Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skate 3

Options
  • 12-05-2010 6:25pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭

So anyone else looking forward to this - the demo was pretty meh but the thing is I know I'll love the game because they didn't **** with the main quality which is that it's simply enjoyable to skate a around and just try shiz,

So definate day 1 purchase for me - anyone else?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,192 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

I enjoyed the first two but I'm a little concerned that this one is more online focused. I've not read too much into it, but something about creating an online team doesn't interest me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

didnt mind the first one, hated the second one, third one is kinda midway between the first 2 for me. its ok, but its a bit too technical (theres an easy mode, but thats not enough of a challenge)

sits in the "its alright if youre into that kinda thing" pile

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

As luck would have it I'm in to that sort of thing.

mayordenis wrote: »
    As luck would have it I'm in to that sort of thing.

sorted so

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Helix wrote: »
    didnt mind the first one, hated the second one, third one is kinda midway between the first 2 for me. its ok, but its a bit too technical (theres an easy mode, but thats not enough of a challenge)

sits in the "its alright if youre into that kinda thing" pile
    Ok, I thought it was just me but I loved the first one too and I was kinda meh about the second one even though it appeared to be lots more of the same.

I've played the demo of 3 (and got to play in London yesterday, did I mention that I was in London playing games all day yesterday? No? :) )

I will pick up a copy a few months after it comes out and falls a bit in price but the fact that I went off the boil with 2 worried me slightly...

why didnt you like 2 helix? Cos I never figured that one out, I just drifted away from it....

DeV.

• Advertisement

i thought it was more a lesson in memorising a billion button combinations than playing a game

didnt have the same level of fun the first one had, which could have been because it was a new, different alternative to the tony hawk series

like you i couldnt really put my finger on it, i just didnt enjoy playing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

I hated the 1st one , maybe I didnt give it enough of a chance but I loved the 2nd one. I'm on the fence about the 3rd now, was going to go out and get it tomorrow but after playing the demo again there :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭flanno_7hi

Got the day off tomorrow to pick this up and play all day :)

I'm so glad of the hardcore mode. Skate 2 is my favourite xbox game. i just love skating around and making vids. I am 2 achievments off finishing it but i cant bring myslf to play it online anymore.
    People doing stupid glitches and the manual, trick, manual, trick manual, trick, manual ****e in best trick and spot challenge ruined for me. Im not a skater but the reason i like skate is becaus of the realism of it.
    if i wanted to do a 23 trick combo bull**** move i'd play tony hawk

flanno_7hi wrote: »
    Im not a skater but the reason i like skate is becaus of the realism of it

i think thats why i didnt like it so much after the original tbh

flanno_7hi wrote: »
    if i wanted to do a 23 trick combo bull**** move i'd play tony hawk

I miss the days of grinding power lines in the ps1+2 but the th series is a car crash these days :(, which tempts me even more to get this tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Manuals. Ah yes. I forgot that sh*t.

How to make your game crap. Create a trick-linking mechanic which is entirely based on the use of the worst part of the controller. A tiny region between a little forward and a little more forward.

Then put that particular turd nugget at the end of a mind bendingly accurate and fast movement of the same joystick. Insanity.

Also the silly games of "Hey I want you to do a 360 pop shovit with a fakey landing and a stalefish grab!" "No sorry, you did a 360 pop shovit with a fakey landing and a late stakefish grab... you lose".

On the plus side, I adored the video editing and loved making and watching other peoples videos. I'm hoping they do something with the editor and beef it up.

DeV.

I think it probably helps being big into skating as compared to the Tony Hawk series it was just such a huge breath of fresh air - would love to have grabbed a copy for after work tonight but I guess I can manage the wait until the morning.
    Reviewing pretty nicely too - which doesn't really matter a toss I guess, but nice to see all the same.

What I want to hear is: Why should I buy this if i have 2.

I couldnt see a compelling answer to that.

DeV.

It's definately more of the same - classy intro again which is humourful - would I be able to give a compelling answer if you weren't totally into number 2? Nope.
    Still think I'm gonna plunge many hours into this.

Its sitting on our desk here.... I still enjoyed 2, particularly the editing of videos...

We also have Fifa South Africa to review too. yay! (he said sarcastically). Not a big fan of football games :)

DeV.

Jaysus I can't imagine reviewing a football game is a great decision if your not in to them - but it's actually pretty good and seems to be keeping a low price point as they must have accepted the quadrennial release of World Cup tie-ins is pretty low on the auld value scale. Give it a bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,936 ✭✭✭rizzla

I don't know what it is but I just don't like this as much as the other 2. Playing it on hardcore and it still feels too easy, maybe it will pick up it's still early days.

rizzla wrote: »
    I don't know what it is but I just don't like this as much as the other 2. Playing it on hardcore and it still feels too easy, maybe it will pick up it's still early days.

Yeah I'm the same, one question though I played through the 1st tutorial and then went out in the bog bad world and seems I've lost the ability to manual :confused:

I know how to do it but it just isn't working? Would turning on hall of meat in the options have effected this? I did toggle the option but still the same :(

Edit: I'll try changing the difficulty and see if that effects it.

If you find out how to disable that god awful mechanic of "manuals" between tricks can you let me know :)

DeV.

The game is alot shorter than the previous ones. Finished the main story, 7 hours in and have gotten 75% completion based on the ingame stat section. Haven't touched online yet though, hopefully it'll be better or as good as Skate 2.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

DeVore wrote: »
    If you find out how to disable that god awful mechanic of "manuals" between tricks can you let me know :)

DeV.

You dont really need to Manual Between tricks as long as you do another trick not too long after and your line stays intact.

Love me some Skate I do...

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Bugg

Just got this a while ago and think its great so far. Loved the first two games, had grown tired ofthe tony hawk series after playing it for years.

I'm sick of the A.I team mates, so for folks playing on xbox feel free to add me for career games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭Liathroidi Dana

Tell me about it, keep on failing comp because of my bloody teammate!

I'll add you when I'm next on.

Anyone have any issues with freezing? Game must have locked up on me 5 or 6 times in the last 2 days, usually in transitions to online or on other loading screens.

Also as is typical of EA uploading videos etc. only works 1/10 times for me :mad:

Some of the loading screens can take ages but it hasn't frozen so bad that I needed to do a hard reset.

I have to say though this is the worst skate in the franchise. Main career is short and the story boring. Online is not as good as 2, if your skate team isn't online there's no point in playing online solo.

rizzla wrote: »
    Some of the loading screens can take ages but it hasn't frozen so bad that I needed to do a hard reset.

I have to say though this is the worst skate in the franchise. Main career is short and the story boring. Online is not as good as 2, if your skate team isn't online there's no point in playing online solo.

Have to agree, all those pointless photo "challenges" I got fed up with them and stopped bothering to set up good shots, then the do any 3 tricks ones etc etc

Spot on with the multiplayer , Skate2 was much better.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,128 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Has frozen for me several times while online due to players joining or dropping out. Also have serious problems connecting to the EA service thing.
    Damn glad i only rented this and saved my money for red dead

VinLieger wrote: »
    Has frozen for me several times while online due to players joining or dropping out. Also have serious problems connecting to the EA service thing.
    Damn glad i only rented this and saved my money for red dead

I was actually shocked that I had no issues connecting to EA nation at least every time despite otehr issues, skate 2 disconnected me every 10 minutes and Battlefield Bad company 2 was totally unplayable for me due to its refusal to connect or disconnecting after 5 minutes online :mad:

• Advertisement

Some cheat codes posted on the skate Twitter.

mcfly (makes your skateboard a hoverboard, although the sound of the wheels are still there and it gets stuck on grass)
    zombies (turns the people into zombies)
    deadspacetoo (let's you play as Isaac from Dead Space)
    miniskaters (makes you small)

Enter them in the Extras part of the pause menu.

Advertisement