Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Two Sound Art Projects - Seeking Submissions and Supporters

• 13-05-2010 2:01am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

I have two projects that I would like to share with you.

1. Sound is Art -
    http://margaretnoble.net/soundisart

This is an international sound art site that has about 400 subscribers. I am always looking for new submissions to share work. Please view the submission page on the site for more details.

2. Orwell 1984 Remix Album -
    http://kck.st/aP1SQr

I am seeking supporters and listeners of this recording. This project started with a 1950's vinyl of broadcast radio. In the project I pull samples from the original vinyl record and modern media to produce an experimental electronic music album. Instrumentation includes analogue synthesizer, beats, acoustic instruments, voice and field recordings.

Please take a look.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Margaret

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭NyquistFreak

Hi Margaret,

I didn't bother with the second link, because it asked me for money to view/ listen to the content, I have none of that to spare to be spending at the moment, even on a good cause like amnesty unfortunately, so the comment here is just about the site...

I had a look at the website there...I'm not too sure if it's a personal showcase site for yourself or a site for all sound artists to share which you claim in the "about" section? But I'm also guessing its a new enough addition to the interwebs so you don't actually have much of a catalogue of other artists on there yet so it is just your own stuff you can really be talking about anyway...I'll check back in a few months when it would be fairer to make that comparison maybe?

I have been working on a 3D soundscapes project and environmental recording for the last few months, and actually have been looking for somewhere to throw them up for sharing, but would be put off using your site to share my work for a couple of reasons:

1) The fact that I can only upload in mp3: I already know the quality of my work will suffer hideously over the coding/ loss of audio info in the file, the 3D effect definitely wouldn't transfer...look at your carwash recording, I'd imagine that sounded a lot lot fuller before you put it online? It sounds good alright like dont get me wrong (but bearing in mind i've been listening for localisation cues in things for months now, it just sounded like it landed a bit flat to me there...and I'd blame the mp3 restriction. I know it would be pretty expensive to offer a larger file size service, but for me that would be one of the put-offs when considering between your site, or any of the other more established services who offer the same standard coding, like myspace or whatever. I have still yet to find a site that put the cash into offering a server to support larger file sizes (and better quality audio) though, and maybe as yet no such thing exists, til then I can only dream sure! I dont see the point in a site like this though if you can only show the artist's work to half potential....look up the difference between lossy and lossless coding if you don't get what I'm getting at here, a good portion of the audio information is thrown out straight away when you convert to mp3, I hate the things, grand for getting the idea of music across but for more "arty" contributions, I just don't see the point because it just doesn't work out the same at all.

2) The very personalised nature of the site to yourself and your own work. That is, the URL is your own name so by assumption on first visit, it is a site of your work, the home page does not clear this misconception up immediately and the about section is also a bit vague on your intentions...As opposed to this site, which is the same idea as you describe in the "about" section, to allow artists share their work (also for free, under the creative commons license) :

http://freesounds.org/

which does not give credit to any one person for either setting up the site, being a great sound artist or what have you, everyone who contributes to the site is equal and credited instead of shadowed by the sites creator. (like I said though, I think it's unfair of me to make this judgement while you still have no evidence of actually having any other contributing artists. My only fear with sharing on your site (aside from the quality thing, but that seems to be to complaint everywhere not just your site), as opposed to this one would be that viewers may give you credit for my work, I just wouldn't feel like it was in any way a level playing field in that sense, and while you (probably) wouldn't deliberately or directly steal my work, that you may in other ways allow others to believe you were responsible for it with me as a "contributing" artist....again, I feel that unfair without actually seeing any evidence of other artists on your site and how you deal with them, but naturally it is a concern when trusting someone else with your work like that. Mostly though, I dont like the idea of having to say something like.."check out my work at margaretnoble.net"...(when everyone already knows I'm not Margaret)... and then getting accused of plagorising your work even though it is genuinely my own!

3) Aside from that, the homepage is a little disorientating, lots of big pictures and tiny writing, it took me a minute or three to figure out what I was supposed to be looking at...

Oh actually excuse me, you do have other artist's work up there...and on the home page...in with your own work without crediting them until you click on the link.. in very small text in the main body of the descriptive paragraph...

the first few links I clicked on were your own work, and no mention was made to the artist in these sections, the first example I found of someone else's stuff was "cutting champ" by Michael Peter by the way...where you mentioned his name in only tiny print in the main body of the text...above points stand valid so, I would have assumed all the works on the homepage were your own as you made no indication to the contrary. This could be sorted out pretty easily by adding the artist's name to the title of the piece so it stands in bold in the same way as the title of the work does, and could be seen clearly from the homepage when viewers are browsing for something to listen to.

Also, that whole not fully and obviously crediting the artists could work against you in some ways... in the piece "modal marathon" by Michael Kasper...the information he gave on what a mode is: is completely wrong. Well, its an approximation of a vague idea of what modes are...you can tell he doens't know what he's talking about though, and I blamed you for this at first when I checked it out last night. I was so upset by how wrong it was, I looked you up to see what your background was and all....its only when I copped on about the cutting champ example that I rechecked this clip again and realised you actually had nothing to do with it.

I hope that all doesn't sound too negative now, I'm just trying to give my honest opinion of the site itself as I went through it, its just a few layout questions more than anything, as a whole I think its a fantastic idea for a site, and best of luck with it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 margaretnoble

Indeed, to reply to both of your notes:

1. Yes, indeed many are turned off by a project that is seeking funding. But, I am also seeking support and listeners. So, it might still be worth while to take a look, a listen and spread the word if you think it is a good idea. As we all know, it is pretty tough to succeed in the art world or release work. My thoughts are that promoting the social concerns of George Orwell through new sound work is worth it. So, perhaps take a look even if you don't want to pledge :-)

2. As for your critiques for my Sound Art website. I am sure it will always be in need of new improvements and I will carefully consider your design critique to make it better. That site is a labor of love. Yes, it is true that this week I did use it share my own work, I have been sharing the works of other artists and new work relentlessly on this site as well. In fact, my primary aim is promoting sound art. I spend hours each week creating entries and I have no funding or ads. I feel like it is OK for me to share my work in that context in addition to promoting others.

All that said, I really appreciate your checking it all out and taking the time to share your thoughts!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 margaretnoble

I am back and posting an update to get the word out about my political art and sound project. It is a remix of Orwell's novel 1984 and I am rocking it on Kickstarter which is all or nothing funding. I am at 62% with only 16 days left to go....

You can hear it here:
    http://www.artonair.org/archives/j/content/view/3138/

Read a review here:
    http://www.politicalmediareview.org/2010/06/george-orwell%E2%80%99s-1984-electronic-music-remix/

Support it here:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/margaretnoble/george-orwells-1984-electronic-music-remix-album-f

Hope to hear from you!

Advertisement