Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute Predictions

Options
  • 12-05-2010 8:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭

So apparently the Institute predictions are the be all and end all and usually come up in June, anyone been to any of the revision courses or actually go there could they post up the predictions ?

I went to a Chemistry one over Easter and we were told the Bleach titration and maybe some of the water ones

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

For Irish we were told to look at politics and sport for the aiste

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Mwah

Got told yesterday that the Jarrow marches may very well be up (history)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

The institute aren't the SEC so beware that some of the predictions may be wrong before you believe them.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

unknown13 wrote: »
    The institute aren't the SEC so beware that some of the predictions may be wrong before you believe them.

Yep, the teachers there may be good but they are not psychic and there are plenty of knowledgeable teachers in schools around the country whose predictions are just as accurate.

In some subjects it's a bit more straightforward to make predications eg Chemistry has three experiments in Section A, so it's safe to rule out the ones that came up in 2009. As the experiments can be grouped a pattern can often be seen. A student with a set of past papers and a bit of common sense can make the prediction themselves on that particular paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,744 ✭✭✭theowen

Yep, the teachers there may be good but they are not psychic and there are plenty of knowledgeable teachers in schools around the country whose predictions are just as accurate.

In some subjects it's a bit more straightforward to make predications eg Chemistry has three experiments in Section A, so it's safe to rule out the ones that came up in 2009. As the experiments can be grouped a pattern can often be seen. A student with a set of past papers and a bit of common sense can make the prediction themselves on that particular paper.
    Would you have any predictions for ag science?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Healium

theowen wrote: »
    Well, your first step is to toss the syllabus and Breen & Mullen book out the window, because they;re no good to ya... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 rebex1118

Mwah wrote: »
    Got told yesterday that the Jarrow marches may very well be up (history)

apparently Mussolini and Cumann na nGaedheal are likely to come up too (history)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

theowen wrote: »

No simply because every section of the course is covered in the paper in one form or another.

Q2 is always soil
    Q4 is always four experiments to do two
    Q7 is always genetics

There is always a choice in Q3 and there is a tendency, but it's not written in stone to have one scientific based question and one agricultural based question in this one. EG Option one could be on sheep and Option 2 could be on photosynthesis/respiration/transpiration.

Q9 is always the scientific explanations which tend to repeat themselves over the years so if you sit down with a set of past papers and the marking schemes you should have all the answers to that question. It's generally poorly answered, but has improved in recent years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 XXRachelXX

Anyone got their predictions for Physics ?? PM me please :)

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭gemxpink

My Predictions for Accounting:
    Q1: Company Account
    Q2/3/4: ??
    Q5: The usual~
    Q6: Club Account
    Q7: Correction of Errors and Suspense
    Q8: Marginal Costing (possibly with Absorption)
    Q9: Flexible Budgeting

For Maths apparently either the sin or x^3 proof will come up.

Anyone else want to share theirs?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 L.C.Deirdre

XRays are highly tipped, I have my money on 'vaporisation of water' in Sec.A, and Gravitational Forces didn't come up last year so... fingers crossed!

Physics, btw! =]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Reillyman

gemxpink wrote: »
    For Maths apparently either the sin or x^3 proof will come up.

What proof is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

XRays are highly tipped, I have my money on 'vaporisation of water' in Sec.A, and Gravitational Forces didn't come up last year so... fingers crossed!

Physics, btw! =]

I'd love that paper! Boyle's Law and Snell's Law are also tipped for part A! The photoelectric effect is also due up!

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭SnowPretzel

Reillyman wrote: »
    What proof is that?

First Principles in Differentiation I think!

First Principles in Differentiation I think!

Higher Level? Seems pretty standard tbh, most people should be well prepared for them like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭irish-anabel

Well I'm f***ked for Irish then!!! I've just prepared this one big general essay that includes daoine oga, violence, crime, drugs and a bitta drinkin. oops!

for the sciences you could work it out easily yourself by just looking at the exam papers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 paddyh

Anyone have their predictions for Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or French ??

Thanks a million :D

Have a gut feeling that Economics Growth and Development will be a question in economics, as well as a (c) part somewhere on Keynesian economics.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Rich1691

for the sciences you could work it out easily yourself by just looking at the exam papers.

If only it were that easy!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

paddyh wrote: »
    Anyone have their predictions for Economics, Physics, Chemistry, Biology or French ??

Thanks a million :D

Hi Paddy, don't know if you know this already but ExamVillage are having a free Economics revision class. This is the email I got from them, I'm JC so this doesn't apply to me.

This class will cover:

a) Exam Question Review: Review of KEY Long questions & solutions from recent examination papers

including: 2008 Q1, 2007 Q2, 2002 Q4.
    b) Review of up-to-date Economic Statistics on:

- Inflation
    - National debt
    - Economic Growth
    - Employment

There are only 50 places available for this free class, so book early!!

To book your place in this class, take the following steps:
    1) Login or register on examvillage.com at:

http://www.examvillage.com/register

2) When logged in you can access the free class on:

http://www.examvillage.com/class_details/leaving_cert_higher/economics_h_47/254,lc_econh_-_review_of_key_past_exam_ques.

3) Click 'add to cart'
    4) Click on the 'shopping cart icon' to review items (click on icon)
    5) Click ‘continue to check out’
    6) Click on 'add the class to your student account'.

Please note this class is free and is limited to the first 50 students who book through ExamVillage.com.

• Advertisement

^Cheers dude! Just registered there, wonder if it'll be any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭kevin12345

Reillyman wrote: »
    ^Cheers dude! Just registered there, wonder if it'll be any good?

well I had a maths class the other day, it was reallyy helpful. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭irish_man

I'd love that paper! Boyle's Law and Snell's Law are also tipped for part A! The photoelectric effect is also due up!

I went to the institute at Christmas for the revision course and the didn't even give me notes on the photoelectric effect.

Advertisement