Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

private source

Options
  • 12-05-2010 8:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭

hey there guys just looking for some information about buying a shotgun from a "private source" i was talking to a lad who has a Beretta semi auto shotgun for sale and i'm trying to buy it off him atm just wondering when i buy it off him can i bring it in the car to store in the gun dealers or does he have to bring it(he said he wont do that)or can he hold on to it untill my license come's threw?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 315 ✭✭pajero2005

As long as his licence is still valid he can hold it for you until such time as you get your licence and produce it to him. Just get a letter form him stating his intention to sell you the gun (as you would from any gun dealer you were buying a gun from)

I don't think you can bring it to a gun dealer as you have no licence to carry the firearm at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭dCorbus

I don't think you can bring it to a gun dealer as you have no licence to carry the firearm at the moment

Major +1
    when i buy it off him can i bring it in the car to store in the gun dealers

No, no, no!:rolleyes: Do not even think of doing this (for your own sake).

Unless you have your licence, don't even think of doing this IMO. In the event that you got caught, you'd be really up the s**t creek without a paddle.

I know.....sure, how would I get caught, it's only a short trip, etc. etc.
    But.....think about it: You get a flat tyre, Some eejit rear-ends you, or something similar, and there you are with an un-licenced firearm in your boot. That will take some explaining away.

(and if convicted or even charged, you'd probably loose all your firearms licences and probably never get one ever again.:eek:)

To paraphrase nike: "Just don't do it".:D
    does he have to bring it(he said he wont do that)

Ok, fair enough, that's his choice - But a bit unusual i would have thought? Why won't he do that?
    can he hold on to it untill my license come's threw?

Looks like he'll have to hold onto the gun til then, if he's not willing or able to facilitate you by using an RFD to do the transfer.

That's your only legit option in this case.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

............. just wondering when i buy it off him can i bring it in the car to store in the gun dealers...........

No. For two reasons.

First and foremost as dCorbus explained, you are not licensed on the firearm and for someone to allow you to take it (even for 5 minutes) would land both you and him in trouble and you can kiss any hope of a license goodbye.

Secondly. Whenever a firearm is left into a dealers, even for repairs, the firearms dealer must log the firearm into his register of firearms so in the off chance he is inspected by An Gardai he is legally covered. How does he explain a firearm on his books that A) is not licensed to the person the gave it in, B) has no details of the licensed person, C) he doesn't have it on his register and lands himself in the s**t.

As dCorbus already covered so well, the temptation to get a firearm as quick as possible is strong. Lets face it we all want it straight away. Unfortunately is doesn't work that way, and if anything when buying privately you must be even more above board so as to eliminate any idea improper conduct. Its a pain, but do it right and enjoy. Cut corners and spend weeks/months looking over your shoulder.
    dCorbus wrote:
    .........or does he have to bring it(he said he wont do that)
    Ok, fair enough, that's his choice - But a bit unusual i would have thought? Why won't he do that?

+1 on that. I can understand any lad being cautious, but i assume you have had or will get a look at it and a chance to inspect it properly and get a feel of the gun? If he refuses, be careful. I know you are not naive or a fool so please don't take that as a criticism. Just a word of caution.

Hope it works out well for you though. Great gun.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭theirishguy

thanks guys for clearing that up for me!

but i assume you have had or will get a look at it and a chance to inspect it properly and get a feel of the gun? If he refuses, be careful. I know you are not naive or a fool so please don't take that as a criticism. Just a word of caution

yeh just had a look at it, and its not all that tbh i think i'm going to leave it where it is and buy the single barrel baikel i was looking at before,the gun is very rough looking and chunks gone out of the stock and he asked me 600 and he wont budge on the price.

thanks anyway guys for that information should help in the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,024 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

QUOTE]the gun is very rough looking and chunks gone out of the stock and he asked me 600 and he wont budge on the price.[/QUOTE]

GOTTA ADMIRE that guys neck!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    QUOTE]the gun is very rough looking and chunks gone out of the stock and he asked me 600 and he wont budge on the price.

GOTTA ADMIRE that guys neck!:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

€600 should buy you a minter of a quality second hand semi in the times we're in...as Grizzly said a neck like a jockey's bollix.

Advertisement