Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Alan Wake??

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

So the flaks have no effect..at first i thought like others it was a other source of getting health back..but its only for a achivement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,390 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

im halfway through, loving it so far, will prob trade it in for Red Dead friday though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

I am still waiting for mine to arrive, I hate the Irish postal system

I think I may have to give up ordering online, whilst it is convienent it is a pain in the ass when they are all delivered late

• Closed Accounts Posts: 662 ✭✭✭Liber8or

Moiph wrote: »
    Just finished this now.
    Anyone got any opinions on the ending? Is Alan dead? Is Rose taking the place of Weaver? And was that Nightingale behind her? Leading us to believe he's the new person in control of the darkness etc?...so many questions!!

My interpretation of the ending is as follows:
    The game is heavily reliant on the idea of polarised metaphors. Light vs Dark, and the balance needed. Alan makes a reference to balance in the final cutscene where he sits down to write the remaining pages. I believe he makes a trade for Alice's life for his own. She escapes the darkness and he enters it under this idea of balance. That is why we see her swim to shore at the end and he remains in an alternate dimension of darkness.

Since Alan is now trapped in a dark dimension, I reckon the premise of the sequel will be about trying to escape. However, perhaps a spin off game involving Alice's attempts to find her husband could be in the works? Nevertheless, it would seem Nightingale has taken the place of Weaver as the link between both dimensions whilst possibly using Rose as a puppet for influence. This would be supported by what Weaver said before Wake grabbed her with the clicker; something along the lines of "Find another one to take my place". I thought it would be Wake, but it appears he is trapped and Nightingale is now the vassal for this presence in the real world.

Just my impressions anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

I just finished it last night and that's what I took the ending to mean too.

For once a video game that makes you think a little about the ending, kind of refreshing and very movie like.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Liber8or wrote: »
    My interpretation of the ending is as follows:
    The game is heavily reliant on the idea of polarised metaphors. Light vs Dark, and the balance needed. Alan makes a reference to balance in the final cutscene where he sits down to write the remaining pages. I believe he makes a trade for Alice's life for his own. She escapes the darkness and he enters it under this idea of balance. That is why we see her swim to shore at the end and he remains in an alternate dimension of darkness.

Since Alan is now trapped in a dark dimension, I reckon the premise of the sequel will be about trying to escape. However, perhaps a spin off game involving Alice's attempts to find her husband could be in the works? Nevertheless, it would seem Nightingale has taken the place of Weaver as the link between both dimensions whilst possibly using Rose as a puppet for influence. This would be supported by what Weaver said before Wake grabbed her with the clicker; something along the lines of "Find another one to take my place". I thought it would be Wake, but it appears he is trapped and Nightingale is now the vassal for this presence in the real world.

Just my impressions anyway...

Ye thats was what i thought too basically

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

whats in the download that due in july any one know??am thinking of trading alan wake when i finish it for red dead.
    red dead ;looks very good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

naughto wrote: »
    whats in the download that due in july any one know??

July 27th.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,193 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

Just finished it there now, for such a short game it dragged out, gameplay got boring, story line was a bit makey uppey, any recommend what new out I can trade it in for?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,814 ✭✭✭Nemanja91

Just finished it there now, for such a short game it dragged out, gameplay got boring, story line was a bit makey uppey, any recommend what new out I can trade it in for?

Hold off until Friday and get Red Dead Redemption!

• Advertisement

Just a tip to anyone who is planning on trading this in already that if you bought it in GameStop they have a 7 day return policy and no questions asked!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Just starting it tonight bit scary :D. Should i be looking behind stuff for hidden items to collect or is it all pretty much follow the path of the story? I spent a lot of time looking behind logs and stuff to find nothing.

Enjoying it though

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

Nemanja91 wrote: »
    Just a tip to anyone who is planning on trading this in already that if you bought it in GameStop they have a 7 day return policy and no questions asked!

Is this for real?? Why is everyone not at it - There must be a catch.

So I can run down to Gamestop during the week rent the game, finish it and give it back ?? I know this is what you're saying but it seems too good to be true

Cullen82 wrote: »
    Is this for real?? Why is everyone not at it - There must be a catch.

So I can run down to Gamestop during the week rent the game, finish it and give it back ?? I know this is what you're saying but it seems too good to be true

Well now last time I used it was back in November but I haven't heard nothing about the deal ending. When I did it I bought NBA 2K10 and I hated it so I just brought it back like 4 days later with receipt and I got 50 euro store credit, it's worth a try anyway!

whats in the download that due in july any one know??am thinking of trading alan wake when i finish it for red dead.
    red dead ;looks very good

The free DLC is to fill the gap and flesh out the story more about what happenes between season 1 and 2.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The free DLC is to fill the gap and flesh out the story more about what happened between episodes 1 and 2.
    Really? That would be so crap. I thought we'd get the first episode of a new "season". Not Episode 1.5.

Really? That would be so crap. I thought we'd get the first episode of a new "season". Not Episode 1.5.

Sorry yeah, I ment season.:o

Here is a link.
    http://www.xbox360achievements.org/news/news-5158-First-Alan-Wake-DLC-Dated--Won-t--Expand-Central-Narrative.html

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Ah that's a bit better I guess. I assume "different perspective" means you'll be playing as a different character through the same part of the story. As Nightingale maybe?

I'd love to play as Barry, I found him quite funny and a much needed character to the story. Either him or the Sheriff.
    Nightingale seems to much of a key mystery to play as and the fact the dark force held him for good chunk of the story only for Alan to write him back into reality at the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Its a bit depressing reading all the "Finished it just there..." comments.
    I'm stuck on Episode 2 heading up to Lovers Peak (playing on Hard). There is an area that seems to have respawning taken.

I have about 14 bullets and 2 batteries (and no flare gun or flares). I tried running back to the start and filling up on ammo, but the checkpoints don't resave when you reach them (so I'd have to run back every time which takes a couple of minutes).

I tried running past them, but Alan runs out of puff and they catch up.

Any tips? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Mr E wrote: »
    I'm stuck on Episode 2 heading up to Lovers Peak (playing on Hard). There is an area that seems to have respawning taken.

I have about 14 bullets and 2 batteries (and no flare gun or flares). I tried running back to the start and filling up on ammo, but the checkpoints don't resave when you reach them (so I'd have to run back every time which takes a couple of minutes).

Can you just keep going at the normal speed and only run in spurts? You might last long enough to get to a light.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Sometimes running is your best option, I played on Hard and had to do this a few times. Scout out for the nearest light source, that's where you'll be headed. Run in that direction, occasionally turn around and shine the torch at the Taken to startle/slow them, then keep running. Repeat until at light/checkpoint :)

koneko wrote: »
    Sometimes running is your best option, I played on Hard and had to do this a few times. Scout out for the nearest light source, that's where you'll be headed. Run in that direction, occasionally turn around and shine the torch at the Taken to startle/slow them, then keep running. Repeat until at light/checkpoint :)

+1. Every so often, I found I'd just get overwhelmed. Just get to the light at all costs. Sometimes dropping a flare or flashbang can buy you time, but try to save them until you're low on health. Flashbangs are like a win button, but they need to be conserved!

I finished it last night. It's excellent game, a very cinematic experience. Quite an
    abstract ending
    , I agree with Liber8or's idea. The music is also worthy of note, very cool choices.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

I love those moments, had a hell of a lot of them when I did my Nightmare difficulty playthrough. You just have to leg it and try to dodge their attacks when they catch up to you, sometimes I spin around and blind them with the flashlight a bit to try and slow them down. If you have flares that's the time to use 'em. The second you run out of sprint leave go of the button to get it to recharge, just try to keep dodging and blinding them until it recharges.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Got past it last night alright, didn't even fire a shot. I just needed to turn around once or twice to burn them with the torch. The screen was black and white by the time I reached the light, and one hit would have killed me, but I made it. Well into Episode 3 now. :)

Its too scary for me i dont like it :D going back to hello kitty adventure land.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

would it be worth keeping just for the download in july i want to get red dead but need to trade some thing against it with a good value behinde it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,173 ✭✭✭cableguy.ie

would it be worth keeping just for the download in july i want to get red dead but need to trade some thing against it with a good value behinde it

You could trade in Battlefield Kev:D:D:D Kidding.

The screen was black and white by the time I reached the light, and one hit would have killed me, but I made it.

These moments are excellent, I had a couple on my playthrough. The sense of relief when you reach the light is awesome!

• Advertisement

Christ i was on a really spooky bit and a daddy long legs landed on my ear i jumped out of the seat controller went flying !! :D took a few minutes to settle my heart rate

Advertisement