Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bargain Alerts

Options
  • 12-05-2010 5:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭

Every now and again a Bargain Alert thread will pop up for electronics, clothing etc. When something is not a bargain, posters generally reply to the thread, warning others that it's not really a bargain for whatever reason i.e. can be bought elsewhere for cheaper, sub-standard quality etc. I think it's fantastic that the BA forum has a community like this.

So then, why is there such a difference when a bargain alert for cheap meat comes up? Why are bannings being considered for people who comment on the quality of meat? All people are trying to do is warn others that the quality is bad, i.e. not a bargain. If cheap quality meat can be bought for cheap, then it is not a bargain and does not belong on the forum. Hence why there has been so much debate over this in the past.

I don't like the way the last few threads have been handled at all. Warnings of bans for anyone commenting on the quality of food is just ridiculous. There's nothing wrong with debating the quality of items that appear on the forum. It happens all the time with other threads, so why the exception for food-related threads?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

AFAIR (From the lidl chicken one anyway) the thread wasn't discussing quality or cheaper alternatives, it was people preaching about how the chickens were raised. It was unnecessary and not suitable to BA.

I'd wager that other threads followed a similar path.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,425 ✭✭✭Fidelis

phasers wrote: »
    it was people preaching about how the chickens were raised

Nope. The recurring argument was regarding the quality of the meat. The "bargains" were things like chicken kievs, sausages, burgers i.e. processed meat. Some people prefer not knowing what they're eating and that's fine for them, but there's no point in arguing that it's good quality or good value, when cheap-quality meat costs very little to buy.

One point that was continuously made was that just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's bad, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a snob :D

I'd love to round them all up and bring them to an abattoir, show them what goes into the "value" sausages/burgers/chicken kievs and see if they still think that €2 for some connective tissue and some flavouring is really a bargain :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Fidelis wrote: »
    Nope. The recurring argument was regarding the quality of the meat. The "bargains" were things like chicken kievs, sausages, burgers i.e. processed meat. Some people prefer not knowing what they're eating and that's fine for them, but there's no point in arguing that it's good quality or good value, when cheap-quality meat costs very little to buy.

One point that was continuously made was that just because it's cheap, doesn't mean it's bad, and anyone who thinks otherwise is a snob :D

I'd love to round them all up and bring them to an abattoir, show them what goes into the "value" sausages/burgers/chicken kievs and see if they still think that €2 for some connective tissue and some flavouring is really a bargain :)

Can you read your post back and honestly say that your issue is not one of you wanting to preach about animal cruelty in the wrong forum?

I really have no idea what animal cruelty has to do with this :confused:

My reason for posting this in the Feedback forum was to highlight the double-standard policy in the BA forum, e.g. one can point out that a piece of electronics is not a bargain, but not allowed to point out that a cheap piece of meat is not a bargain.

Falling on deaf ears here anyways, but I thought I'd try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I just read through this one. If the OP has issues it must be related to an older thread. But I didn't see anyone complaining - there was mention of meat content, crap protein, generally **** quality. But no bannings.

Maybe you should back up your OP with actual examples. You haven't actually tried yet - ears aren't deaf to actual complaints. But nobody here will do the digging for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Fidelis wrote: »

So, your problem is not actually with the so-called double standards, but that you have an issue with processed foods, and want to discuss that in an inappropriate forum. The Food & Drink forums is what you want. The discussion of the chicken kievs was closed because the bargain had expired, and in the BA forum, expired bargain threads get closed.

Do you have links to back up your argument, because without them, it looks like your argument is flawed.

Macros42 wrote: »
    there was mention of meat content, crap protein, generally **** quality. But no bannings.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=65699673&postcount=43
    jor el wrote: »
    So, your problem is not actually with the so-called double standards, but that you have an issue with processed foods, and want to discuss that in an inappropriate forum.
    No. Where have I said that I have a problem with processed food? Please don't try to steer the topic in a different direction.
    The Food & Drink forums is what you want.
    No. I'm in the right forum. Thanks.
    The discussion of the chicken kievs was closed because the bargain had expired, and in the BA forum, expired bargain threads get closed.
    I'm well aware of this, but the thread which I've linked to in this post was closed early because discussing the bargain wasn't allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,265 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I think it's okay to comment on quality if you stick to facts and don't get judgmental

these products obviously are produced to a certain standard and are not going to kill anybody. Most of the comments on the kievs come across as judgmental, over the top scaremongering. So they're processed with a low meat content, people can check the labels when they're buying, recommend a higher content Kiev at a reasonable price and let people make there own minds up

Fair point, Ghost Train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

I think it's okay to comment on quality if you stick to facts and don't get judgmental

I stuck to facts and felt ,even though I was completely open to criticism , was treated in an ignorant way.
    I didn't post in the kiev thread.

If google ads start advertising free colonoscopies in forums that show stuff like this ,then I couldn't care less.

Otherwise ,people on the site have every right to criticise stuff like this.

• Advertisement
Advertisement