Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Zola brings news reporters coffee

• 12-05-2010 8:20pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭

What an out and out gentleman.

And to think those two mountebanks are claiming he's in breach of contract :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

he just seems like a sound sound fella. perhaps too nice to be a top manager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

I thought it was somewhat cringe worthy tbh. I like Zola and all that but this gets a big fat meh from me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Didnt Johnathon Ross bring cups of tea out to reporters a few months back?!!

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

ha ha ha that's pure class. I wonder if those reporters felt bad about camping outside his gaff after that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

that was fierce nice of zola, well played

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

How come if I'm found in someones garden waiting for them all night they just shout at me? :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Coffee?
    Check.
    Cream?
    Check.
    Half a bottle of laxative?
    Check.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

One of footballs real nice guys, a legend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Nice Touch alright. But is he too nice to be a top manager ?? I know he had a good relationship with the players etc, but im not sure about him.

In saying that, his day's were always numbered when them 2 clowns took over the club. Bidding for players without even consulting the manager :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Coffee?
    Check.
    Cream?
    Check.
    Half a bottle of laxative?
    Check.

Enough shite comes out of the British media mate, no need for the laxative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

flahavaj wrote: »
    I thought it was somewhat cringe worthy tbh. I like Zola and all that but this gets a big fat meh from me.

Whats cringeworthy about it?. The man is liked universally by almost every football fan. Those lads were no doubt camped outside his house for a long time, he brought them out a drink. He may not be a ruthless enough character to be a top top manager but at least he doesnt have 'notions of grandeur' that seperate him from us 'peasants'.

daithijjj wrote: »
    Whats cringeworthy about it?. The man is liked universally by almost every football fan. Those lads were no doubt camped outside his house for a long time, he brought them out a drink. He may not be a ruthless enough character to be a top top manager but at least he doesnt have 'notions of grandeur' that seperate him from us 'peasants'.

I'd also say it got rid of them. Did you hear by the end of the clip the journalists had resorted to embarrassed well wishes? I reckon when Zola went back into his gaf they knew they weren't getting feck all out of him, combined with the slight embarrassment that he'd made them coffee, and they went on their way.

Positive press coverage... check
    Get rid of journalists at your gate... check
    Use up that Aldi coffee that's been sitting in the fridge for 2 years... check

Don't underestimate the utility of being nice....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Neil3030 wrote: »
    I'd also say it got rid of them. Did you hear by the end of the clip the journalists had resorted to embarrassed well wishes? I reckon when Zola went back into his gaf they knew they weren't getting feck all out of him, combined with the slight embarrassment that he'd made them coffee, and they went on their way.

Positive press coverage... check
    Get rid of journalists at your gate... check
    Use up that Aldi coffee that's been sitting in the fridge for 2 years... check

Don't underestimate the utility of being nice....

Exactly, he was just using the coffee as an olive branch to the journos to feck off and it probably worked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

daithijjj wrote: »

Those poor nice men from the press, God love them.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I would have sent him back to get me a cup of tea. Probably would have done it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

Absolute gent, had the pleasure of meeting him back in his Chelsea days and got his autograph. :D Zola 25. :) Chelsea legend.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Neil3030 wrote: »
    And to think those two mountebanks are claiming he's in breach of contract :mad:

They deserve Iain Dowie as manager..there I said it. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I never before realised how much Zola looks like Ben Stiller.

They pretty much have to make a movie of his life now, just for that.

• Moderators Posts: 8,728 ✭✭✭x PyRo

A true gent, Fair play to him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

I have met him ( about 3 years ago ), I can confirm he is truly a nice guy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

ha ha ha that's pure class. I wonder if those reporters felt bad about camping outside his gaff after that...

They did, watching yesterday I'm sure I heard the Sky fella asking if he wanted them to leave.

Can't believe Gold and Sullivan are trying to weasal him out of compensation money for 'speaking out' against them - ffs, they were undermining him from the word go through the press, and he rightfully said it wasn't helping matters. Hope Zola and the LMA take them to the cleaners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,014 ✭✭✭Eirebear

flahavaj wrote: »
    Those poor nice men from the press, God love them.:rolleyes:

To be fair the chances are they were probably staffers or juniors who were told to go and wait there by a hardass editor.
    Theyre just doing the job they were told to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Dancor

St Zola

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,524 ✭✭✭joe123

I hope west ham get relegated next season.

They did, watching yesterday I'm sure I heard the Sky fella asking if he wanted them to leave.

Can't believe Gold and Sullivan are trying to weasal him out of compensation money for 'speaking out' against them - ffs, they were undermining him from the word go through the press, and he rightfully said it wasn't helping matters. Hope Zola and the LMA take them to the cleaners.

I know, just when you thought they couldn't stoop any lower. Thankfully the judge will take one look at them in their gaudy suits and say, "I don't care what the charge is here, I rule in favour of the other guys"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

Mr Alan wrote: »
    he just seems like a sound sound fella. perhaps too nice to be a top manager

actually, I think i agree totally here with Alan (Sir)..

shock. ... . :o:o:o:o

he is probably too nice for his own good. top bloke for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

dfx- wrote: »

phil brown, and phil browns son double act they deserve

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,879 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

actually, I think i agree totally here with Alan (Sir)..

shock. ... . :o:o:o:o

he is probably too nice for his own good. top bloke for sure

i know people have said it before but i think he could be a great no.2

dfx- wrote: »

Too harsh..... far too harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

joe123 wrote: »
    Had Zola remained as manager next season, you may have got your wish.
    To be honest, I'm not surprised Gollivan are seeking to make it out that he was in breach of contract. They're two businessmen who have inherited a club in tatters financially and they'll be looking to avoid any tiny bit of unnecessary expenditure they can, even if it means acting like pr*cks to a genuinely nice guy like Zola.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,562 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

but it could cost them more in the long run.Zola sues them for his compensation and wins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

joe123 wrote: »

They've already become next seasons Hull City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

What a gent

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Have just seen this for the first time. Reminds me of a modern day Bobby Robson. True gent.

Advertisement