Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

shhhh! handloading?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

AFAIK there will be both as per my convo today with you know who :D
    That was my understanding from my conversation anyway.

Where did I say there wasn't going to be black powder shooting :rolleyes:

For someone as educated as you claim to be your inability to comprehend simple English is astounding :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

Where did I say there wasn't going to be black powder shooting :rolleyes:

For someone as educated as you claim to be your inability to comprehend simple English is astounding :p

An dtuigeann túsa?Níl a fhios agam. :D
    Cheap me go bhfuíl tusa duinne glíc; Tá na ballaí ag éisteacht!

ceart go leor mo Chara??

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

It will be a great podium to show Dermo and the boys that reloading is not evil. Hopefully things will be much better in 2011!

[/QUOTE]
    Sure ! He might even take up pistol shooting too! If he would deem to set foot in Midlands.And I'm going to win the national,Euro millons and the Californian powerball lotto[Makes Euromillions ,and national lottery look like spare change.:eek:] all in one Sat night too!:rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    Sure ! He might even take up pistol shooting too! If he would deem to set foot in Midlands.And I'm going to win the national,Euro millons and the Californian powerball lotto[Makes Euromillions ,and national lottery look like spare change.:eek:] all in one Sat night too!:rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Water can wear down mountains over time.
    If he see's a load of Americans with bulging wallets he might change his tune.

Keep the faith Brother....
    :cool:

Or he'll start braying about "American style gun culture":rolleyes::rolleyes: To the media who now doubt WOULD be there to record and pervert the event.

{Think RISE here.15 secs to RISE and 2thousand people.1 minute to 8 scruffy antis who claim to have the majority of support in Ireland .:rolleyes: RTE objective reporting how are ye???}

Lets face it;finding Dermo down at Midlands is about as likely as Hitler visiting a Synagouge! Got to know when you are wasting your time and effort.;)

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Or he'll start braying about "American style gun culture":rolleyes::rolleyes: To the media who now doubt WOULD be there to record and pervert the event.

{Think RISE here.15 secs to RISE and 2thousand people.1 minute to 8 scruffy antis who claim to have the majority of support in Ireland .:rolleyes: RTE objective reporting how are ye???}

Lets face it;finding Dermo down at Midlands is about as likely as Hitler visiting a Synagouge! Got to know when you are wasting your time and effort.;)

I bet you €50 I'll get him there in 2010 ;)

An dtuigeann túsa?Níl a fhios agam. :D
    Cheap me go bhfuíl tusa duinne glíc; Tá na ballaí ag éisteacht!

ceart go leor mo Chara??

Póg mo thóin! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Don't suppose anyone might think that Dermot's boss is a more likely candidate to show up as the VIP official, since it'll be only a short drive from his home town?

Póg mo thóin! :p

I love you too Bunny, You and your Asál

Is fearr Gaeilge briste,
    ná Bearla clíste.:D

back to reloading thread please.
    Collect your brass and if all things go well the MAN will let us use it in 2011.
    So hoult yer whist ;)

Sparks wrote: »
    Don't suppose anyone might think that Dermot's boss is a more likely candidate to show up as the VIP official, since it'll be only a short drive from his home town?

Wouldn't be his first time doing it :cool:

• Advertisement

Wouldn't be his first time doing it :cool:

+1

He is very proud of the Boys in MNSCI

dCorbus wrote: »
    Ah, yes, but you see, Northern Ireland is a different jurisdiction, in case no one has noticed.:D:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

And re-loading is allowed there, same as across the other bits of the UK (the real bits on the other side of the sea:rolleyes:;)).

But bear in mind that whilst you can re-load / handload in the UK, you can't shoot any type of pistol or handgun, rimfire or centrefire, .22 or otherwise, (except in NI oddly enough).

So, which privileges / rights would we like to swap?;)

(Please note: :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::D)

I am posting this as a favor to a contributor from another froum I frequent http://vcrai.com/

This reply was posted on that forum from a contributor in the UK. Apparently he has tried to sign up here but his requests have been ignored?

Well, now, for Mr Corbus' information, we DO have handguns on mainland UK, as well as on the Isle of Man [a Crown Dependency, and .22 rimfire only] as well as The Channel Islands [anything at all].

As most of you know, I live over here for much of the year, and I have a Ruger Old Army .44" BP revolver and a second-issue Colt Walker, also in .44". I also have a .357 Magnum Ruger Super Redhawk with a 14" barrel and 2-7 Burris scope. True, it has a sticky-out thing on the butt that makes it a bit unwieldly to stick in your pocket - at 24.1" overall that was never going to be easy, but I'd bet that anyone on THIS forum would recognise it has a [rather large] handgun.

As anyone who has seen Gunmart magazine will know, ANY kind of BP handgun [excepting cartridge-firing] are to be found on most any range here, and the Browning Buckmark pistol/carbine looks remarkably like a long-barrelled Browning Buckmark pistol. We can also shoot the exotic, but fully permitted, single-shot Free pistol as seen in international .22 competition, although they are rare.

We are also allowed to own centre-fire handguns under the provisions of another form of licence called a Section 5 something or other. Having commanded tri-national troops in a combat zone, I'm not about to lower myself to the position of being allowed to shoot my own gun under the supervision of a spotty-faced gossoon, so that way will not be mine, I'm afraid.

So Mr Corbus is wrong, and I'd like to think that some kind soul here will put him right, even if it means him making some sort of contact with me, eventually.

TIA

tac

DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER :P

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Apparently he has tried to sign up here but his requests have been ignored?
    Nothing to do with the mods here...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭Bananaman

Water can wear down mountains over time.
    If he see's a load of Americans with bulging wallets he might change his tune.

I'm afraid that approach has been tried and failed.

It was pointed out to the Minister/DOJ/Justice Committee/Dail & Seanad the millions in local revenue that would be achieved had we been allowed to continue to compete in IPSC Handgun and eventually brought the European Championships (~500 competitors + companions) or perhaps even the World Championships (~1000 competitors + companions), here. On a par with or even exceeding the Ryder Cup at least. This year Serbia host the European Championships and next year Greece host the World Championships - no reason Ireland could not have.

We were already well progressed in developing the facilities - at zero expense to the taxpayer - but we were told that the Government is not in the business of developing the sports and potential boosts for tourism or the economy are not a factor in any decision making process.

I hope that the tune has changed (they did have it in for IPSC and were not listening to anything anyone told them) and for F-Class that they do indeed take into account the prestige of the event (Creedmoor Cup) and the potential tourist dollar it brings.

Definitely focus on getting his boss to attend as Dermo is wearing a t-shirt that says 'the lady is not for turning'

And for gods sake stop listening to 'I head from a fella' or 'the man himself told me' and other such rubbish.

B'Man

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

What's the penalty or jail time for a lad caught handloading at the moment? There's quite a few lads at it and have never been caught. The way the price of ammo is goin tis gonna be as popular as green diesel soon...:rolleyes: Not insinuating that I even considered ever doing it;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

There wouldnt be any jail time for loading your own. As soon as you start loading your own your the criminal and the law revolves around the criminal in this country. Jail time, ya must be joking.

kay 9 wrote: »
    What's the penalty or jail time for a lad caught handloading at the moment? There's quite a few lads at it and have never been caught. The way the price of ammo is goin tis gonna be as popular as green diesel soon...:rolleyes: Not insinuating that I even considered ever doing it;)

It would depend what you were charged with, offences against the state act 1980, terrorism, public endangerment etc the list goes on

So I would would not even dream of it.
    The more you have, the more you have to lose.
    Anybody who flouts the law must be prepared to take the consequences.

I drive a diesel and would never consider green, maybe Biofuel as it is legit, but anything else is foolish.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Thanks bunnyshooter for posting that yesterday.
    DON'T SHOOT THE MESSENGER

Why not!? :D

Third party posting's on another web forum not related to this site, quoting my post from over a fortnight ago.....Come on, bunny....!

Anyhow, I've debated how and whether to respond to your post yesterday - and seeing as you've gone to the trouble to post it, the least I can do, in all fairness, is to respond and hopefully address some of the issues raised.

Firstly, I'm delighted to hear that my meanderings have such a wide and international readership (:rolleyes:), but am rather surprised that anyone would be so exercised by postings to bring up, on another forum entirely, some very brief comments made by me nearly two-and-a-half weeks ago! The phrase "GAFL" springs to mind TBH.:D

Obviously, the mysterious reader / poster you mention failed to notice the icons/smilies (quite a number of which were used by me in the post referred to) - For the purposes of clarity and by way of explanation, this:
    (Please note: rolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifrolleyes.gifbiggrin.gif)

Means what? Yes, 5 Sarcasm Smilies plus 1 Big Grin.
    It would appear that bunnyshooter's mate neglected to notice this.

Right, back to the "nub of the issue":

To quote myself:
    But bear in mind that whilst you can re-load / handload in the UK, you can't shoot any type of pistol or handgun, rimfire or centrefire, .22 or otherwise

Which part of this statement is wrong?
    Unless the newly-elected Conservative / LibDem Government have repealed the notorious Firearms (Amendment) Act 1997 and the Firearms (Amendment) No. 2 Act 1997 since coming to power recently, all types of "pistol or handgun, rimfire or centrefire, .22 or otherwise" remain prohibited in the UK.

If you again, carefully, read my previous post on this, you will see that I specifically refer to pistols and handguns, rimfire or centrefire - I do not mention historic, replica, or black-powder non-cartridge firearms. So what the poster has to say about black-powder etc. is irrelevant to what I posted.

I was also referring to the so-called "mainland" UK (i.e. the Great Britain bit of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland) - The poster should be aware, obviously coming from that country, that neither the Isle of Man nor the Channel Islands are part of the UK. And I wasn't referring to them at all in my post.
    Ruger Old Army .44" BP revolver and a second-issue Colt Walker, also in .44"

That's nice, but again, these are black-powder revolvers and are not rimfire or centrefire pistols or handguns, which I was referring to.
    I also have a .357 Magnum Ruger Super Redhawk with a 14" barrel and 2-7 Burris scope. True, it has a sticky-out thing on the butt that makes it a bit unwieldly to stick in your pocket - at 24.1" overall

AFAIK, that is classed as a "rifle" under the UK legislation and is licenced as such.
    I'd bet that anyone on THIS forum would recognise it has a [rather large] handgun.

Hmmmmm.....TBH I wouldn't!
    14inch Barrel?
    24.1inch Overall Length?

Is this licenced as a "short arm", i.e. pistol or handgun?
    I'd rather suspect not - and would be surprised if this wasn't licenced in the UK as a rifle.
    the Browning Buckmark pistol/carbine looks remarkably like a long-barrelled Browning Buckmark pistol.

It may look "remarkably like" a long-barrelled Buckmark pistol - But it isn't a Buckmark pistol.

Although, if the poster had been reading GunMart recently, they might have seen that some licensing authorities in the UK have recently deemed this Buckmark carbine to actually be a pistol, and not a rifle, and as such have refused to licence it. I'd respectfully suggest that the poster reads all the way through GunMart and not just the Henry Krank ad's!:D
    Having commanded tri-national troops in a combat zone

Not sure what this is supposed to mean or imply?
    What are a tri-national troops? Do you not mean the UK/HM Armed Forces or the Crown Forces, as they're often referred to?

And, my congratulations to you for holding the Queens Commission, Sir, but frankly, I'm not sure if this supposed to impress us or what? In a combat situation, I would of course, defer to your greater knowledge, but on this matter, your previous rank commanding "tri-national troops" (:confused:) is of little or no relevance.
    So Mr Corbus is wrong

I think one will find that it's dCorbus. Although, I do like the sound of "Mr. Corbus"....Has a nice ring to it.:D

And, if one wishes to carefully re-read my previous post (which has so exercised, irritated, and annoyed some out there in interwebland), you'll find that none of what i stated is either untrue or factually incorrect. Certain people are reading far more into what I wrote than was actually stated and becoming, I have to say, over-exercised by statements and purported untruths which, frankly, were not ever stated.:confused:
    I'd like to think that some kind soul here will put him right

Well, bunnyshooter has done as he was asked and we applaud him for his diligence! Well, done!;)

even if it means him making some sort of contact with me, eventually.

Although, what the hell does this mean?:confused:
    Kinda scary TBH!

But we've gone waaaaayyyyyyy off topic now! Apologies!
    dC out

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Finally managed to get on to the forum in person, and no longer need to ask a pal to post for me.

I'm very sorry that we seem to have gotten off to a bad start already, but I hope that we can settle our differences amicably. If not, then I'll go back where I came from, and no hard feelings.

The odd-looking revolvers we have here on mainland GB that ARE legal are called long-barrelled revolvers or long-barrelled pistols, depending on whether they are based on a revolver or a single-shot bolt or Drulov-style action. There are quite a few of both types in our club.

My lateness in responding to your post is because I've just been over in Oregon for the last month, and pay little or no attention to anything going on over this side of the water, and not having been able to participate in this forum anyhow until now, your post was the first one I read.

Sadly, because I also work in Tokyo, both my lap-tops and my desk-top are Japanese OS, and do not register the emoticons you used - I see them simply as hollow squares and therefore ignore them.

There are some fifteen Buckmark firearms in the club to which I belong - the individual interpretation of the Firearms Acts is down to the county decision-maker - six counties are represented by the ownership of this type of fiream in my club. As you note, some do allow them, and some don't.

My point about being in a position of responsiblity was made to reinforce my distaste at having to be overseen whilst shooting a more modern cartridge-firing handgun, of the type that you can have at the moment in the RoI. Without these 'safeguards' nobody is deemed safe to shoot such fearsome items on the few [seven?] ranges where they have to be stored and fired under supervision. Special permits ARE available to the very few who have the time, inclination and huge funds needed to acquire modern-style cartridge-firing handguns on mainland GB. Needless to say, I do not fit into that category, being a penurious and slightly disabled old veteran not far off pensionable age.

Let me finish up by saying that as an old fart with almost sixty years of shooting experience behind me [I began shooting at age six] I was rather hoping that I could be of some use to this forum, as I have to another Irish forum and five American-based fora.

Sadly, it seems that you are far better informed about shooting affairs both here in UK and in your own country than I could ever hope to be, and don't seem to need anything from me.

'Bye

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

Thanks for your response, tacfoley.

I accept your points - and welcome you to our small, perfectly formed, but rather argumentative forum!

As an "old fart":D, your term not mine, I'd absolutely defer to your far-far-far longer experience in shooting. That goes without saying (although it does indeed need to be said sometimes) - Here to learn!

Ok, I see why the position of responsibility was mentioned - and I take your point as to why you would feel this way about having to be in some way undermined or treated in a infantile manner in order to partake in your sport.

I trust that you will also accept that I was not referring to BP, but was referring to the de-facto banning of handguns (to all intents and purposes) in the UK? Yes, there are a number of exceptions to this ban, but to many shooters in the UK this has meant a de-facto ban on handguns and pistol target shooting, except in the very few and limited circumstances allowed, which you do bring to our attention.

It's odd that we, as two shooters, are now arguing amongst ourselves about a ban which should never have been allowed into law in the UK, and god forbid that such a law should ever come to pass in Ireland (Although, signs are that we're halfway there already!:eek:)

So, I offer the olive branch which I trust you'll accept?

And welcome on board!

dC

• Advertisement

Thanks bunnyshooter for posting that yesterday

My pleasure :D
    Why not!? :D

True:) I'll stand against the wall now :p
    Third party posting's on another web forum not related to this site, quoting my post from over a fortnight ago.....Come on, bunny....!

I thought you'd appreciate the chance to reply :o :P

Good to see you finally got here Tac :)

So, I offer the olive branch which I trust you'll accept? dC

Yup. [grin]

tac

Good to see you finally got here Tac :)

It wasn't for want of trying. Lots of things seem to have happened to my desktop PC while I was away. I got straight on here with no hassle, my updates were all updated and the thing is at least 10% faster than it was before I went away.

Hmmmmmmm.

tac

PS - what does YOUR emoticon indicate?

What :eek: (shocked face) * Harmony here :rolleyes: (rolleyes) *

:) (Smilie) *

* for Tac's benefit

On a small point on UK firearms law.ASFIK it IS possible to liscense contained cartridge handguns in the UK.Provided they are obscure and obsolesent,non commercially availabe cartridges?L

tac foley wrote: »
    ..........PS - what does YOUR emoticon indicate?

It's a SMILIE

: )

On a small point on UK firearms law.ASFIK it IS possible to liscense contained cartridge handguns in the UK.Provided they are obscure and obsolesent,non commercially availabe cartridges?L

Sir - it is entitrely possible to buy - without any form of licence whatsoever - a handgun that would use an unobtainable or obsolete calibre, such as .44 S&W Russian in the case of a revolver, or .45 Gabbet-Fairfax Mars in the case of a semi-auto. The Home Office list of obsolete calibres is long and desperately complicated-looking, but basically it is a list of cartridges for all firearms that are no longer in production, anywhere on the planet.

Needless to say, IF you subsequently manufacture your own ammunition by modifying an existing cartridge case - a simple matter in the case of the .44 S&W Russian - and use it, you have committed a serious criminal offence for which the minimum sentence is currently five years government hospitality and a the sole use of a one-room apartment with no pets.

It is the same with ANY antique long arm of any description, such as any of the many odd-ball Winchester underlever calibres - 32-20, 32-40 and so on. You can own the gun without any licence, but if you want to shoot it then you have to have it registered on your Firearms Certificate [FAC]. Note that here in UK we only have ONE FAC, on which ALL our firearms are detailed.

Sadly, my plans to buy an American Custer-era Trapdoor Springfield have been banged firmly on the swede due to the simple fact that 45-70 ammunition is still made in huge numbers, and I'm on my present locally-enforced county limit of firearms. In fact, I'm two over the limit, so in order to get any new firearm I would have to sell three.

Hope this answers your question. If not please ask again.

Best

tac

It's a SMILIE

: )

Ah, right.

; )

Best

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    Sir - it is entitrely possible to buy - without any form of licence whatsoever - a handgun that would use an unobtainable or obsolete calibre, such as .44 S&W Russian in the case of a revolver, or .45 Gabbet-Fairfax Mars in the case of a semi-auto. The Home Office list of obsolete calibres is long and desperately complicated-looking, but basically it is a list of cartridges for all firearms that are no longer in production, anywhere on the planet.

Tac,seeing Mrs Queen hasnt tapped me on the shoulder and head with a sword,and such honour is very unlikely,Grizz will do fine as a form of address.:D
    Anyways,the fact remains though you can still shoot a CF pistol or revolver on a FAC in the UK mainland ,providing it is an obsolete caliber???

• Advertisement

Tac,seeing Mrs Queen hasnt tapped me on the shoulder and head with a sword,and such honour is very unlikely,Grizz will do fine as a form of address.:D
    Anyways,the fact remains though you can still shoot a CF pistol or revolver on a FAC in the UK mainland ,providing it is an obsolete caliber???

Ah, Grizz, Sir - the law is pretty tight on that. Under the Section 5 rule you MAY possess a pre-1918 manufactured cartridge-firing handgun in a calibre still manufactured, but you are prohibited in law from ever shooting it. You are NOT permitted to acquire ammunition for it by any means.

This might be an instance where the firearm concerned is a family heirloom that was previously-licensed under the pre-1997 rules.

You are NOT, however, permitted to newly obtain such a firearm for the purpsoe of actually shooting the thing unless you are already a licensed FAC holder, under the Section 5 rule. Section 5[3], I bleeve. Under THIS rule, you are permitted to both own and shoot such a firearm, but the rules governing the safekeeping of both the gun and the ammunition are so stringent and restrictive that I know of nobody who has taken this route. There are only seven Home Office authorised locations in the entire mainland of GB where these firearms may be stored and shot, under supervision of an 'authorised range safety officer'. After shooting your ammunition under his watchful and beady eye, you clean the gun and hand it back to him for safe-keeping at that location. You may recall my comment in the original post about not lowering myself to this level of 'fun'. I also mention that buying a real live working centre-fire or rimfire handgun that fits the rules makes the prices that you pay seem like chickenfeed - try 4000eu for a beat-up Colt .45 Model M1911...made before 1918 of course.

Plus the hassle of travelling to visit your gun and the cost to obtain the necessary permit in the fust place - and remember that you have to already be a licensed firearms owner - this is not something that you suddenly decide would be a pretty neat, so let's go do it kind of thang.

I get my fill of handgun shooting over in Oregon, where I 'own' a large number of handguns and other stuff forbidden here in yUK, and where I can shoot them all till the barrels glow red in the sunset...

tac

Advertisement