Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone Broadband Outage due to fibre break

• 12-05-2010 5:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭

I have had no internet all day. Ringing the vodaphone number there is a voice statement to this affect; naming 10 or 15 area codes including 01.

Whilst I was talking to accounts dept; they acknowledged this fact and forwarded me to tech. I hung up after 15 mins without getting through.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 578 ✭✭✭boopolo

Got through to customer care (fairly quickly) just now. The lady said she would check for me.

There is a major break in a fibre optic cable in my area was the reply. She said they had expected to have it fixed this morning (but obviousy they did not). 'Do you expect it to fixed this evening' i asked, in which the reply they did not know.

The affected areas are 13 area codes, from the intoduction call waiting service.

I really needed internet today; so I borrowed my brother 02 dongle for a day.... Thank you brother :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,530 ✭✭✭swoofer

I would say for vodafone read EIRCOM, there is something seriously wrong but its been kept very quiet which means its serious. I was looking on the eircom site for a while today and it was all bad, also people are losing voice facilities. Lets hope it gets sorted.

I am getting weird readings today and speeds as well and I am in clare.

gb--

Am not sure gb,
    But I expect that the problem is a lot more serious than customer services are be told to tell the end user.

Why there are not many others on here complaining also?
    Maybe because they have no broadband internet to do so as I suspect most users do not have a second internet connection (except smartphone) to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 buzzthewire

same here in North Wexford. Manny reconnects and 44% packet loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 376 ✭✭jmbkay

Mine is ok all day. Go to vodafone under "hosted", the guys there reply pretty fast. Sorry its under "biz"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭dogpile

boopolo wrote: »
    Am not sure gb,
    But I expect that the problem is a lot more serious than customer services are be told to tell the end user.

Why there are not many others on here complaining also?
    Maybe because they have no broadband internet to do so as I suspect most users do not have a second internet connection (except smartphone) to do so.

Misleading thread title...mine is fine all day

dogpile wrote: »
    Misleading thread title...mine is fine all day
    I'm Sorry you find it misleading.

But with 16 area codes affected this morning, and 13 still this evening, I would say the resulting outage is pretty much countrywide for some users.

@jmbkay. I cannot see why it would do ay good if in fact the fibre optic cable serving Leixlip exchange is severed as they say. They have an anouncement on their helpline all day. This would only be done if there was a huge amount of customers affected ....... But having said that; I do not know how that is effecting 13 - 16 area codes throughout Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

OpenDNS and most .de domains down today too. Not a good Internet day for many.

There must be more than Leixlip exchange on fibre if there are 13 areas affected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,864 ✭✭✭MunsterCycling

13 area codes is not all of Ireland either, where was the fibre severed?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

But with 16 area codes affected this morning, and 13 still this evening, I would say the resulting outage is pretty much countrywide for some users.

Thats about the stupidest thing i have read ALL day!!!

Its strange though. the 021 area in Cork had a major outage last week. Lasted well over 24hrs too. Not all areas in 021 were affected though. When i called up they had the same excuse. Fibre cable outage. Seemed very strange!

• Advertisement

13 area codes is not all of Ireland either, where was the fibre severed?
    Are we not a picky lot here tonight. ;)
    If one wants to be really picky; 'all over Ireland' is not the same as 'all of Ireland' ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

surfin away here in shannon on vodafone.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Thats about the stupidest thing i have read ALL day!!!
    I'm sorry you find my comment stupid. :(

If there are exchanges completely out in 13 area codes and there were 16 earlier today, that's a lot and is pretty much countrywide. In other words it is not confined to one or two exchanges

But I don't 'buy' the severed/broken fibre optic cable. I questioned this of the lady in customer care and she said it as 01 Kildare area. I went on to say how could a severed cable going to Leixlip exchange affect all the other areas on the list of their announcement. She said she does not know. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

I'm sorry you find my comment stupid. :(

Jaysus you made me feel bad now!

Yeah theres defo something fishy about it. Iv never heard of a fibre optic cable severing, fair enough if they were kept above ground and a storm caused it but they are below ground. And one being severed in Cork one week and dublin the next seems very strange.

Maybe they are upgrading the whole network secretly and then all of a sudden they suprise all their customers at christmas that they now have a 1gbps network.

Although i prob wont be with vodafone by Christmas :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

People dig them up. Happens all the time.

I know one Data centre that has an expensive high speed microwave link on roof, because sooner or later someone in a big yellow digger will dig at the wrong place.

Ha ha Hogzy.

I think Eircom had one severed in Longford earlier this week. It was on their website and they said it was malicious damage.

Maybe some wiseguy in Vodafone read that and said it is a good excuse to use.

Or maybe there is a 'serial optic cable cutter' out there that managed to cut cables all over the country in one morning:)

On a serious note. It's more likely the cause is they have a major problem with their main hubs and/or somebody has hacked into thei control software.

Could the dust from the Icelandic volcano be to blame.

I may not be with Vodafone come August either.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Edited the thread title as its clearly inaccurate

Advertisement