Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Broadband in Rosshill, Roscam

• 12-05-2010 9:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭

Hi

I am thinking of moving here, and am wondering does anyone know does UPC (NTL) provide cable tv and broadband in this area. According to their website, they don't, but I have been told by the rental agency that I should be ok. I know that mobile broadband is available, but I would prefer an all in package if possible.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

My daughter used to live in a flat opposite the Spar shop in Roscam and had NTL BB and digital package there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,014 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

A friend also lives opposite that Roscam SPAR, and was signed up by a door to door NTL salesman a couple of months ago. I encouraged her to switch, 'cos she'd been giving out about the size of her Eircom bill ... am sure I would have heard from her if it didn't work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 336 ✭✭lampsie

Its defo available in Roscam (have 30mb broadband here), its not available in Oranmore which is only up the road...so geographically it likely depends on exactly where you are in Roscam area. Worth bearing in mind on the UPC site that they include Roscam under 'Galway City' as opposed to just Galway, that one threw me first time I was investigating getting UPC in :)

lamps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 207 ✭✭jeoun

the place i was looking at was in Rosshill road, and was not broadband enabled with UPC.

Didnt go for the place anyways!

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

jeoun wrote: »
    the place i was looking at was in Rosshill road, and was not broadband enabled with UPC.

Didnt go for the place anyways!

I used to live in Doughiska and I could get NTL broadband there, worked very well also. I think from a broadband point of view if you are going out the coastline and out towards Oranmore, or indeed around Oranmore, you'll find it difficult with broadband in certain (many) estates from my experience. My guess is it comes down to bad planning of the infrastructure (surprise, surprise!) when they built new estates, not laying down copper/fibre which they seem to have done in Doughiska.

One thing to look out for is that in some places you can get NTL tv but not broadband, its a little dish.

I have used O2 mobile broadband with mixed results, don't think you could rely upon it.

Lampsie did you mean THIRTY mb in Roscam? For real? If so, what are you paying for it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

swe_fi wrote: »
    I used to live in Doughiska and I could get NTL broadband there, worked very well also. I think from a broadband point of view if you are going out the coastline and out towards Oranmore, or indeed around Oranmore, you'll find it difficult with broadband in certain (many) estates from my experience. My guess is it comes down to bad planning of the infrastructure (surprise, surprise!) when they built new estates, not laying down copper/fibre which they seem to have done in Doughiska.

One thing to look out for is that in some places you can get NTL tv but not broadband, its a little dish.

I have used O2 mobile broadband with mixed results, don't think you could rely upon it.

Lampsie did you mean THIRTY mb in Roscam? For real? If so, what are you paying for it?

There is nowhere in Oranmore you cannot get Broadband. UPC yes, but the others are available. I used to live a few miles outside Oranmore on the other side of the Dublin road and I could still get BB no problem, you definitely would not find a single estate where BB is not available in the entire village. I have a 24MB line and I'm in Oranmore.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭swe_fi

There is nowhere in Oranmore you cannot get Broadband. UPC yes, but the others are available. I used to live a few miles outside Oranmore on the other side of the Dublin road and I could still get BB no problem, you definitely would not find a single estate where BB is not available in the entire village. I have a 24MB line and I'm in Oranmore.

Guess i've looked at the wrong places then. And i should maybe correct myself as I was looking for broadband without getting a phone line in like UPC or Digiweb. Is that 24mb through ADSL/ phone line? Do you mind me asking what provider & estate that is and what it costs?

Advertisement