Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Limerick life after Dell RTE 9.35 tonight.

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Stab*City wrote: »
    Wow when did poland become the 51st state.

52nd State.

Liverpool is the 51st State. ;)

51st-state.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 113 ✭✭alrightcuz

As your standing in the dole que looking round its hard to feel sorry for the people who have just got a redundancy package from of over 30 grand and are thinking of starting a new business while your pennyless,,,, doesnt matter which company gave it you still have it i haven't seen the inside of a pub in 12 months an i just got rid of sky to cover the childs club every month, my car ran out of petrol as i collected the kids from school and i had to leave it for 2 days till i could afford petrol the bank charged me 12.70 for a returned unpayed bill so now im down 12.70 thats a days food,,,,,

30,000 euro boo ****ing whoooooooo anyone in ireland that lost there job through a company have been blessed with years of a good wage and a giant redundancy package to help them through stop moaning..... and stop soaking all the resources that are there for real people in need.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,364 ✭✭✭campo

thats tough man hope things improve for you

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Alrightcuz hope things get better for you soon!

Tommy who was on the program didn't work in dell, so don't think he got big redundancy.

Thats what i wanted to see in the program "limerick" after Dell.
    I would say we all know someone who is unemployed who never worked in Dell the knock on effect. I know there is a global recession but so many small + big businesses closed soon after dell.

And as another thread says limerick has not had an ida job in 13 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 644 ✭✭✭filthymcnasty

Wheres this 30 grand figure coming from that the dell workers got? no doubt some got it and if they did so what??

There seems to be some resentment on here also that Dell in particular had a documentary made about them - i think that misses the point, the program was just to examine how peoples lives change when they lose their jobs- they could have worked anywhere. would any unemployed person here feel any better if a documentary was made about them when they got let go? probably not.

But the globalisation fund thing- don't really understand it but doesn't seem fair that one group of people should be entitled to extra eu dosh for training etc when everyone else gets jacksh1t-that said they can hardly be blamed for accepting it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

alrightcuz wrote: »
    As your standing in the dole que looking round its hard to feel sorry for the people who have just got a redundancy package from of over 30 grand and are thinking of starting a new business while your pennyless,,,, doesnt matter which company gave it you still have it i haven't seen the inside of a pub in 12 months an i just got rid of sky to cover the childs club every month, my car ran out of petrol as i collected the kids from school and i had to leave it for 2 days till i could afford petrol the bank charged me 12.70 for a returned unpayed bill so now im down 12.70 thats a days food,,,,,

30,000 euro boo ****ing whoooooooo anyone in ireland that lost there job through a company have been blessed with years of a good wage and a giant redundancy package to help them through stop moaning..... and stop soaking all the resources that are there for real people in need.

I'm out of work as well, and I got no redundancy package when I lost my job. All I got was the pleasure of arriving one morning and discovering there was no more work.

Things have been tight since then, and like yourself, there have been times when I could not afford something basic and just had to go without until the following week's benefit.

But I don't begrudge anyone who did get a redundancy package. All it means is that they were lucky enough to be with a company that tried to do something for the workers. They still had to put in the years of service to get that package.

I have empathy for anyone who is out of work. It is not a nice feeling for anyone who was used to getting up every day and going to work. Sure many of us may have bitched about our jobs, but as the days of being jobless turned to weeks, and those weeks turned to months, we would love to have those maligned jobs back.

I try to keep my mind occupied. I do jobs for people for free so that I can eat up some of the time in my days. I do a bit of volunteer work, and I am running and working out more than I did when I was competitively involved in sports.

Things like the insides of a pub or club don't exist right now, even simple things like a cinema trip every few months takes some planning, but it won't be forever.

The biggest bits of advice I can offer anyone in your position, in my position , and to the thousands in similar positions, is to try and stay positive as often as you can. Nobody can stay positive all the time, but try to just keep plugging away. Talk to people, if you don't want to do that irl, come online and vent or ramble.

Keep in touch with the banks if any money is owed on loans, mortgages, credit cards etc. Keep talking, explain situations, offer reduced payments or interest only payments. Don't be too proud not to explain how tight things are. Might seem obvious advice but so many people try to avoid calls from the banks and end up in worse trouble.

Just know that there are others like you, and we are all plugging away one day at a time right now.

I am looking forward to the days when I log on here and start to see names I know are unemployed putting up posts about having gotten a job. I hope I see a post like that from you amongst the first of those posts.

Advertisement