Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to be a mod.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,591 ✭✭✭✭Aidric

indulge me here but what does symbol "/" refer to when its put in a reply.
    End of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Aidric wrote: »
    End of.

It's also used to denote an action, from irc clients

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

A ton of good info there tbh.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

great post TBH....

Funnily enough, thats pretty much the checks and balances we do when we get suggestions for Mod candidates.

SOTS we already do all of the suggestions you made. We dont make people a mod if they jump up and down asking, mods are made by admin only however we dont require knowledge of a topic to be a mod per se, though its favourably looked upon.

DeV.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I'll sticky this when we are done (cos it will suffer from sticky-blindness otherwise).

DeV.

• Advertisement

any chance someone could prune out all the off-topic posts?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

tbh wrote: »
    any chance someone could prune out all the off-topic posts?

Good idea, you should be a moderator. :)

Done.

Ladies and Gents, please stay on topic. No more warnings.

Ktanxbai.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ladies and Gents, please stay on topic. No more warnings.
    Thats all very well Des but you seem to make the assumption that others don't on here. Yes you mod the Dublin City forum but others post on it as well. Dublin as much our city as your city.
    Des get that you do a lot on here but it seems as if you are talking yourself up to talk others down. If deleting spam is the main thing you do , that statement is not really representing the good stuff that people post on here.
    As for soccer team fair play on that but again there are other ways that people contribute on boards.
    Not sure if you noticed but we had a very substantial debate on Lisbon last year. It was never fully recognized on boards the contribution that was made on that.
    This is for all intents and purposes a place where we debate stuff. The soccer team while worth while is extra curricular. Wouldn't place as much emphasis on.

Banned.

I am going to clean up this thread for the last time.

Any more off-topic posting will get the same treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Mods should be picked by join date obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 332 ✭✭freighter

I would like to be one how do i apply

• Advertisement

There's a group of "regulars" here who are like broken records and are just continuing rows from other threads anywhere they interact.

Its got to stop and it will stop. No more sniping, no more stupid "I was just wondering" threads which are laced with agenda (SOTS, you listening?). No more snide pot-shot taking. Cut it out, this is yore ma givin' you one of *those* looks.... :)

Back on topic. (Thanks Tom!)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

DeVore wrote: »
    There's a group of "regulars" here who are like broken records and are just continuing rows from other threads anywhere they interact.

Its got to stop and it will stop. No more sniping, no more stupid "I was just wondering" threads which are laced with agenda (SOTS, you listening?). No more snide pot-shot taking. Cut it out, this is yore ma givin' you one of *those* looks.... :)

Back on topic. (Thanks Tom!)

DeV.
    I don't know whether to take you seriously or in jest sometimes. :D Anywho, SOTS is banned so unless he logged out or re-regged he can't see this, silly. :P

I do have a genuine Q, though, not a complaint or anything but just a small thing that's niggling at the back of the cranium. Are LoLth and trojan busy with other things that Zaph and Tom had to step in on the threads? (I think Dav even stepped in on one or two aswell a week or two ago?) Again, just a curious question as they're listed as the forum mods but we don't see them all that much. :) You may delete upon reading so it doesn't clutter the thread.

Yes, Lolth is busy, Trojan is on sabatical because he has a new company to work on. Admins are admins, there are areas of responsibility but these are not lines of demarcation.

It didnt strike me as even slightly odd to see Zaph and Tom here, quite the opposite, the lads lately have justified our belief that they have what it takes to be admins.

Sots I am dealing with elsewhere. What i'm saying is that a lot of the people on this thread who have been arguing off topic are on thin ice and may not know it.

I'd hate to think they didnt have fair warning.

DeV.

Of course I get the fact that they're all only human and it's voluntary so real life comes first. I didn't see it odd that tom and zaph have been active on the threads. I think it's a good thing that admins arms can stretch site wide to help out when needs be. I was just curious as to how they got here before trojan or LoLth. Being nosey, basically. :)

The warnings were fair & clear and put out there and stood to everyone. It's pretty shít on tbh. He put in a good bit of effort into his Op and the thread and then the silly bitch fits and agendas destroyed the thread.

It cluttered it up, made those posters look silly (for want of a better word) and created extra, and most definitely not needed, extra work for admins to deal with in deleting posts, keeping an eye on the thread etc.

Anywho, I'll go venture being nosey elsewhere for a while. o/

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

El_Ganador wrote: »
    Of course I get the fact that they're all only human and it's voluntary so real life comes first. I didn't see it odd that tom and zaph have been active on the threads. I think it's a good thing that admins arms can stretch site wide to help out when needs be. I was just curious as to how they got here before trojan or LoLth. Being nosey, basically. :)

I just happened to be around when intervention was needed, as was Tom Dunne. Nothing more to it than that really. While Trojan and LoLth may be listed as the mods for Feedback, in reality any admin can step in here, and as TD and I haven't got any specific areas of responsibility we tend to just roam the corridors of boards looking for trouble. Or something like that. :D

Yeah but your sig makes you out as a super hero. Tom doesn't have anything. He's boring. Can we give Tom the Amp test? :D Sorry, I'll go now. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I have a quick general question on Modding, for liability purposes etc, is there shift work in the busy forums so as to make sure that everything is above board?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

I have a quick general question on Modding, for liability purposes etc, is there shift work in the busy forums so as to make sure that everything is above board?

I can only answer for AHs here, but we do communicate if we won't be around for a while.

It works well, and the rest of us know who is around re a certain time frame.

As for shift work, Rabies is generally about when the rest of us are sleeping or just being posters elsewhere.

But in general, it's when the rest of us are sleeping he is starting his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,136 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Zaph wrote: »
    in reality any admin can step in here, and as TD and I haven't got any specific areas of responsibility we tend to just roam the corridors of boards looking for trouble. Or something like that. :D
    Ohhhh... like America.

I can only answer for AHs here, but we do communicate if we won't be around for a while.

It works well, and the rest of us know who is around re a certain time frame.

As for shift work, Rabies is generally about when the rest of us are sleeping or just being posters elsewhere.

But in general, it's when the rest of us are sleeping he is starting his day.

I haveto take my hats off to ye really cos lets face it, boards is a commercial site relying on traffic for revenue and I would imagne the largest part of that comes from AH.

So I hope you get more than a secret handshake and free access to the S&S forum, I'm assuming there's a mod swinging club tbh :D

• Advertisement

Unfortunately the only other thing the mods get is abuse mainly. And the odd pint or two at a mods beers.

TBH's post still stands and this thread will be sanitised and the worthy parts preserved!

DeV.

DeVore wrote: »
    Unfortunately the only other thing the mods get is abuse mainly. And the odd pint or two at a mods beers.

TBH's post still stands and this thread will be sanitised and the worthy parts preserved!

DeV.

Thanks Dev.
    Shame about the abuse. At least you have the raw mackrel to fall back on :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Soccer is quite like AH in the sense that having someone in a very different timezone helps massively.

We don't have 'shifts' per se but if someone is going to be on holidays, has a family matter etc then we just drop a post in our mod forum and the rest of the lads know what's going on.

Rarely do we get a situation where the forum is without a mod for more than a few hours, and even then there's always a Cmod or Admin about.

Unfortunately I miss a lot of the juicy stuff being the one in the other timezone :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

So I hope you get more than a secret handshake and free access to the S&S forum, I'm assuming there's a mod swinging club tbh :D

There isn't one, unless someone else organised and they've excluded me :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

A little thing that hasn't been mentioned is a mod should endeavor to promote and expand their forums. In my "baby mod" days I will admit to having been too cautious and doing everything "by the book" - trust me that doesn't work. You need to look at the bigger picture and whats best for "your" forum and its' regulars.

But back to promoting a forum. A couple of years back we got a new "Construction & Planning" forum set up. We battled hard to keep the shills and spammers away to ensure that it was a place where anyone with a related query or topic to debate could do so in the knowledge that they were getting free and independent advice.

It took a bit of work but that work paid off and over a period of time we found the need to categorise various topics and today we now have the original forum plus 4 dedicated sub forums to deal with the various issues in a more specific context.

That is one of the many success stories that can be seen regularly but it wouldn't have been a success without the dedication and work of the mods involved.

So for anyone wanting to be a mod be prepared to roll up the sleeves and get stuck into doing whats best for the forum. Forums need a little TLC at times if they are to function properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

Just a question. Do Mods, Admins and all you higher ups get fed up of having all that responsibility and ever want to just be a regular poster again?

Just curious, pleeze don't kill me?

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Fago! wrote: »
    Just a question. Do Mods, Admins and all you higher ups get fed up of having all that responsibility and ever want to just be a regular poster again?

Just curious, pleeze don't kill me?
    I wouldn't have figures for that obviously but yes, quite a few of them do "step down" for a variety of reasons but a good percentage of those cite that very reason - they just want to be an ordinary Joe Soap again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭Dohnny Jepp

Often see mods stand down from modship for a couple of months for a breather and then step back into it without missing a beat. Just some R&R :P.

Anyways I think all posts bar the opening one should be deleted and then locked and stickied :D

Fago! wrote: »

yeah sometimes.
    Sometimes I feel like I "have" to check on boards, where I'm looking for problems rather than hanging out.

Sometimes I'd like to speak my mind, but I know it'd be taken as official mod/cmod policy by some people, and used as a stick in future debates, and that's unfair to everyone else. so I have to shut up. Not. My. Style :)

Sometimes I can see people straight out lying about something, but I can't say anything because, well, you can't say anything.

Sometimes you get abuse for doing what you thought was the right thing.

Sometimes I have to close a thread that I enjoy reading because some people don't like it.

all that kind of stuff can be tricky, but it's the exception rather than the rule.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Of course some do... People get fed up... We're all different, have different views and thresholds so it's no suprise to me when I see some people just shrug their shoulders and decide it's time to step down for one (or many) of the plathora of possible reasons out there.

On another note, it's often very rarely been a 'fed up' issue - Sometimes RL just takes priority... Sometimes people just move on in their internet lives...

Sadly, sometimes people get stressed out and feel they HAVE to step down... And this isn't an uncommon thing, either, which makes it all the more saddening when it happens. Truth is, justified or not, Moderators take flak and I've seen a damn lot of them pass the torch over time purely because they felt it was too stressful, or that shouldering the stress for X time has proved not to be worth the reward at the end and they figure its pointless trying to continue. Some people have encounters Boards users who have made it their aim and goal to push people out of the website altogether, or just plain enjoy making it as miserable as possible for them.

Not saying being a Moderator is always so sad or stressful but these things can and do happen so, yes, sometimes people get a bit fed up.

I don't know a lot of Posters/Moderators anymore on Boards because the numbers are so huge, but you can't help but sympathize with these scenarios regardless - At the end of the day, if a Moderator is decent (and was chosen for the right reasons) then they are a Moderator because they have pitched in a lot of effort into Boards.ie (or just specific Forums on Boards) and to see them get pushed out after becoming a Moderator really is a sad thing to witness or read up on in goodbye threads.

It's not a bed of thorns but it certainly isn't a bed of roses, either, and that goes for CMods, SMods, Admins too.

Partly why I used to bite back against the plathora of chancers in the past back in old-Feedback when it was swimming in sly 'Make me a Mod' hinting was because you knew Moderating (especially back then) could prove to be a very difficult task and only the really dedicated would ever shoulder it if it boiled down to the nasty side for them, so those looking for a bit of status wouldn't ever last long.

Again, I'm not trying to come across as overly carebare - It's not a case of it all being bad (certainly not all the time anyways) but on the flip side there've been so many cases of people having to leave for seemingly all the wrong reasons or because of other people's doing that it's a bit depressing. And yes, sometimes people just say screw it, I'm fed up ^^

Everyone is human afterall.
    tbh wrote: »
    yeah sometimes.
    Sometimes I feel like I "have" to check on boards, where I'm looking for problems rather than hanging out.

Sometimes I'd like to speak my mind, but I know it'd be taken as official mod/cmod policy by some people, and used as a stick in future debates, and that's unfair to everyone else. so I have to shut up. Not. My. Style :)

Sometimes I can see people straight out lying about something, but I can't say anything because, well, you can't say anything.

Sometimes you get abuse for doing what you thought was the right thing.

Sometimes I have to close a thread that I enjoy reading because some people don't like it.

all that kind of stuff can be tricky, but it's the exception rather than the rule.
    muffler wrote: »
    I wouldn't have figures for that obviously but yes, quite a few of them do "step down" for a variety of reasons but a good percentage of those cite that very reason - they just want to be an ordinary Joe Soap again.

Nice one fellas. Just as I thought.

Advertisement