Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

do you worm your hens

Options
  • 12-05-2010 9:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

tbh i never heard of it before but as a farmer some one asked me today what to give their hens to worm them so does any one know ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

i do often enough as i keep and sell a lot of hens, verm x is great stuff, put a small drop in the water 3 days of every month

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

I worm mine too, with Flubenvet but only every 4 months. If they show symptoms of gapeworm then I worm with Chanevet in their water for 5 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭jap gt

EGAR wrote: »
    I worm mine too, with Flubenvet but only every 4 months. If they show symptoms of gapeworm then I worm with Chanevet in their water for 5 days.

is there an egg withdrawl with any of them, i found it hard to get a good product that allowed the eggs to be eaten, vet said verm x is great stuff for them

No withdrawl with Chanevet and Flubenvet which is why I use them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 nate_doggg

Apparently garlic can be used as a natural method of worming.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1806628/worming_chickens_naturally.html?cat=5

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭Ado86

I wouldn't recommend using garlic as a wormer. There is likely not to be any scientific evidence to prove that it works. Worm burdens are considerable animal welfare issues, and personally I dont fancy tucking into an egg and having worms floating about in it - yes ! Worms can definitely get into the eggs!! Fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭buckshotbrolan

Hi lads, first year keeping hens and really enjoying it but the past few weeks one hen sounds kinda snotty and keeps opening its mouth like its clearing its throat. Is this gapeworm? Im in the Cork area and finding wormer is proving to be tough, or shall i take the hen to the vets. Cheers

With gapeworm they usually shake their heads rapidly and then stretch their necks whilst opening their beaks. They are trying to get rid of the obstruction. If you open her beak you should be able to see the worm.

If she *rattles* when she breathes than it's more likely an upper respiratory problem and you should take her to the vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

I'm new to keeping hens...do I need to worm them and if so where can I get it from?

Does everyone worm theirs?

With gapeworm they usually shake their heads rapidly and then stretch their necks whilst opening their beaks. They are trying to get rid of the obstruction. If you open her beak you should be able to see the worm.

If she *rattles* when she breathes than it's more likely an upper respiratory problem and you should take her to the vet.

Thanks for your help and was going to take her to the vets today but found her dead in her nest box this morning:(

• Advertisement

m8 wrote: »
    I'm new to keeping hens...do I need to worm them and if so where can I get it from?

Does everyone worm theirs?

Where are ye? found a great place in middleton/cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 905 ✭✭✭m8

Where are ye? found a great place in middleton/cork.

I'm in Clonmel

Advertisement