Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to be a mod.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,130 ✭✭✭✭Kiera

Nicely said should I guess that you were a mod before.
    I was a hmod on this site and an Admin on another site.
    After in becomes a mod must they actively be online for a minimum of 2hrs each week or so or make certain amount of corrections. ?
    No. There is no amount of time they should be online. Usually they are chosen if they know the forum they post in and if they have time to mod that forum. You could be a very reg poster but if were asked to mod you might not have the time as you only post a few times a day and cannot give up much time to mod. Being a mod does take some amount of your time between dealing with reported posts and posters who pm you about queries. For the likes of AH, i'd say a lot of the mods time is taken up with reported posts. If you log on for an hour you could spend that whole time looking into reported posts.
    I saw that in after hours. :)
    Saw what?
    You also mentioned that when one wants to become a mod they don't choose what forum they would like to mod,bDon't they have a say in this?
    No that's not what i said. If you "want" to becaome a mod, it might not happen that you will become a mod. The way it works is:

You post a lot in a forum.
    You have general cop-on in that forum.
    The mods are looking for a new mod - they see someone who knows the way the forum runs.
    They like how that poster conducts themselves on that forum.
    They ask the poster if they will take on a modship of that forum.
    The admins look into it and either agree or disagree.
    Poster becomes a mod of that forum.

You do not choose what forum you mod, it chooses you ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

You also mentioned that when one wants to become a mod they don't choose what forum they would like to mod,bDon't they have a say in this?

You don't choose where you want to mod. You might be asked if you will mod a particular forum based on the criteria mentioned already. You can say no. If you do say no you won't be offered an alternative forum to mod. It's not an auction.

As regards your question about 'ranks'.
    • Mods mod individual forums.
    • CMods mod Categories and adjudicate on DRP posts in those categories. The are the first port of appeal on mod actions.
    • Admins mod the site and are the final arbiters on DRPs after Cmods have ruled. They also have input into site policy.
    • Founders hog all the coke and hookers. The bastards.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

They ask the poster if they will take on a modship of that forum.
    The admins look into it and either agree or disagree.
    Poster becomes a mod of that forum.

The way it stands, atm:

The Mods will put forward names.

Admin will look into and consider all names.

Only when someone has been approved,will the mods ask that person if they are intrested.

So,names first,then admin check,then a Pm to ask if the poster would like to accept.

It's a better approach,as the only one to know they were being considered is the one that got the all clear.

If they say no,then it's back to the list of names and it starts all over again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Zaph wrote: »
    There are plenty of older posters who are far more immature than some of our younger mods and haven't a snowball's chance in hell of ever being asked to mod a forum.
    /Sneekin' under the net.
    Some of us bypassed immaturity and went straight to senility.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think I should be a mod because I have loike soooooooooo many posts. It sickens me to the core that some peasant with a handful of posts has become a mod ahead of me.

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Zaph wrote: »
    ...There are plenty of older posters who are far more immature than some of our younger mods and haven't a snowball's chance in hell of ever being asked to mod a forum.

:(

*sniff*

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

OldGoat wrote: »
    Some of us bypassed immaturity and went straight to senility.

You can still be senile and immature.

So I am told.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    You can still be senile and immature.

So I am told.
    One can only hope. Can't be doing with all this 'reality' and 'living in the here and now' malarky.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

OldGoat wrote: »
    One can only hope. Can't be doing with all this 'reality' and 'living in the here and now' malarky.

There's a cure for that, it's called beer and there's even stronger stuff for those who are acute cases :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Could this be why my blood appears to be about 75% scotch?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Sarky wrote: »
    Could this be why my blood appears to be about 75% scotch?
    Only 75%. Amateur.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    Only 75%. Amateur.

I've been on a bus all day. Hipflasks aren't bottomless, alas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

I'd love to be a mod... who do I PM my CV to? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I'd love to be a mod... who do I PM my CV to? :)
    Victor

muffler wrote: »

Seriously?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

no not seriously :pac:

tbh wrote: »
    no not seriously :pac:

So who do I PM if I'd like to be considered for a particular forum that I post a lot on? Category mods?

So who do I PM if I'd like to be considered for a particular forum that I post a lot on? Category mods?

well...the mods suggest replacements to the cmods, so I'd pm them. but in fact i wouldn't pm them, generally they ask you, you don't ask them. If you want to be considered on a forum, the best advice I could give you is keep your nose clean and report any posts you think are problematic - it's all there in the OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

It is more of a "Don't call us - we'll call you" scenario.

OK, thanks for the info. :)

I shall bide my time... (for the next week or so....) ;)

This offer comes but once a decade...:p

• Advertisement

OK, thanks for the info. :)

I shall bide my time... (for the next week or so....) ;)

This offer comes but once a decade...:p

trust me - it's not nearly as much fun as you think, if you do it right.

Fun?

It is a serious commitment!!! :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

You might want to read the OP again. ;)

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You might want to read the OP again. ;)

Don't have to now.:p

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Wish someone had warned me of this a few months ago :(
    <sniff, wiping tear from eye, remembering the good old days, like 2 or 3 months ago>

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Pffft. And you mods think you have it hard? Don't get me started.....

Taltos wrote: »
    Wish someone had warned me of this a few months ago :(
    <sniff, wiping tear from eye, remembering the good old days, like 2 or 3 months ago>

:D:D

Ah, it wouldn't be the same without you Taltos. :D

Keep up the good work :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Tom - should I do a Mrs. Doyle here???? :)
    Seriously though, admin role - figure either you have to have a god complex or just enjoy the persecution of the damned ;)

Cheers SF. To be honest, the others are not kidding, way I approach the threads now is very different to when I could just post without having to triple check each post. But that's just me.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I want to want to be a mod again, they were fun days :/

Seriously, it's an awful slog once the honeymoon is over and you've read the gossip in the mod forum.. there are good days as well, sometimes, once in a blue moon, you get thanked for helping someone out and that little nugget makes it all worthwhile. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

I would love to become moderator because I am very responsible and |I would eb good at the job and I would enjoy it.

Advertisement