Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portal for free until 24th of May!

Options
  • 12-05-2010 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭

http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/
    Portal used to cost money. Until May 24th, it's free. End of story.
    Well, technically speaking, there are some strings attached. Fortunately, they're entirely decorative. We just like the way they look, swaying in the gentle breeze created by a million people simultanously fainting from shock at the news that Portal is free. Now you have no reason not to try Portal.
    "I have a reason," some of you are probably typing into an angry email. "You see, sir, I own a Mac."
    Well guess what: For the first time ever, Portal is also available for the Mac.
    "Capitol news! But the excellent puzzle adventure Portal won over 40 Game of the Year awards; Surely it must cost at least five or six hundred dollars."
    You'd think that, especially since it actually won over 70 Game of the Year Awards. But, like we keep saying, Portal is free. Free on the Mac. Free on the PC. But only until May 24th. So you only have a few days to decide if your free copy of Portal is worth the price we're currently charging - which is you ever-so-slightly moving your index finger just barely enough to click the big red "download" button right there to the left.

If you're still reading this and you have yet to play Portal then what are you doing! Get downloading now!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,309 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

"Capitol news! But the excellent puzzle adventure Portal won over 40 Game of the Year awards; Surely it must cost at least five or six hundred dollars."
    I love their sense of humour :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

More importantly (although Free Portal is quite important) us ostracised Mac users can finally join ye all on Steam. Not quite in TF2 yet - hurry up Valve! - but this is a welcome development. Preemptively, I am also entirely sure that PC users will find something else to criticise now that the old 'no games on Mac' argument is slowly being dealt with.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Antar Bolaeisk

Don't be absurd, you can only play peggle and the like on Macs. The reason Portal was released on Mac was simply to demonstrate the non-viability of Mac gaming :p

It's great to see Steam branching out and bringing games to the gameless though, it's almost like charity :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Don't be absurd, you can only play peggle and the like on Macs. The reason Portal was released on Mac was simply to demonstrate the non-viability of Mac gaming :p

It's great to see Steam branching out and bringing games to the gameless though, it's almost like charity :D

Don't forget we can't right click either :pac:
    But we actually can. We just don't tell people because we think its funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Have the orange box on PS3 but downloading now anyways, thanks for the info :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I was going to post a smartass comment about this, but then i figured i'd google it first....2 buttons eh? Who knew?

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭James G

I've already played it, but I think I'll download it anyway. I can't wait for Portal 2!

But we actually can. We just don't tell people because we think its funny.

That's right! How are you going to be able to fire a secondary portal!

Once again this is just Valve's way of highlighting the inadequacy of Macs as a gaming platform :p

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I got Steam, but I still have to boot into Windows for Half-Life 1 :(
    No good Valve. No good.
    Look after legacy gamers better! :pac:

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I got Steam, but I still have to boot into Windows for Half-Life 1 :(
    No good Valve. No good.
    Look after legacy gamers better! :pac:

If I remember correctly the original Half Life could be rendered using OpenGL so I'd imagine it will be made available to Mac users in the coming weeks. It seems as if they're releasing a different game every week at the moment anyways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Co-op in portal 2?! That should be interesting.

Good to see steam on macs. One step closer to linux! I wonder how this will affect the hardware in macs. Will we see gaming macs (igame?) equipped with better graphics cards?

A Linux client is apparently in the works, supposedly people have found traces of such a creature hidden in the Mac release.

There are macs out there with 4870s in them and such which are powerful cards (though not top of the line) so power (especially with the source engine) shouldn't really be a problem. I believe the OpenGL language does let Portal down a bit though as it's not as optimised as DirectX, or at least the implementation isn't.

Co-op in portal 2?! That should be interesting.
    "Now you're thinking with More Portals."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

My god this game is one hell of a mind bender!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Portal is gonna put those crappy mac games in the Apple Store to shame

500x_zsxg0uhn.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

is this the standard Portal? Or the version with the extra levels from the flash game?

Is it wierd that I cried about the WCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

Just remember

the_cake_is_a_lie_by_avaras.jpg

folan wrote: »
    is this the standard Portal? Or the version with the extra levels from the flash game?

Is it wierd that I cried about the WCC?

Standard version but you can download the extra maps as an addon from here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Rezident

That is brilliant. I must replay Portal since the update, great idea by Valve.

• Advertisement

Overheal wrote: »
    I love their sense of humour :)
    http://teamfortress.com/post.php?id=3692&p=1

Thats why it takes them so long to release anything: Hats.

A little bit of bumpage in case people have been living under a rock for the past few days. Still three days left to avail of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭folan

installed this fully and started playing it last night.

I love this game, its nice on the xbox but its almost too easy for me at this stage!

New map packs, here I come. Bye bye everything else

Advertisement