Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Curry's

Options
  • 12-05-2010 10:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭

i bought a telly from currys over a month ago and the screen went on it.ibrought the tv back to the store i bought it for wanting to exchange it for a new one i spent €1530 on the bloody thing and i was expecting it to last longer than a month!!:eek:
    i was just wondering do i have to accept a repair or can i argue my case and get a new one??
    any insights would be great as i'm not too happy with the service i recived

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

some stores will have return policies..as 28 days etc..

if its faulty within this usually a replacement can be done, cant guarantee that though. give them a call

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,506 ✭✭✭lil'bug

i brought it back to the store a week ago, they have to have an engineer to look at it to see if it can be repaired but i don't want it repaired i want it replaced, i wouldn't mind but i took out the coverplan for 3 years as well
    not a happy bug

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭tommy21

lil'bug wrote: »
    i brought it back to the store a week ago, they have to have an engineer to look at it to see if it can be repaired but i don't want it repaired i want it replaced, i wouldn't mind but i took out the coverplan for 3 years as well
    not a happy bug

Extra cover is a waste of time! You have rights under Irish and European law for it to last a reasonable amount of time. Good luck with it. Fairly sure after 28 days though they will only repair it first. If it fails 3 times I think they will give you new one/refund you but don't quote me on that!

i'd say it was about 4 days over the 28 days grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

You don't have to accept the repair, but that was a reasonable (and lawful) offer by Currys, so you'd be hard pressed to prove that they are being unfair and force them to give a replacement. If the repair fails, or is not returned in a timely manner, you can invoke your right to a replacement or refund.

If you want to force them to give a replacement now, you'd need to go to the Small Claims Court, but that would not be likely to go your way considering they have already accepted the TV for a repair.

• Advertisement

its been gone now for well over a week and not a word from Curry's talk about bad service, i work in customer service my self and am shocked at the way were were treated first of all in store and then by the total lack of communication

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Three R's first they can offer a repair, next a replacement then a refund, but they can only use each option once.
    Example: Now they are offering a repair, if that fails they can offer a refund or a replacement, not another repair.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Three R's first they can offer a repair, next a replacement then a refund, but they can only use each option once.
    Example: Now they are offering a repair, if that fails they can offer a refund or a replacement, not another repair.

Care to back these up with some facts?
    There is nothing that says that they can't offer a second repair or that a repair MUST be the first option.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Cabaal wrote: »
    Care to back these up with some facts?
    There is nothing that says that they can't offer a second repair or that a repair MUST be the first option.

From the NCA site:
    Shopping: faults - repair, replacement, refund

Once you notice a fault with an item, you should return it as soon as possible to the seller and explain what has happened.
    If you have a genuine complaint about faulty goods, you can ignore shop notices such as "No Refunds" or "No Exchanges".
    Some shops display these notices during the sales. But remember that these kinds of notices cannot take away any of your statutory rights under the Sale of Goods Act.
    In some cases, a repair may easily correct a fault. If the shop offers to repair the item, the repair should be permanent.
    If they repair the item but it still doesn’t work properly, for whatever reason, you should be in a better position to look for a replacement or refund.
    Before you agree to the shop carrying out a repair, you should put it in writing to them that, if the repair is unsuccessful, or there are any other problems with the item, you reserve your right to look for a replacement or refund.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

They can offer a 2nd repair if they want to (or a 3rd, 4th, etc). You don't have to accept it though, but that won't stop them offering it. You also can't force the resolution you want without taking the matter further, if they refuse your request.

lil'bug, a week would not be an unreasonable time, even with no communication. I wouldn't be surprised if you hear nothing at all until the repair is done. Give it 2 weeks from the day you gave it back, then contact them and ask what's happening. At that point, if you get no real answer, tell them you want a satisfactory resolution within 1 more week, or you will take the matter further.

Curry's do have a policy of guaranteeing a resolution within 35 days of you contacting them. This means that if your laptop is not back to you, 35 days after you first contacted them about the problem, they will give a replacement in store. If you check the website you'll see it says 28 days, but it's actually 35 days in Ireland (they want the extra days to allow shipping to and from the UK where all repairs are done). If you ring their help line they will confirm this (though probably tell you it's 28 days, as you'll be talking to the UK).

• Advertisement

maybe i should start charging them rent on my telly :(:(

ok i got my telly back yesterday after 2 weeks
    plugged the set in and the screen was still broken actualy it was worse one of the lines was more noticable
    brought it back again and its been sent back again maybe this time someone will look at it

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

At this point I would take a photo of the screen now, just case of any disagreement.

Then take the TV back, with your proof of purchase and ask for a refund.

If you don't get it I actually think you'd a good chance of refund with the small claims court. Inform the shop that this will be your next course of action.

The shop has had the TV for nearly as long as you've had.

got a call from curry's today to tell me the tv was back from been repaired
    i asked for it to be checked before i left the shop and low and behold the screen was still not right
    the manager finaly gave me back my money :) but i'll never buy from curry's again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

What brand of TV was it?

lil'bug wrote: »
    got a call from curry's today to tell me the tv was back from been repaired
    i asked for it to be checked before i left the shop and low and behold the screen was still not right
    the manager finaly gave me back my money :) but i'll never buy from curry's again

What a shambles. And you had to ask for it to be tested! I wonder did it ever leave the store for repair? Good for you for standing your ground. I will never touch Currys after hearing your story.

it was a Samsung
    all together curry's had my telly for 24 days and they still couldn't fix it

• Registered Users Posts: 513 ✭✭✭Antigone05

surely the manufacture of the TV should be the one avoided here no? if it went faulty within its first month i wouldn't have a lot of faith in it.

its easy to blame the retailer in this, but at the end of the day it was poorly made, and the people at Curry's didn't build it.

Antigone05 wrote: »
    surely the manufacture of the TV should be the one avoided here no? if it went faulty within its first month i wouldn't have a lot of faith in it.

its easy to blame the retailer in this, but at the end of the day it was poorly made, and the people at Curry's didn't build it.

If 100 Tvs roll off the production line, you can bet say 2% or 3% might be faulty (random figures). The OP was unlucky to get a faulty one. They might not have built it but they demolished their responsibility to the OP to look after her on behalf of the manufacturer.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,634 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Yar it's understandable that products have a certain failure rate - but when the Op bought the item their conract was with the retailer and it was on the retailer to sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

tommy21 wrote: »
    If 100 Tvs roll off the production line, you can bet say 2% or 3% might be faulty (random figures). The OP was unlucky to get a faulty one. They might not have built it but they demolished their responsibility to the OP to look after her on behalf of the manufacturer.

That would be absolutely shockingly poor quality if that was the case. Most high volume companies, especially Asian one, have six-sigma quality standards which means 0.00034% defective products (1 in 3,000) or fewer.

I doubt shops have any responsibility to look after customers on behalf of the manufacturer unless they are offical agents or have some other contract with the manufacturer. I don't know if Currys have such an agreement with Samsung. They do, however, have responsibility to look after customers in accordance with the law and additionally in accordance with company policy. It's Currys responsibility to ensure the product they sold was up to scratch and they should have sorted the problem first time, reputations (good and bad) are lost and won by how a business deals with its customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

Can't account for the way the products are manhandled in the delivery to the branch..could be bounced around as footballs for all you know!

Advertisement