Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Economics Question:

Options
  • 12-05-2010 5:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Can anybody give me a list of topics that I must know. I'm aware you can leave out parts of the course due to there being such a choice in questions in the exam, although I'm unsure of what I can and can't leave out.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 siobhanher

I'm pretty sure that there's a question every year on each of these (I could be wrong)
    • Demand, Supply and Elasticity
    • Land, Labour, Capital or Enterprise
    • Perfect Competition, Imperfect Competition, Monopoly or Oligopoly(due to come up)
    • International Trade
    • Money and Banking (know about NAMA)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

siobhanher wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that there's a question every year on each of these (I could be wrong)
    • Demand, Supply and Elasticity
    • Land, Labour, Capital or Enterprise
    • Perfect Competition, Imperfect Competition, Monopoly or Oligopoly(due to come up)
    • International Trade
    • Money and Banking (know about NAMA)
    Yeah, these come up every year. If we're lucky, we'll get 2 questions on the first point there. Oligopoly will more than likely come up, but I wouldn't be stupid and only study that, they do mix them up sometimes.
    Hopefully there'll be a Economic Development question.
    If you study those points up in that post there, you're bound to be fine.
    Make sure you know definitions word for word too, miss one word, and you might not get a single mark for it, harsh but its just the way it works in Economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭stainluss

Make sure you know definitions word for word too, miss one word, and you might not get a single mark for it, harsh but its just the way it works in Economics.
    People say 'word for word' but i have 2 economics books with (albeit slightly) different definitions.

Can i use wither of these as long as theyre 'word for word' and make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

they don't have to be word for word! as long as the defs are clear, accurate and make sense then you're fine...sure examiners aren't correcting from your economics book!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭Seloth

DOnt just focuson oligoploy..Our teacher((Who goes around the country giving lectures to other teachers about it)) was saying some schools are putting way too much time in it,while he would be shocked if it didnt come up tpeople arent covering enough of other stuff then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,140 ✭✭✭ciano1

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    they don't have to be word for word! as long as the defs are clear, accurate and make sense then you're fine...sure examiners aren't correcting from your economics book!

Yup..The definitions are different in the Economics book, revision book and marking schemes

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭FridaysWell

stainluss wrote: »
    People say 'word for word' but i have 2 economics books with (albeit slightly) different definitions.

Can i use wither of these as long as theyre 'word for word' and make sense?

There are certain key words you must use in some definitions, thats why you might not get a single mark.

E.g P.E.D measures the proportionate change in quantity demanded caused by the proportionte change in the price of that good.

Proportiinate and good key words

• Registered Users Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

There are certain key words you must use in some definitions, thats why you might not get a single mark.

E.g P.E.D measures the proportionate change in quantity demanded caused by the proportionte change in the price of that good.

Yeah, sorry. This is what I had meant to say. Without these key words you won't full marks in a question. Sorry for not being so clear before.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭McGarnagle92

Is there any notes anywhere?

I'm struggling on the whole Banking/NAMA thing and also Elasticity and all that jazz.

Also do we get copies of the maths tables in the exam as there is economics formalue in there.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,469 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Is there any notes anywhere?

I'm struggling on the whole Banking/NAMA thing and also Elasticity and all that jazz.

Also do we get copies of the maths tables in the exam as there is economics formalue in there.

Thanks

Yes will get the tables in the exam

NAMA- It'd be wise to read up in general about it, newspaper articles etc on the net, all you need is an understanding of how it actually works itself and what it could do/will do and apply that to the question

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Interzone

that's a bad example because some marking schemes have it as "% change" rather than "proportionate change" but yeah I agree you have to have certain key words. Another example; Economic development: A rise in GNP/income per head, which is accompanied by a fundamental change in the structure of society.

Interzone wrote: »
    that's a bad example because some marking schemes have it as "% change" rather than "proportionate change" but yeah I agree you have to have certain key words. Another example; Economic development: A rise in GNP/income per head, which is accompanied by a fundamental change in the structure of society.

Proportinate, % its really the same thing to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭Stryderman

Stryderman wrote: »

Very good info...

I have notes that have everything on NAMA, basically on one sheet. PM me for copy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

P.E.D mesures the % responsiveness of demand due to a change in price...That should do:D

Advertisement