Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trolling

Options
  • 12-05-2010 9:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭

What does 'Trolling' mean?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

have you tried googling it first before asking ???

(its just a suggestion)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i have the same question
    would the people who use the word on boards please explain what it means

seriously !!! try googling it and find your answer !!!...the internet is a wonderful place ...full of information - outside of Boards !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

It's a Galway word meaning inability to use a search engine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 300 ✭✭RubyBlu

Thanks for the replys. I just thought it was an inhouse word that Boardsies used. I thought it was something mischevious. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,664 ✭✭✭Doyler92

Lads the OP asked a simple question, no need for all the grief.

OP it is a person that posts controversial posts usually in order to provoke other users in an online forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Lads the OP asked a simple question, no need for all the grief.

OP it is a person that posts controversial posts usually in order to provoke other users in an online forum.
    so that to me would mean to make it more interesting or give us something to debate about

goat2 wrote: »
    so that to me would mean to make it more interesting or give us something to debate about

Possibly, but if the OP was trying to bring on a debate then well in good.
    But imo he was asking a question in which he was looking for an answer.

Doyler92 wrote: »
    Possibly, but if the OP was trying to bring on a debate then well in good.
    But imo he was asking a question in which he was looking for an answer.

and he/she was directed to a source of information in order to answer his question !!

PCPhoto wrote:
    and he/she was directed to a source of information in order to answer his question !!

And who was the OP directed from may I ask?
    PCPhoto wrote: »
    seriously !!! try googling it and find your answer !!!...the internet is a wonderful place ...full of information - outside of Boards !!

Correct me if I'm wrong but if you mean this post, I don't really find that 'directing'.

• Advertisement

its telling the OP to google the term and it will give him/her the answer !!! its not that difficult to find the answer to questions online by using a search engine ...instead of a forum.

Yes I'll agree with you for that question.

But there is some questions I have that wouldn't dream of using a search engine and just go straight to a forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

IBTL

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭sgthighway

Krieg wrote: »
    IBTL

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Trolling is a method of fishing where one or more fishing lines, baited with lures or bait fish, are drawn through the water

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

Thread should be moved to Newborn & Toddlers as some posters are looking to be spoon fed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Dunjohn

goat2 wrote: »

No, usually it's purely to cause an argument or basically stir up trouble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

I don't know what a tracker mortgage is!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

The OP asked a genuine question which he didn't post in AH so I would've thought that he would be afforded a genuine answer.....
    If joking in response to posts is your thing I would suggest maybe checking out AH as it's the ideal place for responses such as this.....:)

OP, as far as I'm concerned a troll is some one who posts inflammatory information in certain threads in order to rile up other posters. eg
    in the parenting thread they might post that they take a belt to their 3 year old:eek: cos they know it would kick off a massive argument

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement