Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor Smart lite plan offering free meteor calls & texts

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭fmcattack

Is this over yet??

I'm on Meteor bill pay at moment, 85 a month Thinking of just buying a cheap 02 sim today, signing up with that. An then porting my current number over to the o2 number.

Can I do this??

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭igor420

I see that the bill pay smart lite is a 1 month contract.
    How do you cancel the contract? 1 months notice?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Yeah 30 days notice!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Are they still offering this? It's still on the website but the * is saying until 31 May.

It says on there website it is now running untill June 30th

I rang today about it, I am on the Talk Max 85 a month at the moment but i needed that for work. Told them on the phone i wanted the Smart Lite E30 offer on the web or i am cancelling my contract.

She put me through to retention department.

They said they would put me on the Lite E30 with unlimited data plan for free instead of the extra E15 for the next 3 months, she then said i will *probably* be able to continue the free data for the following 3 months.

Anyway i am happy with that, saves me a bit of hassle.

Just taught i would share

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭nicker_s

I got sorted in the end by porting to vodafone for all of 15 minutes. I signed up as a new customer and when i got the sim went into a store and they told me i had to port over and back, whole thing took about 20 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Did you get free calls and texts added in store too??

nicker_s wrote: »
    I got sorted in the end by porting to vodafone for all of 15 minutes. I signed up as a new customer and when i got the sim went into a store and they told me i had to port over and back, whole thing took about 20 mins.

when I tried to sign up as a new customer and put all my info in they rang me a day later saying u are an existing meteor customer and you can't get a new sim on a new account.

How did u get away with this? Were u bill pay before?

Dave6195 wrote: »
    Did you get free calls and texts added in store too??

Dave, Yes I did, HOWEVER, that's because i had signed up online as a new customer and had the sim sent out to me.

fmcattack wrote: »
    when I tried to sign up as a new customer and put all my info in they rang me a day later saying u are an existing meteor customer and you can't get a new sim on a new account.

How did u get away with this? Were u bill pay before?

No, wasn't bill pay, i just told them what i wanted to do and asked them a very simple question - Can I not have another account if I want? The simple questions really stump Meteor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭dave oc

Dave, Yes I did, HOWEVER, that's because i had signed up online as a new customer and had the sim sent out to me.

So have you kept your original number from prepay? Just trying to work what you did cause id be interested in doing it. What exactly did you do?

Thanks!

I signed up to the offer online, basically pretending i was a new customer. They sent me out a contract to sign etc. I then got a sim card with a new number for the bill pay offer. I then went and ported over to vodafone, and went into a meteor shop, told them i wanted my old number on the new bill pay account. Thats what worked for me, now i have my old number on the new bill pay account. I think it's a technical thing that they can't switch you over from the pre-pay to bill, that could be just cr@p tho.

Technical my hole....they could easily do it they are just being awkward as hell about it!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 ronan1001

for those who got put on the plan by speaking to the retention dept., make sure that you check it went through when your new billing cycle starts.

Mine started a few days ago, and they had put me on the new plan but hadn't added the free meteor to meteor calls and texts, which originally only new customers were entitled to. Took a few calls and forum posts to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

ronan1001 wrote: »
    for those who got put on the plan by speaking to the retention dept., make sure that you check it went through when your new billing cycle starts.

Mine started a few days ago, and they had put me on the new plan but hadn't added the free meteor to meteor calls and texts, which originally only new customers were entitled to. Took a few calls and forum posts to sort it.

Good advise, the exact same thing happened to me and they havn't sorted it out yet

Gileadi wrote: »
    Good advise, the exact same thing happened to me and they havn't sorted it out yet

try the meteor forums, that's where it got fixed for me - my post is in the customer care section

http://forums.meteor.ie/index.php?showtopic=874

I signed up to the offer online, basically pretending i was a new customer. They sent me out a contract to sign etc. I then got a sim card with a new number for the bill pay offer. I then went and ported over to vodafone, and went into a meteor shop, told them i wanted my old number on the new bill pay account. Thats what worked for me, now i have my old number on the new bill pay account. I think it's a technical thing that they can't switch you over from the pre-pay to bill, that could be just cr@p tho.

Hi nicker_s,

You've been a great help so far but just one or two ques for you:

*When you were signing up, pretending you were a new customer did choose the option to get a new number or to keep an existing number?

*Did you have any trouble getting them to port your PAYG number onto your bill pay? - did they ask you any questions or what did you tell them?

*I'm presuming it was your PAYG you ported over to Voda yea?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

OK I'll clear a lot of questions up as I just signed up to this plan from Meteor PAYG and I kept my original number with no hassle....

Basically, you order a SIM card and select 'new number'.
    When it arrives you can ring customer care on 1890 80 85 85 and ask for a MSDIN swap, where they effectively swap your old number onto the new SIM.
    It generally takes 24+ hours and you can use the old SIM for the time being and run up your credit until the SIM dies, then the new SIM should carry your old number.

That's about it!

Good man.

Did it take long for the new Sim to come?

Also, Did you not have to port over to Vodafone or o2 to get the free meteor to meteor calls and texts?

Requires a €150 deposit according to the phone call I got on Tuesday! Like the way that's not disclosed until after you sign up!

• Advertisement

kmart6 wrote: »
    Requires a €150 deposit according to the phone call I got on Tuesday! Like the way that's not disclosed until after you sign up!
    Serious?

What did you put down for your employment status? if you don't mind me asking.

I heard before Meteor done something similar to someone who put down unemployed (or could have been student).

looder wrote: »
    Good man.

Did it take long for the new Sim to come?

Also, Did you not have to port over to Vodafone or o2 to get the free meteor to meteor calls and texts?

The SIM took about 2-3 days from when I sent off the contract, passport copy, proof of address etc. Not sure exactly how long as they got my address wrong on the envelope (but not on the letter inside) so I had to rescue it from the post office!

Didn't have to port to anyone to get the free calls and texts, simply ordered a new number (which had the offer attached) and then pasted my old number onto the new one, keeping all the benefits of the new one

I had originally thought I would port for 24 hrs and then go back to avail of the offer but in the end, a Meteor rep told me to do the above as it had been done before and was fine.

I have to say all the Meteor staff were really helpful and nice.

€150 deposits aren't required; they weren't for me and I'm a student!

That's only if it's a continuous 12 month contract AFAIK, not the 1 month rolling contracts that the Smart Lite plan offers

looder wrote: »
    Serious?

What did you put down for your employment status? if you don't mind me asking.

I heard before Meteor done something similar to someone who put down unemployed (or could have been student).

Put down I was full time!
    Jev/N wrote: »
    €150 deposits aren't required; they weren't for me and I'm a student!

That's only if it's a continuous 12 month contract AFAIK, not the 1 month rolling contracts that the Smart Lite plan offers

Well that's clearly not the case since I had to pay it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭Spipov

deposits are often required.

in 2007 i got a 12 month contract and it cost me 300 euros - im a doctor

i went back to payg after it was done.

in 2009 i took the 30 day contract bill pay lite 10 - had to pay 100 euros depost.

i think i argued about this in a thread at the time somewhere.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055216186

kmart6 wrote: »
    Well that's clearly not the case since I had to pay it!

Sorry I should have said taking into account my experience, I don't think they're required, for this contract at least

Haven't a clue why I wasn't asked to put up a deposit?!

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

Hi Folks,

I'm on the bill pay lite at the moment and i was looking into getting the internet add on until I saw this thread.

Would it be best to ring up and ask to switch to the smart lite package to get the 1gb extra or is it down to hard negotiating?

By the way, yes I ported my PAYG Meteor over to Vodafone Prepay, they were then able to port my number to the Bill pay account that had been set up. Does that make sense?

Also I had to pay a 50 euro deposit, which I will get back after 7 Months automatically or if I cancel the account. I'll probably have to drive to Donegal to pick up a cheque made out in Nigerian Dollars to get that back knowing Meteor.

Amaru KGB wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

I'm on the bill pay lite at the moment and i was looking into getting the internet add on until I saw this thread.

Would it be best to ring up and ask to switch to the smart lite package to get the 1gb extra or is it down to hard negotiating?

You can switch to the new package no problem, you'll just lose the free calls and texts to meteor unless you negotiate with them.

I was the same as you, I was on bill pay lite and wanted to switch but still keep my free calls/texts. When I first rang I got the 'only available to new customers' spiel.

I said that there was a comparable package with vodafone that I would switch to, followed by 'are you sure meteor can't do anything for me?', which got me through to the retention dept. I kept it polite, but was quite firm in the fact that I would move if I didn't keep the free calls and texts. 5 mins later I had the new plan and still kept the free calls and texts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Amaru KGB

ronan1001 wrote: »
    You can switch to the new package no problem, you'll just lose the free calls and texts to meteor unless you negotiate with them.

I was the same as you, I was on bill pay lite and wanted to switch but still keep my free calls/texts. When I first rang I got the 'only available to new customers' spiel.

I said that there was a comparable package with vodafone that I would switch to, followed by 'are you sure meteor can't do anything for me?', which got me through to the retention dept. I kept it polite, but was quite firm in the fact that I would move if I didn't keep the free calls and texts. 5 mins later I had the new plan and still kept the free calls and texts.

Good man, might give it a go myself.

Advertisement