Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thin Lizzy - Olympia Dublin, February 17, 2011

Options
  • 12-05-2010 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭

http://www.hotpress.com/Thin%20Lizzy/news/Thin-Lizzy-announce-new-lineup--Dublin-gig/6532531.html

Thin Lizzy are to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Phil Lynott’s death with a January 4, 2011 show in the Dublin O2. With John Sykes having departed the ranks, lead vocal and guitar duties will fall to former New Model Army and The Almighty man Ricky Warwick who’s also been forging a highly successful solo career for himself. A native of Newtownards in County Down, he’s good friends with Lizzy guitarist Vivian Campbell who together with Scott Gorham, Brian Downey, Darren Wharton and Marco Mendoza completes this latest line-up.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭CiaranK

I would've loven it to be what they did with Gary Moore a few years ago when the Statue was put up. That would just be amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,385 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Will that sell out? Or will that even come close to selling out? Going to have to be one hell of a tribute night. And will the Vibe for Phillo show still be on?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

The hot press cover looks like an add for sunglasses. I will definitely go to this but I am wondering can they stay together that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

I'm guessing they are going to try to get all surviving members together for the gig - and maybe some of the bands that have been majorly influenced by Lizzy.......

has to be something major to believe that they can use the O2 for it......

like the look of the band lineup - will hit this.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

Im gonna guess Def Leppard and a reformed The Darkness will make appearances ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

ILL be there with bells on will be great to see viv campbell playin some proper guitar again,the leppard stuff was good but the dio stuff was immense! Id say there will be many suprises for this one but i can see a backlash from the lizzy faithful and the vibe organizers to be honest....at the end of the day it will be about keeping the music alive and that will do for me!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I presume this has nothing to do with the vibe?.......

If so there are fun times ahead!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 darlyn

Lads, anyone know when tickets are due to go on sale? Thks

CiaranK wrote: »
    http://www.hotpress.com/Thin%20Lizzy/news/Thin-Lizzy-announce-new-lineup--Dublin-gig/6532531.html

Thin Lizzy are to commemorate the 25th anniversary of Phil Lynott’s death with a January 4, 2011 show in the Dublin O2. With John Sykes having departed the ranks, lead vocal and guitar duties will fall to former New Model Army and The Almighty man Ricky Warwick who’s also been forging a highly successful solo career for himself. A native of Newtownards in County Down, he’s good friends with Lizzy guitarist Vivian Campbell who together with Scott Gorham, Brian Downey, Darren Wharton and Marco Mendoza completes this latest line-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭TopBombing

I'd like to make it to this, should be a good night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Lutka

Mod note: No ticket advertising permitted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Title thread changed... I'm going to assume that Thin Lizzy was split from the Vibe for Philo concert (which took place in Vicar Street, it looks like) and moved to The Olympia in February.

Title thread changed... I'm going to assume that Thin Lizzy was split from the Vibe for Philo concert (which took place in Vicar Street, it looks like) and moved to The Olympia in February.

this was never a part of the Vibe freak.......they had however initially announced it for the same night - which wasn't the brightest move.....on top of that would have been highly ambitious to have something like this in the O2 - even with good support/special guests......
    will probably still hit the Olympia show, the footage I've seen of the recent shows with Warwick aren't half bad, and it will be an entertaining show either way...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,861 ✭✭✭RayCon

NIBBS wrote: »
    will probably still hit the Olympia show, the footage I've seen of the recent shows with Warwick aren't half bad, and it will be an entertaining show either way...

I disagree ... the footage Ive looked at has been awful - looks passionless, badly rehearsed performances, going through the motions, missed lyrics and get the crowd to "sing-a-long" typical of a pub covers band. A complete cash in. Horrible Horrible Horrible. Thin Lizzy this is not - and I don't care if it contains Downey and Gorham - it's awful.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

I'm going to the olympia gig, I hope it's good.

Just lookings at vids on youtube with present line up from glasgow it seems ok.
    Warwicks phrasing seems to be quite different from Philo's he's not really imitating his vocal.
    Scott Goram is back using a les paul.

If there is a good crowd and the band play well it should be a good

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Shando316

Title needs changed - the Olympia gig is actually the 17th. The Belfast gig is the 16th.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 retioker

Hi, I was wondreing if there are still available tickets for the Dublin concert and if there are where I can find some. Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Wow, ticketmaster are showing this is sold out, no tickets for any section, that's surprised me :eek::eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Digitaljunkie

CiaranK wrote: »
    I would've loven it to be what they did with Gary Moore a few years ago when the Statue was put up. That would just be amazing.

Gary Moore died today on holiday in the Costa del Sol.........R.I.P Gary

scudzilla wrote: »
    Wow, ticketmaster are showing this is sold out, no tickets for any section, that's surprised me :eek::eek:

I have a cynical feeling about this, and yes its in relation to Gary's death:(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,934 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Mushy wrote: »

Surely MCD wouldn't stoop to such lows :rolleyes::rolleyes:

• Advertisement

scudzilla wrote: »
    Surely MCD wouldn't stoop to such lows :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I do feel bad for thinking it to be honest. Now maybe it has been sold out for a few days, but right now seems too appropriate. Will gladly, and hopefully, retract this if proven wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

This gig has been sold out for quite awhile i know cause ive been on the look out for a spare ticket for bout 3 weeks! Also terrible news bout gary another legend has departed to the great gig in the sky :(

Mushy wrote: »

like smelltheglove said on Ticketmaster at least they haven't had any tickets available for weeks - which again surprises me as MCD haven't been touting it as sold out ?
    I check back every few days expecting them to be back on sale but hasn't happened over the last couple of weeks anyway....maybe the shops still have some...

Will retract my cynicism then. Glad I had to though.

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

looking forward to this tonight!!! :D

I was just reading on the wiki page it is the last stop on the European tour, I was not aware of that... Russell were you aware of that? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭ned rierson

anyone know the stage times ?

• Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭beefjerky

Not sure on the stage times, but here is a link with the latest set list from Wolverhampton the other night

http://www.5gig.co.uk/gigs/Thin+Lizzy-Belfast

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

anyone know the stage times ?

From Belfast:

sweet savage 7.45-8.15
    supersuckers 8.30-9.00 (it was a superbly quick changeover after SS)
    lizzy 9.30 -

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭rednik

Brilliant night I will put up photos tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭yknaa

Great gig oke ... band were class. Great power. Highlight for me was 'Do anything you want to' and Angel of Death. Packed out and could have done 2 nights no problem.

Advertisement