Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared Accommodation - What kind of Lease do we get?

Options
  • 12-05-2010 5:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭

Hi, just a query on a lease, sharing with a stranger do both get separate leases or is there just one?
    Also when applying for rent allowance a lease is needed what's expected of that?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,385 ✭✭✭✭Victor

A few scenarios.

Living with landlord. Status: Lodger. Few rights and not covered by Residential Tenancies Act. Basis of agreement: Licence (not a lease).

Renting a room in a shared property, without landlord. Status: Less than clear. Not covered by Residential Tenancies Act. Basis of agreement: unclear.

Living on own or with co-tenants. Status: Tenant. Covered by Residential Tenancies Act. Basis of agreement: Lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,787 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

For renting a room in a shared property, without landlord (by which I assume you mean without being on the lease) This is a licence too. In certain circumstances, you are entitled to go on the lease. This is sort-of covered by RTA.

In the case of living with co-tenants and you are all on the lease, the lease is generally 'joint and several'. This means that the lease is with all of you together. you are all jointly liable for the full amount of rent or damage. If there is a problem between the joint tenants, that is nothing to do with the landlord.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,688 ✭✭✭kerash

Whats the difference between a tenancy agreement and lease?

A friend is letting their home out for the first time so i'm trying to help with some info!
    I found this link for a lease - what do you guys think?
    http://www.topfloor.ie/lease.php

Advertisement