Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I want to be a mod.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

I would love to become moderator because I am very responsible and |I would eb good at the job and I would enjoy it.

Do you eat all your greens?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

I'd love the extra PM space:p
    Will we ever see some of us lay people getting more space?

I would liked to be asked to bed be a mod, just for the sake of being asked. I just don't think I could ever actually do it though because I don't read entire threads if they're already lots of pages in. But the though of being aked would be nice :)
    A small forum I could handle ;)

(I've spotted that typo but I'm leaving it in for a cheap trill for somebody:D, perhaps it was a Freudian slip. Who knows:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

I would liked to be asked to bed be a mod, just for the sake of being
    Well, hello big boy ;)

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

I would love to become moderator because I am very responsible and |I would eb good at the job and I would enjoy it.

Given that you've bumped two old threads to tell us that is good because it shows that you're eager, which is a quality we like in our new mods. Unfortunately, however, we hate people digging up old threads needlessly, so I'm afraid this disqualifies you from ever becoming a mod. Unlucky.

muffler wrote: »
    Well, hello big boy ;)
    a/s/l

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

Zaph wrote: »
    Given that you've bumped two old threads to tell us that is good because it shows that you're eager, which is a quality we like in our new mods. Unfortunately, however, we hate people digging up old threads needlessly, so I'm afraid this disqualifies you from ever becoming a mod. Unlucky.

Hahahah good one Zaph. *puts arm around shoulder* Just to let you know I never dig up an old thread and I'm actually a really great guy. I'm also on the look out for a bit more authority (chance'd be a fine thing says you ! ahahaha good one again Zaph).

I have to go now to help out in some forums wot need helpin out....in , so amm yeah just gimme a shout when ya want to get serious about this whole modding thing yeah ? ;) :cool:

Okay, now do me! :P

Wouldn't it be fun if boards did a Mod of the month or something, just as a bit of craic:D
    Give them something to work for, not just vast amounts of cash that many use for questionable activities...

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I'd love the extra PM space:p
    Will we ever see some of us lay people getting more space?

You could always subscribe, not only do you get perks but you help in the running of the site. Win - win.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

what do you mean by digging up old threads?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 476 ✭✭christ on a bike!

Surely we are all stakeholders in this business, as such I would like to see a declaration of the Mod/Directors earnings to see if we are getting value for money

What is the story with director/mod bonuses, did they still receive them given the economic climate?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Surely we are all stakeholders in this business, as such I would like to see a declaration of the Mod/Directors earnings to see if we are getting value for money

What is the story with director/mod bonuses, did they still receive them given the economic climate?
    Would that be before or after tax?

My accountant tells me that even after deductions for internet access fees and psychiatrist fees to deal with stress for dealing with abusive users, I still owe boards money for the teabag I stole from the canteen a while back. Boards, following a lengthy negotiation, have graciously agreed to waive the cost and call it quits so the net pay for the last few years of modding here is a big fat zero.

That said, I did get a free t-shirt from adverts.ie last year and revenue are currently investigating if this constitutes benefit in kind as it cannot be proven that I actually wear it every time I help someone on that site.. I may have to go underground for a while until the heat dies down there...

tl;dr, all boards earnings goes on hamster food, none goes to the mods :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,689 ✭✭✭Tombi!

May aswell ask here: someone (I think Terry) said that you'd get an email about a reported post.

Would that not clog your email if you're modding something like AH or any high traffic place? And can you turn it off? Do you get any sort of notification like a popup (or even how the PM section says Unread 1/2/3/4/etc) when a reported post happens and you're browsing boards?

And I've always wanted to know: what's the story with the mods of the mod forums? You know like Soc mods forum, etc? Do the mods ever kick off in their own forum or is it more of a "they're the mod of a mods forum just incase posts need to be removed for libel reasons or such"?

Oh and how's it work if a mod wanted to delete my post right now? Do they have to report it and then delete it can they just remove it right of the bat?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

May aswell ask here: someone (I think Terry) said that you'd get an email about a reported post.

Would that not clog your email if you're modding something like AH or any high traffic place? And can you turn it off? Do you get any sort of notification like a popup (or even how the PM section says Unread 1/2/3/4/etc) when a reported post happens and you're browsing boards?
    Nah BD just an email. On busier forums they can come in thick and fast, but on the same forums you've usually got loadsa mods so it's rare it's down to one or two. I have mine routed to a sub folder in my email app, so no clogging as such.
    And I've always wanted to know: what's the story with the mods of the mod forums? You know like Soc mods forum, etc? Do the mods ever kick off in their own forum or is it more of a "they're the mod of a mods forum just incase posts need to be removed for libel reasons or such"?
    Its down to basic housekeeping. EG lets say you're having a discussion on potential candidates for replacing a mod that's leaving. That thread would be removed before the new mod showed up kinda thing. Wasn't always the case IME. When I first got a mod gig of PI the thread was still there. Mostly posts of "christ, not that prick", but I got over it. :D But yea that would be the most of it. Saves hassling an admin for basic housekeeping stuff. I've never seen the role being used for anything else in my experience anyway.
    Oh and how's it work if a mod wanted to delete my post right now? Do they have to report it and then delete it can they just remove it right of the bat?
    Unless it's a troll, obvious inflammatory post, spam etc again IME posts are rarely enough deleted without very good reason and if there was no good reason it would be questioned.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I've never been a mod on boards, but I have elsewhere with the same system. You do get a fair few emails when people report (especially if spammers pop up). Gmail is pretty handy for it though as if multiple people reported the same post it lumps it into a single conversation which definitely helps.
    They've the ability to just delete it, but the other mods of the forum along with any smods/admins see a 'this post has been deleted by x' message in the thread where the post used to be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

tbh wrote: »
    It's also used to denote an action, from irc clients
    A ton of good info there tbh.

That's the level of suck-up you need to become a mod :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

what do you mean by digging up old threads?

They bury the old threads and a Mod has to go out and dig them back up with a shovel, It must be time consuming but I'll never know ..:pac:

You could always subscribe, not only do you get perks but you help in the running of the site. Win - win.
    I took your advice :)

I took your advice :)

Lick arse !

Does Boards accept payment other than paypal yet ?

LordSmeg wrote: »
    Lick arse !

No idea. I used paypal. :D

No

• Advertisement

Antares wrote: »
    No

Cant help em then.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

Steve wrote: »
    That said, I did get a free t-shirt from adverts.ie last year

Hang on just a second there.
    You got a free t-shirt!?
    Where the hell's my bloodly free t-shirt???!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,313 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You got a free t-shirt!?
    The t-shirt was free but he had to pay 15 EUR in shipping and handling costs (in true Ebay fashion).

Nody wrote: »
    The t-shirt was free but he had to pay 15 EUR in shipping and handling costs (in true Ebay fashion).

I thought they offered to swap it for one of their ads instead! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 46,103 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Beruthiel wrote: »
    You got a free t-shirt!?
    he got a second hand one on Adverts but I dont know if you'd wear it or not.............

images_105.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I think I should be a mod cos I have loads of posts. :pac:

If anyone should be a mod its That Guy ^. No wait.....maybe That Guy ->

You know who I'm talkin about. That Guy that posted that thing that time.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

If anyone should be a mod its That Guy ^. No wait.....maybe That Guy ->

You know who I'm talkin about. That Guy that posted that thing that time.

If that isn't the greatest endorsment ever, then I don't know what is. :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

I was promised assorted drugs and cheap sex workers. All lies. You do get a boldy name and an avatar though, so it's swings and roundabouts really :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I was promised assorted drugs and cheap sex workers. All lies. You do get a boldy name and an avatar though, so it's swings and roundabouts really :pac:

The coke and hookers were only available during the Celtic Tiger era. It's not just the economy that's suffering these days. Moderators have to make sacrifices too.

Advertisement