Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best place to find info on buying house alarms

Options
  • 12-05-2010 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Hi

Currently have eircom phone watch installed but want to replace it with a stand alone house alarm. Suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭MRBEAVER

Maybe you could get a dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 78,436 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Moved from Accommodation & Property to Electrical.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

hello932 wrote: »
    Hi

Currently have eircom phone watch installed but want to replace it with a stand alone house alarm. Suggestions?

Here is a good place to look ;)

Along with that if your looking for a licenced installer search the PSA register of licenced installers.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,715 ✭✭✭✭altor

hello932 wrote: »
    Hi

The alarm will work as a standalone alarm if you dont want it monitored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Tim M-U

you can do what altor said and change ur insurance policy alarm status to standalone en50131nsai no monitoring if you had it installed originally by eircompw to en50131,nsai, psa.. just ring pw and cancel ur monitoring, now just use it as a standalone. do u need a bellbox outside? pw sometimes tend to only put a dummy. this bellbox should cost less than €150 installed, prob cheaper.
    any questions just ask!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

If your insurance policy states your alarm system is to EN50131 remember you must get the system serviced every year to maintain that standard.

koolkid wrote: »
    If your insurance policy states your alarm system is to EN50131 remember you must get the system serviced every year to maintain that standard.

I suppose it was installed to the en50131 standard.. but you have to get it serviced by a lisenced company 2 a year as koolkid said.
    You can of course use a different company like altor(dublin) or adt(ie), Pioneer (westmunster) or another local company. you can find a list at http://www.tradesman.ie or http://www.goldenpages.ie
    Got any questions just ask!

Tim M-U wrote: »
    You can of course use a different company like altor(dublin) or adt(ie), Pioneer (westmunster) or another local company. you can find a list at http://www.tradesman.ie or http://www.goldenpages.ie
    Got any questions just ask!
    Better to use PSA register to look for a company. The golden pages or online directory's are not too bothered whether a company is licenced or not.

you can do what altor said and change ur insurance policy alarm status to standalone en50131nsai no monitoring if you had it installed originally by eircompw to en50131,nsai, psa.. just ring pw and cancel ur monitoring, now just use it as a standalone. do u need a bellbox outside? pw sometimes tend to only put a dummy. this bellbox should cost less than €150 installed, prob cheaper.
    any questions just ask!

The cost of the bell would be more if it is not a wired system you have installed as a cable has to be ran from the panel to the bell.
    They install a dummy bell on wired and wire free jobs as most people are not going to pay the €260 they charge for the bell.
    The one thing i dont like about this is if people go away from the monitoring then the alarm only rings inside the house.

altor wrote: »
    The cost of the bell would be more if it is not a wired system you have installed as a cable has to be ran from the panel to the bell.
    They install a dummy bell on wired and wire free jobs as most people are not going to pay the €260 they charge for the bell.
    The one thing i dont like about this is if people go away from the monitoring then the alarm only rings inside the house.

Your proberly right, i was suggesting the bell would be wired in the wirel system.. is that what pw charge for the bell? sounds expensive, i dont like to see a unmonitored system with only an internal sounder too.. therefore i would highly recommend a outdoor bell, you can get it installed by a lisensed company if u wudnt want to pay €230 for a bell, when pw get it for €60 maybe less!.

Hi koolkid, yea, going to d psa website is prob the best option..

Got any questions, just ask!

• Advertisement

is that what pw charge for the bell?

€260, thats how much they will charge even if the cable is already there :eek:
    i dont like to see a unmonitored system with only an internal sounder too.. therefore i would highly recommend a outdoor bell, you can get it installed by a lisensed company if u wudnt want to pay €230 for a bell, when pw get it for €60 maybe less!.

Totally agree Tim, its ok if its monitored but if its not then an live external bell is a must on any alarm. Most alarm company's will be able to connect up a live bell to there alarm systems.

altor wrote: »
    €260, thats how much they will charge even if the cable is already there eek.gif.
    That's even worse..

You should proberly get a local company to add a live bell to your system then, I would expect around €150 ish, varys from company to company. Check the PSA register for a list of licensed companys which are recongised by the NSAI and PSA, which is required by law.. never allow an unregistered electrican to install your alarm/components.

The psa register current (15/05/2010) is available in pdf view in your browser here: http://www.psa.gov.ie/Website/psa/psa.nsf/8323CBA191C013C880257143002C9E9D/$File/Installer%20%28Intruder%20Alarm%29%20Licence%20Holders%20%2812-05-2010%29.pdf

If you got any questions, just ask!

Check the PSA register for a list of licensed companys which are recongised by the NSAI and PSA, which is required by law

Just to clarify . The legal requirement is to use a PSA licenced company. There is no legal requirement or obligation to use an NSAI licenced company.

Just to clarify . The legal requirement is to use a PSA licenced company. There is no legal requirement or obligation to use an NSAI licenced company.
    I think that's correct. However if you want your insurance company to discount your premium, you may need to have a NSAI licenced company installing it.

I think that's correct. However if you want your insurance company to discount your premium, you may need to have a NSAI licenced company installing it.

No ! The requirement is for the alarm to be up to the standard EN50131.
    Still no requirement that it must be certified by NSAI.

No ! The requirement is for the alarm to be up to the standard EN50131.
    Still no requirement that it must be certified by NSAI.
    Your right!:D

Advertisement