Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dropping out: Questions.

Options
  • 12-05-2010 10:10pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭

Hi folks I am a first year student and I intend to drop out of college, I am just wondering about a few things, any answers much appreciated.

-Can I still use the library for any period of time after I drop out, if yes for what duration, and when in the process of dropping out will my library access be rescinded?

-Will my UCD connect email address remain open after I drop out?

-Any ideas as to how difficult the process is/ how much administration is required and can it be done online?

Any other advice welcome.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

Any other advice welcome.

Don't. The jobs market is hellish. I mean really hellish. Pre growing up in the Celtic Tiger no problem finding a job Commitments kind of hellish. But Im sure you have a plan .... Then again the jobs market for graduates is also pretty shite so may as well get on d'social early.

a) library use until your student card is out of date
    b) UCD Connect does not delete accounts I . I still have both my UCD emails and have been finished my masters for a year.
    c) You have to go to your program office or the Student Desk
    d) if your under 25 and at home don't plan on going on the dole. You will get 50 quid a week if your lucky.

G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 884 ✭✭✭ya-ba-da-ba-doo

I can't see why you'd be able to use the library if you're not part of the college anymore, same with the ucd connect.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

Grimes wrote: »
    Don't. The jobs market is hellish. I mean really hellish. Pre growing up in the Celtic Tiger no problem finding a job Commitments kind of hellish. But Im sure you have a plan .... Then again the jobs market for graduates is also pretty shite so may as well get on d'social early.

b) UCD Connect does not delete accounts I . I still have both my UCD emails and have been finished my masters for a year.
    d) if your under 25 and at home don't plan on going on the dole. You will get 50 quid a week if your lucky.

G

Thank you for your prompt and informative response.

How do I find out when this is? I understand the old system before I started in UCD involved the issuing of new student cards each year, but I was told that mine must last for the duration of my programme. Does this mean that I have library access for 4 years regardless? Surely not?

Well if your desperate to drop out but continue going to the library :confused::p you can easily get an external borrowers card for a relatively small fee. The price is on the library website. Alternatively just keep going to the library until it wont let you in and cross the bridge then ..

Well if your desperate to drop out but continue going to the library :confused::p you can easily get an external borrowers card for a relatively small fee. The price is on the library website. Alternatively just keep going to the library until it wont let you in and cross the bridge then ..

Thanks again, you've been so helpful that you've robbed from me any pleasure I would have derived from writing the following sentence:

The third word in your post should be you're, not your.

• Advertisement

Hey, Im not the college drop out :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Who_owns_this?

Thanks again, you've been so helpful that you've robbed from me any pleasure I would have derived from writing the following sentence:

So would you not just let it be?

Did you take a deep breath before saying:

Hi folks I am a first year student and I intend to drop out of college, I am just wondering about a few things, any answers much appreciated.

?

Hey, Im not the college drop out :p

I am an autodidact, when I'm living on the streets I shall be able to correct people's grammar as they walk by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭El Siglo

I am an autodidact, when I'm living on the streets I shall be able to correct people's grammar as they walk by.

I bet you're a real hit at parties...;)

El Siglo wrote: »
    I bet you're a real hit at parties...;)

I have no mates so it doesn't really come into the equation.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I have no mates so it doesn't really come into the equation.

I'm shocked.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,410 ✭✭✭✭noodler

G

First thing: I absolutely agree that you shouldn't leave unless you absolutely have to. I mean I have my primary degree and two Masters and it was absolutely soul-destroying finding work. I have something decent for the moment but I mean you'd be below the pecking order of a sh1t load of graduates who are part of the 13.4% unemployed (which isn't going to get any better for at least one year).

Even if you hate your course, even if you find the work a chore, just consider doing nothing for a couple of months, then a year etc etc it can have a seriously negative effect on people.

Second thing Grimes:

Precisely one year after my last MA, I was no longer able to log into my UCD connect account. Got no warning either - very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭dyl10

noodler wrote: »
    I mean I have my primary degree and two Masters and it was absolutely soul-destroying finding work.

If you don't mind me asking, what subjects/topics?
    Sorry, I'm nosey like that.

In regard to the library, I think they request your student card when you drop out, but I guess you could always say you lost it.

Advertisement