Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

dura-ace

• 12-05-2010 7:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭

somehow Ive ended up buying some nos dura-ace components for a bike build, it seems its now gonna need a bigger budget!

apart from being lighter, will dura-ace hold up to more abuse from a heavy rider? I need to justify this new spending.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

apart from being lighter, will dura-ace hold up to more abuse from a heavy rider? I need to justify this new spending.

Absolutely. It is much, much stronger and more durable than Ultegra.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

Definately cheapest option in the long run,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,995 ✭✭✭✭blorg

Welcome to the club kumate_champ!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Thats what I wanted to hear, thanks!

Only problem is that by the time I'm finished the project the Summer will probably be gone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Lumen wrote: »
    Absolutely. It is much, much stronger and more durable than Ultegra.

I would not be so sure, I have both on two different bikes(6600 & 7800). Ultegra is probably stronger and more durable than DA. There is a very slight weight saving but at what cost?

However when sitting in the coffee shop looking out at your bike Dura-Ace is the clear winner.:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

jdt101 wrote: »
    There is a very slight weight saving but at what cost?
    Ssh! Quiet you!
    However when sitting in the coffee shop looking out at your bike Dura-Ace is the clear winner.:):):)
    Redeemed!

I have a 10 year old bike with Duraace 7700, and it is running as smoothly now as it was 10 years ago (although the frame is now a bit crappy). Tis a great commuter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,142 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

I would not be so sure, I have both on two different bikes(6600 & 7800). Ultegra is probably stronger and more durable than DA. There is a very slight weight saving but at what cost?

I think you're on the wrong thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

I have heard that DA cassettes wear quicker than the others. I always think of DA being the stuff of the pro's who can throw stuff this away at will cos they get it free. It's weight saving is at a cost. Put it this way, if money was no object I don't think I'd put DA on my commuter bike. Meh, maybe I would, selectively.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭jdt101

Lumen wrote: »
    I think you're on the wrong thread.

I can count myself lucky that my account wasn't suspened for such a comment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭papac

I always think of DA being the stuff of the pro's who can throw stuff this away at will cos they get it free

Jeebus. Keep your voice down. My wife might be reading this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

papac wrote: »
    Jeebus. Keep your voice down. My wife might be reading this.

Mrs pacpac, Mr pacpac has to turn pro before he gets anything free. This means spending the next 5 years in France racing full time while you support him or live off meagre winnings if he's any good. Even then he may never get into the "Free Stuff" ranks of pro cycling. So for now it is imperative that he spend as much money on cycling as he deems necessary to help him in the recreation of the dream that is pro cycling. Yours sincerely, Hungrycol.

Advertisement