Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

tips on 'rattling strings'

Options
  • 12-05-2010 7:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭

im learning the mandolin about 9 months now and i just cant seem to get the hang of rattling the strings. im taking lessons an all and i just cant seem to get it.

any how if anyone has any tips or hints on how to get please share them with me.

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

im learning the mandolin about 9 months now and i just cant seem to get the hang of rattling the strings. im taking lessons an all and i just cant seem to get it.

any how if anyone has any tips or hints on how to get please share them with me.

thanks

i play mandolin but havent taken lessons so excuse my ignorance. is rattling the strings plucking the same note in quick succession?

if it is the only thing that might help is getting a thinner plectrum and try resting your hand behind the bride to steady it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

i play mandolin but havent taken lessons so excuse my ignorance. is rattling the strings plucking the same note in quick succession?

if it is the only thing that might help is getting a thinner plectrum and try resting your hand behind the bride to steady it

yes thats what i mean by rattling the strings sorry i dont know the correct term for it.

i do rest my hand between the bridge and use a .73mm plectrum but i might try the next size down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 699 ✭✭✭aoife2k

I presume you're talking about a triplet? i.e same note 3 times quickly... When i saw 'rattling the strings' I though you might actually have string/fret problems!

I'm a fiddle player so i don't use a plec but I'd recommend trying to get a vid on the net for gettin the right technique.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

yes thats what i mean by rattling the strings sorry i dont know the correct term for it.

i do rest my hand between the bridge and use a .73mm plectrum but i might try the next size down.

try a .46. i cant on a .60 but can on a .46

i just did it now and realised i angle the plec slightly so as to give less resistance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

try a .46. i cant on a .60 but can on a .46

i just did it now and realised i angle the plec slightly so as to give less resistance

thanks for that il pick one of each up over the weekend and give them a go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

i find the thinner the plec the more you sacrifice sound and volume, but with nicer triplets, i find a nice balance of sound and triplets at .6,, im no expert, just what ive experienced.

my advice would be to buy loads of plecs at different thicknesses and try them all.. they cost feck all sure! each to their own and all that.

Advertisement