Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Where do you get your game reviews and news?

• 12-05-2010 7:22pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭

Thought this might be an interesting discussion.

As Joker once said:-

"hubba hubba hubba, money money money, WHO DO YOU TRUST WHEN IT COMES TO YOUR GAMES?!"

IGN? Machinima? OXM?

Myself, I just good ol' Yahtzee. Always good for both the chuckles and a decent review.

And yourselves?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Not The Real Scarecrow

Normally go to gamespot, find them fairly reliable. Sometimes they can be overly harsh with the mark I find.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭dunworth1

normally from friends

sometimes from boards

odd time google helps me out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Shammy

Meatwad wrote: »
    Normally go to gamespot, find them fairly reliable. Sometimes they can be overly harsh with the mark I find.

+1 on gamespot , they are usually spot on , as for ign they are imo the worst reviewers.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭markfla

I always check www.metacritic.com it averages reviews from all the major sites and gives a good genuine indication if a game in genuinely good or not, sometimes you see certain sites hyping up rubbish games (getting their pockets lined from publishers no doubt).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭Moiph

Gamespot is good. Eurogamer seem to give harsh reviews just for the sake of being different to the other sites imo.

Metacritic is it for me though, I find it best to get an overall average rating of a game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Game trailers, I love their video reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

LIGHTNING wrote:
    I have recently switch to kotaku for gaming news, I went off gamespot after the Kane&Lynch Fiasco. Eurogamer have good articles and are ok for reviews.

Could you explain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

Slugs wrote: »
    Could you explain?

I can't remember the exact facts, but something alone the lines of bribary and as a result a reviewer was fired and others left over the action. The gamespot site has never been the same since that happened.

I've been very wary of them every since they gave Perfect Dark Zero a 9/10. One of the worst fps games I have ever played. Thankfully I had PGR3 at the time to keep me sane on the 360.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Gamespot, Eurogamer...if I am a bit suspect about a game I check out the metascore. If it sounds too good to be true then I might hold off buying it and lurk around here for a bit waiting to see what people make of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭TheMooseInNam

JOYSTIQ XBOX is the only reliable site I've found. They aren't paid off or bribed by Devs. Have an excellent weekly podcast too. They don't rate games 1-10 but actually write unbiased articles about their impressions of the game and allow the reader to make their judgement from that. I always found the idea of grading 1-10 ridiculous anyway. The link's below

http://xbox.joystiq.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Darksaga87

I usually read the player reviews on "gamespot" And ill watch the video reviews just to take a look at the gameplay, other than that, gamespot arent as good as the used to be before their 2 beest reviews were sacked/walked out over the Kane and lynch review, which i think was a great review of a very average given an average score. But sure what can we do, look back at the older reviews when they were there. Brillance.

Ign are gack for reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭brian plank

i just look at gameplay videos on youtube because if a game looks sh*t it generally is. "review" sites are too predictable and spineless to trust.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Gametrailers.com are what I use for reviews. Always prefer a video review over an article and these guys make great video reviews IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

Yeah, metacritic for me. Nice to have an average score of all the ratings out there. If you look through the top ten, it's pretty accurate for each consol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Fingleberries

I'd usually go to the following sites.
    - Kotaku.com
    - Metacritic.com
    - Joystiq.com XBox section

Kotaku is all-round and doesn't really provide x/10 scores, but will have decent news and the like. Joystiq is very similar.

Metacritic is good to get a taste of what a selection of review sites give a game. You can then base them off what your favourite magazine says about it and you'll generally find the level there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

I'm convinced IGN use a random number generator when giving their scores:

113793.png

This is for a game that was basically broken out of the box. Apparently there were some unofficial community made patches that fixed a lot of issued, I never hung around long enough to find out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

from me

which is a nice position to be in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭thewheel2.0

Giantbomb.com Is one of my favourite places they do a quick look which is like a 25 minute video review buy gives you a good idea of how they feel about the game. Its also run by veterans who used to work at gamespot.

They also have a great podcast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭TheGreatOne

JOYSTIQ XBOX is the only reliable site I've found. They aren't paid off or bribed by Devs. Have an excellent weekly podcast too. They don't rate games 1-10 but actually write unbiased articles about their impressions of the game and allow the reader to make their judgement from that. I always found the idea of grading 1-10 ridiculous anyway. The link's below

http://xbox.joystiq.com/

+1, no point in me writing the exact same response. Gamesradar is a fun site too, not your typical gamespot/ign bull.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Joystiq and Giantbomb for me. Every other website pales in comparison in my opinion.

I do watch some stuff on Gametrailers from time to time.

Jeff Gerstmann was the reviewer who was fired from Gamespot allegedly after pressure from Eidos after he gave Kane & Lynch a 7/10. He set up Giant Bomb with Ryan Davis and added Vinny Carvella and Brad Shoemaker, all three of which left Gamespot after Jeff was fired. Giant Bomb is a great site.

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

No one has mentioned www.penny-arcade.com ?

i will buy just about any game Tycho loves without reading the description almost. I simply seem to be in step with the guys ideas about what makes a good game.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Fuzzballs

I like Eurogamer. I dont feel they have harsh reviews.
    My favourite is nowgamer.com. This is the sister site for GamesTM magazine.
    Which in my opinion is the best games magazine out there along with Edge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭Fol20

I can't remember the exact facts, but something alone the lines of bribary and as a result a reviewer was fired and others left over the action. The gamespot site has never been the same since that happened.

I've been very wary of them every since they gave Perfect Dark Zero a 9/10. One of the worst fps games I have ever played. Thankfully I had PGR3 at the time to keep me sane on the 360.

Kane and lynch were advertising on gamespot.
    The fella that reviewed k&l gave it an awful review.
    the publisher of that game threatened to stop advertising or something along that line if the review wasnt taken down.
    Gamespot took down the review,and a few days later the person that reviewed the game was let go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭RAIN

I change around a lot. I use a load of places for news N4G and Twitter(great for news if you write for a site - because its instant), Gametrailers and Eurogamer are the most reliable for review scores I find. Edge and IGN's reviews are all over the place.

I listen to the IGN and 1Up podcasts every week too, pretty good although 1ups are gone a bit flat since David Elise left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I only really use Gamespot for upcoming games. Don't really go by reviews. I'll read a review after I've finished a game.

Everyone's got different tastes in everything so what could be amazing for me may not be for others.

If I read a review before playing a game, especially if the review is slating the game, then automatically I'll get into the mindset the reviewer had when playing the game which isn't cool as I'm basically ripping off their views.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Fol20 wrote: »
    Kane and lynch were advertising on gamespot.
    The fella that reviewed k&l gave it an awful review.
    the publisher of that game threatened to stop advertising or something along that line if the review wasnt taken down.
    Gamespot took down the review,and a few days later the person that reviewed the game was let go.

He was quickly followed by the other decent reviewers that Gamespot had. From wiki....

Jeff Gerstmann, Editorial Director of the site, was fired on November 28, 2007.[51] Immediately after his termination, rumors circulated proclaiming his dismissal was a result of external pressure from Eidos Interactive, the publisher of Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, which had purchased a considerable amount of advertising space on GameSpot's web site. Gerstmann had previously given Kane & Lynch a fair or undesirable rating along with critique.[51] Both GameSpot and parent company CNET stated that his dismissal was unrelated to the review, but due to corporate and legal constraints cannot reveal the reason.[51][52] A month after Gerstmann's termination, freelance reviewer Frank Provo left GameSpot after eight years stating that "I believe CNET management let Jeff go for all the wrong reasons. I believe CNET intends to soften the site's tone and push for higher scores to make advertisers happy."[53]

GameSpot staffers Alex Navarro, Jason Ocampo, Ryan Davis, Brad Shoemaker, and Vinny Caravella also left as a result of Gerstmann's termination.[54][55] Davis co-founded Gerstmann's subsequent project, Giant Bomb, and was later joined by Shoemaker and Caravella. Navarro became the community manager at Harmonix and Ocampo joined the IGN PC Team as Editor-in-Chief, though neither still hold those positions, and in 2010 Navarro joined up with Whiskey Media, a family of sites that includes Gertsmann's Giant Bomb site, to be part of their new site Screend.com, focusing on cinema.

Haven't been back to that site since.

Don't really trust any gaming sites for reviews, prefer to check out feedback from boards and the likes of grcade.com forum.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,786 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd never trust Yahtzee. He's gone to town on some excellent games so don't let him put you off. He's given bad reviews to Valkyria Chronicles and Super Mario Galaxy tow of the best games in a long time.

I always check 1up although they can be late with reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Kotaku in Online form...

Edge magazine in paper form....

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Yahtzee is a funny one... he reviews games but if he says anything even vaguely positive about the game then you can take it as being ok. To be honest, a lot of games are just as bad as he says but we have lost the ability to say "this is a turd" because all we get are turds. He's the one pointing out the turdhood.

I dont take his articles too seriously because he's obviously ripping on the games for humour but I do get a sense of what to expect from him...

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Eurogamer :)

Advertisement