, in as much as possible within the restrictions of the 2010 city and county council budgets.

That Interim report can be found here

The Dept of Enterprise response from Jan 10 can be found here

Both reports you have linked are not specific to what I am talking about though. Both are for the region as a whole and do not go into great detail on the Dell lost jobs and the knock on lost jobs.

Actually the fund set up was announced as being 23 million, 14.8 million from the European Commission with the rest meant to come from the government, and yes a report was delivered in 2009 and another plan was put in place early this year.

But going by comments on Live95FM this morning on this very subject it seems that things are not progressing in the manner it was put on paper. There were claims made on the radio this morning as to how much of the fund has actually been released and used by the workers from Dell and those who were affected by Dell. The figures mentioned on the show are the ones I would like to see either verified as being true or verified as incorrect and the proper version put forward.

I could not care less what reports or speeches Mary Coughlan gave about what is going to be done, I would be more curious to actually see accurate figures as to what has been done, and how many of the ex workers have been put on courses or alternative schemes or employment against how many are still waiting for anything at all to come from the Action plan and fund.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,538 ✭✭✭A2LUE42

Raiser wrote: »
    I may be wrong, but wasn't this originally something else?

Atari_2600.png

- Hopefully soon Dell will be as irrelevant and forgotten about to the People of Limerick.

There are still 1000 people employed by Dell in Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

A2LUE42 wrote: »
    There are still 1000 people employed by Dell in Limerick.

Is it that many, never realised it was that kind of number? Sorry to all concerned for overlooking this when I made that earlier dumb comment re. hopefully Dell will be gone forever!!!

:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

xsiborg wrote: »
    yes, i was hoping to see that highlighted too, given that there two weeks ago i had two friends down from dublin and i decided to take them down cruises street, most of the shops were closed down and gone, it was embarrassing!

limerick has become a ghost town and i found myself wondering why the hell are they showing poland? that guys a farmer, he at least has an income! the guy on the dole (who wasn't an ex-dell employee) came across as mr. "hard maahhnnn", an embarrassing representation of limerick, and as for the guy from the DRWA, well, that leaves the other 1,887 ex-dell workers that we didnt hear anything about, plus as you say all the secondary workers.

fecks sake all the guy had was a few ducks and hens!- wasn't like Southfork or anything.
    I thought it was a good program- had a lot of empathy for all concerned- didn't think tommy was trying to be a 'hard man'- i'd say just very frustrated with his situation.
    But he would have come across better if someone edited a bit of his stronger language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

fecks sake all the guy had was a few ducks and hens!

not withstanding about €30k in redundancy money lump sum after 11 years service, poor fellow... :rolleyes:

SHOCKER: the media are very adept at not showing the full picture when it suits them. that wasnt fresh air he was walking on either, that was land, and lots of it, and a fine big hayshed!

But he would have come across better if someone edited a bit of his stronger language.

yes, i did make this point earlier, the producers could, and SHOULD have edited those scenes out. i think we all would have understood his frustration with the situation, there was no need to show potential future employers these scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

xsiborg wrote: »
    not withstanding about €30k in redundancy money after 11 years service, poor fellow... :rolleyes:

Money cannot cure depression or loneliness. I have felt very dispondent since losing my job recently.

He did say he was glad to be on the course with people to talk to. He said he missed his friends at work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

Money cannot cure depression or loneliness. I have felt very dispondent since losing my job recently.

He did say he was glad to be on the course with people to talk to. He said he missed his friends at work.

fair point, well made. i do apologise to posters if i come across as a bit narky or picky and snipey, its just that i meet a lot of people that are very bitter about the way dell left and they are now unemployed, but when they were in dell it was hell and so on.

unemployment is a terrible thing to befall anyone and i wouldnt wish it on anyone because i understand the emotional turmoil it causes, but in these times of economic doom and gloom its time to pick ourselves up and start seeing the positives that for too long the celtic tiger had us take for granted.

we should see unemployment as a new opportunity to "re-invent" ourselves and kick start a new chapter in our lives, maybe look to starting our own business doing something we're good at, something we feel passionate about, create employment opportunities for ourselves so that we're not dependent on these large multi-nationals any more, a "micro-economy" as such.

lets be honest, we cant depend on the politicians, we cant depend on the banks, we can only depend on ourselves, and start to realise the value and support of those around us. we can either fall back and "accept" that unemployment is destined to be our lot for the foreseeable future, or we can change it, small steps will lead on to bigger and better things.

im self employed myself, so even though much of what i just said may sound like an incoherent rant (i am sadly lacking Raisers eloquence! ;)), point being ladies and gentlemen, that we have it within ourselves to get ourselves out of this mess, all it takes is a little belief in oneself...

/rant... really hadnt intended to go on this long! tl;dr even for me! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

where are those friends from work now? vanished, disappeared, emigrated? all of them? why not try to find out their mobile numbers, ring and meeting them at home/in the park/or even in a pub to have a chat?

That's what I've done with my friends from work after leaving a company... Is it that complicated?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

The guy lives on the Limerick/Kerry border that's about an hour away from Limerick, it may have something to do with not meeting up with the lads in work anymore. I'd say it's the camaraderie in work he misses. The routine, the same faces the crack and joke at the breakfast table. Probably feels isolated where he is and people do tend to just leave and turn their backs on the old job and get on with their lives.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭Millie

where are those friends from work now? vanished, disappeared, emigrated? all of them? why not try to find out their mobile numbers, ring and meeting them at home/in the park/or even in a pub to have a chat?

That's what I've done with my friends from work after leaving a company... Is it that complicated?

But it's the routine and the sense of purpose and belonging to something that he missed.
    You can't meet up with your friends everyday so I'm sure it was the isolation and trying to fill the day that he found the hardest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

If he is suffering from depression maybe he should see a doctor with his €30,000. work is for work not talking to "friends" so in that respect i feel nothing for him.. if there so called friends and not colleagues he shouldnt be that lonely as im sure they will drop round for a cup of tea..

I lost my Job 16 Months ago wheres my:

Documentary
    Redundancy
    Globalisation fund
    Workers committee
    Retraining

Nobody gave a rat's a** about me or my family or my repayments or my sanity and havent in 16 months.. The Dell workers should consider themselves very lucky that anyone even cares and for the fact they had a solid job for last 10 years and that they got redundancy and that they have the chance to be retrained.

Maybe if they werent all spending their wages in the south court bar at lunchtime for the last ten years they would be a little more well off and less depressed.. They were on decent money for years, along with a redundancy package.

Christ above. ^^

Sorry if i sound heartless but ENOUGH with the ex Dell workers already! Next they will be having a reunion.

• Advertisement

Stab*City wrote: »
    I lost my Job 16 Months ago wheres my:

Documentary
    Redundancy
    Globalisation fund
    Workers committee
    Retraining

Nobody gave a rat's a** about me or my family or my repayments or my sanity and havent in 16 months.. The Dell workers should consider themselves very lucky that anyone even cares and for the fact they had a solid job for last 10 years and that they got redundancy and that they have the chance to be retrained.

Maybe if they werent all spending their wages in the south court bar at lunchtime for the last ten years they would be a little more well off and less depressed.. They were on decent money for years, along with a redundancy package.
    Christ above. ^^

Its all true in a way, of course its far more commonplace for People who lose their jobs to finish some Friday evening and walk away with just the dole and the rain blowing in their face.

Just have to add a significant PR and Media element to make a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Don't agree with any of the above sentiments. I thought this was a very solid production. It was primarily a human interest piece and benefitted greatly from no narrative. The stories were heartfelt and moving and managed to convey well the human cost of the Dell closure.
    It was never intended to be an economic analaysis, rather a character story. I thought Tommy was a breath of fresh air on the programme. He was trying to stay positive amidst the gloom of unemployment and the comment about the social worker was just out of frustration. I thought it was funny actually.
    Denis Ryan emerged with a lot of credit from this programme. The man got off his hole and fought hard for workers futures. He should be commended.

Tommy is an absolute gentleman and is the salt of the earth and i think i'm right when i speak for him that he was talking the way he was cos of the frustration that had built up in him and i agree he was a breath of fresh air to see people air how they actually feel rather than trying to look like something they are not on camera.
    That was the true Tommy Kelly we saw there and i challenge people in his situation not to get annoyed like he did

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

OMG why is everyone so bitter towards ex Dell employees?!?!?! They don't deserve to be spoken about like that!

Yes I agree that it's wrong that its only the Dell workers that are highlighted in the media but that doesn't mean they deserve to be verbally abused either! They whole point is that the majority of these people have never worked in any other jobs, and therefore have no training and will find it very very hard to find alternative work. That combined with the fact that Limerick has been completely devastated by the number of businesses closing and downsizing due to Dell moving to Lodz!

Maybe you could all get off your high horses for 5 mins and try to put yourself in their position! They didn't ask to be made redudant.And so what if they were "spending their wages in the south court bar at lunchtime for the last ten years", if that's how they chose to spend their wages then so what! they were in permanent jobs and were more than entitled to spend it that way! No one is telling you how to spend your money!

[/rant]

I think i too would want to dig the head of social welfare if i had kids to feed + mortgage to pay + bills coming in the door.

At that stage of the program he had been on dole for about 1 year. And he's still getting messed about. Hopefully its sorted by now.

Anyway i hope he got the job he was hoping for.
    If i was an employer i'd have no problem hiring someone honest + trying to stay positive,

Best of luck to all in the program. + all the others.

People who mock Tommy's frustration or look down their noses at him have generally never struggled to put food on the table.
    I was talking to him recently and he was telling me he saves every copper in a money box to pay his ESB.
    Some people out there should take a leaf out of his book

OMG why is everyone so bitter towards ex Dell employees?!?!?! They don't deserve to be spoken about like that!

I thought he sounded generally pissed off, he explained why due to obvious comparison and basically just pointed out some facts really.... I don't think he was "verbally abusing" anyone.

Same applies for anyone who loses their job, grit your teeth, skill-up and hope for the bit of luck that puts you back on a wage.

- Its actually rare enough for Folk to be given any second consideration post unemployment bullet.
    amiable wrote: »
    People who mock Tommy's frustration or look down their noses at him have generally never struggled to put food on the table.
    I was talking to him recently and he was telling me he saves every copper in a money box to pay his ESB.
    Some people out there should take a leaf out of his book

I didn't pick up that kind of sentiment on here? I think he got a few sarky comments re. the dig the head offa them comments - We all have our moments and he was unlucky the Editor left them in as he prob regrets it.

Best of luck to him and to the (is it?) 400,000+ others in his position.

fecks sake all the guy had was a few ducks and hens!- wasn't like Southfork or anything.
    I thought it was a good program- had a lot of empathy for all concerned- didn't think tommy was trying to be a 'hard man'- i'd say just very frustrated with his situation.

That farmer mentioned several times about his cattle
    I wouldn't feel too sorry for him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

amiable wrote: »
    That farmer mentioned several times about his cattle
    I wouldn't feel too sorry for him

Are you for real?!?!?!?

They whole point is that the majority of these people have never worked in any other jobs, and therefore have no training and will find it very very hard to find alternative work. That combined with the fact that Limerick has been completely devastated by the number of businesses closing and downsizing due to Dell moving to Lodz!

Maybe you could all get off your high horses for 5 mins and try to put yourself in their position! They didn't ask to be made redudant.And so what if they were "spending their wages in the south court bar at lunchtime for the last ten years", if that's how they chose to spend their wages then so what! they were in permanent jobs and were more than entitled to spend it that way! No one is telling you how to spend your money!

Maybe you should get down off your horse. You obviously didnt read my post correctly as if you read it again you would notice that i am exactly in their position!!

I didnt ask to be made redundant. I didnt get a redundancy package.. Wheres my chearleading squad?

Oh and Tommy is sound.

Are you for real?!?!?!?

Are you?

The people in the program have assets. Land, Cattle, Cars, and Houses which is more than can be said for alot of other unemployed people..

• Advertisement

Are you for real?!?!?!?

for real about what?

Advertisement