Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Where do you get your game reviews and news?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

DeVore wrote: »
    Yahtzee is a funny one... he reviews games but if he says anything even vaguely positive about the game then you can take it as being ok. To be honest, a lot of games are just as bad as he says but we have lost the ability to say "this is a turd" because all we get are turds. He's the one pointing out the turdhood.

I dont take his articles too seriously because he's obviously ripping on the games for humour but I do get a sense of what to expect from him...

DeV.

I've totally gone off Yahtzee, I don't know why. Loved him when he first started and just lately, or the last few months I've barely chuckled at any of his reviews. Maybe I've grown tired of his schtick. I think he's slightly fallen in love with himself and his wordplay feels a bit forced to me these days. Still worth a watch though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Slugs

I do agree with the comment that he's fallen in love with himself, but that doesn't take away from the quality of his videos afaIcs. I think he still manages to give a fair review of titles, and he's still The Escapist's biggest draw to the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 884 ✭✭✭_Godot_

I read Edge and GamesTM. And I rarely buy games the day of release anyway, a day of release purchase is reserved for something I've been really looking forward to (like when Dragon Quest 9 comes out) or something made by Atlus, which can get to be hard to find after a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

I use gamespot all the time. I find them very " non liberal " ( for the lack of a better word) when it comes to reviews. I also rely on ign for game news.
    Personally, i think gamespot is best for game reviews (nowadays they are late on delivering reviews though) and IGN for game news.

That being said, IGN is usually the first website to post reviews.

I also like gametrailers for their lengthy HD video reviews.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,500 ✭✭✭Drexel

I usually use gamespot but i didnt know about the guy gettin fired so i might be lookin else where. Eurogamer had a review of Rise of the Godslayer taken down because it turned out the reviewer had never played Age of Conan before and only played the game for an hour or so!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭James Howlett

Games TM

Online I occassionally check out Gamesradar & The Escapist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,911 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Metacritic and i browse over most of the other big ones could read 5 or 6 reviews for a game im interested in.

But the most reliable one is myself on Bone-idle i know what i like so i rarely give myself bad advice :D

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yahtzee is well quite useless really, uninteresting I'm happy for reviewers a spade a spade but he just spams people with his rhetoric.
    His absolutely woeful "Game Damage" topping off my low opinion of his work.

To be honest the whole Game Journalist fanboy sub culture is quite strange - I remember so many people like going mental over "Gerstmangate" and like pledging allegiance to Giant Bomb - I just don't get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭Undead

Kotaku 1st and foremost, have their RSS feed straight to my phone, find them informative, funny and fairly on the ball with breaking news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,409 ✭✭✭Butch Cassidy

I can't remember the exact facts, but something alone the lines of bribary and as a result a reviewer was fired and others left over the action. The gamespot site has never been the same since that happened.

I've been very wary of them every since they gave Perfect Dark Zero a 9/10. One of the worst fps games I have ever played. Thankfully I had PGR3 at the time to keep me sane on the 360.

Perfect Dark Zero was one of those big release games that got big positive reviews in a lot of places at first even by the gamers and then shortly after the hype died down everyone went "ah, that's sh*t". Bit like MGS 2 and loads of other games.

I still go to Gamespot for their archived reviews and videos. It's a nice easy site to navigate with a lot of reviews dating back to 1996. Though I wouldn't have a perference for a particular reviewer and I'm not a fanboyz, them GS reviewers that left after the Eidos "scandal" were very good.

It is hard though on who to believe especially with the bigger sites. I have a browse on wikipedia sometimes to have a look at the "reception" portion of an article. There's usually a table of review scores from different sites and a little blurb backed up by quotes and links. It's grand for quick access kinda stuff.

I like Gametrailer's video reviews

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,286 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im a gamespot refugee that fled to giantbomb when their writing took a nose dive after the mass exit. Regular visits to kotaku during the day for news and use gametrailers for all video needs but giantbomb is first stop for reviews previews quick looks etc and the guys have some cool **** there such as the quests and the endurance runs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Kotaku. They don't give long winded articles or scores out of 10. They just tell what they loved and hated about the game, kinda the stuff you want know.

Advertisement