Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

security needs

Options
  • 12-05-2010 10:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

hi guys

i just read the the securitty requirments on the garda website but want to be sure i read it right.

i have two rifles at the monment and am buying an unrestricted pistol and hopefully funds depending a shotgun.

all will be unrestricted so i know i nedd an alarm but does this have to be monitored?

tommy:confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

A friend of mine had a meeting with the CPO and afterwards he was saying when hets his next gun he needs the alarm but he'll get one from the hardware and wire it himself (he's an electrician). Them ones arnt monitered but dont take my word for it. I dont think they went INTO detail on the alarm requirements

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

tommyboy26 wrote: »
    i have two rifles at the moment

Thats a safe, fixed to a solid structure, that complies to BS 7558.
    and am buying an unrestricted pistol

Still a safe, fixed to a solid structure, that complies to BS 7558.
    and hopefully funds depending a shotgun

Now you are into level three security. A safe, fixed to a solid structure, that complies to BS 7558. An alarm on the room/safe where the guns are stored and a lock on the door to the room that complies with BS3621.
    all will be unrestricted so i know i need an alarm but does this have to be monitored?

No. Thats only level 4. As in 3 or more restricted firearms, or 6 or more firearms (of any nature) that are all stored together.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

so a standard house alarm is fine?

tommy

The regulations state that " the PLACE where the firearms are to be stored must be alarmed" (not exact wording, but close). This could be read as being the safe, the room or the entire house.

My advice is go for what you can afford that provides the highest level of cover. If you can afford a full burglar alarm then go for it. Means you are 80% the way to level 4 if you decide to go further (gunwise) later.

If you are not in a position to do so, get a zone alarm that covers the room. I don't believe in these alarms that are just fitted to the safe. I would sooner have something that activates when someone tries (God forbid) to enter the room, not when he has been in there a while and decided on his course of action. He being the thief in this scenario.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭bunny shooter

Lads those guidelines are not worth paper they are written on ! My advise, contact CPO and ask IN ADVANCE of spending any money what will be acceptable to him/her.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The security levels mentioned above are the MINIMUM required for the various numbers/types of firearms; it's perfectly within the Superintendent's remit to look for more if they think there's a need.

Lads those guidelines are not worth paper they are written on ! .

What guidelines. They are regulations/laws/necessities. Whatever you want to call them. SI 307/2009. A legal requirement.

My advise, contact CPO and ask IN ADVANCE of spending any money what will be acceptable to him/her

Worthwhile advise, but then you are left open to his/her personal whims. I know the SI security requirements are a MINIMUM standard, but what if you are asked to install 100 cameras, barbed wire, a moat with sharks and lasers on their heads. You get them point. If you have the standard requirements installed, apart from the personal piece of mind, you may not be asked to increase your security level.

As always my opinion.

"Minimum" is the important word. You can and I and a lot of other shooters I know had to level up from what they were supposed to have. If the Super deems it necessary to level up and you you disagree you will/might need a DC judge to agree with you :eek:

Easier to find out what they will accept and see where you go from there before you buy something and they have a problem with it ;)

"Minimum" is the important word. You can and I and a lot of other shooters I know had to level up from what they were supposed to have.

I think you're missing my point or i've explained it poorly.

If the above is the minimum then he will have to get at least that installed. Then after that its up to the Super.

I know and understand what you're saying about talking to the Super before hand, but somtimes if you have the security installed, even to the minimum level, they may look on the fact that you installed it even though you do have the amont of firearms to necessitate that level of security as a good thing. As said previously, it provides piece of mind as well as physical security.

I had a security level well in excess of level 4 before the new liensing/security measures came to be. This was for me, my family and the protection of my firearms and mostly piece of mind knowing when i leave my house it will all be there when i return.

Once again lad, its one of those things that is left purposely vague so we end up arguing and second guessing ourselves and leaving the door open for the PTB to set the bar at the level THEY decide, so from that stand point i see why you think they are useless regs.

Ezi,

I am not disagreeing with anything your saying (strange for me I know) ;)

All I'm saying is a phone call to the CPO to arrange a pre instalation visit which would cost a cup of tea and a few biscuits before he/she does anything might save the OP a few €'s.

My opinion, from my experience and a few of my friends :)

They set the bar no matter what you do/don't do ;)

• Advertisement

Ezi,

I am not disagreeing with anything your saying (strange for me I know) ;)

Ah, all my soap box speeches mean nothing if you don't disagree.
    All I'm saying is a phone call to the CPO to arrange a pre instalation visit which would cost a cup of tea and a few biscuits before he/she does anything might save the OP a few €'s.

Go for it. If it works super, if not then its back to my plan.

I'd call this one a tie. ;):p

It was a tie a few posts ago :P ;)

Advertisement