Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What should be my next upgrade?

Options
  • 13-05-2010 5:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    i have just ordered a graphics card for my rig, but need help with what part I should upgrade next. My new graphics card is this "RADEON HD 5770 1GB DX11 VAPOR-X PCI-E 2XDVI HDMI ATI EYEFINITY" replacing my 8800Gts.

This is my current setup, minus the 8800...

Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 6000+, 3.0GHz
    Memory: 4052MB RAM
    Hard Drive: 244 GB
    Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 8800GTS
    Monitor: Benq 22" lcd
    Keyboard: G15
    Mouse: MX518
    Operating System: Windows XP Professional
    Motherboard: Asus M2N SLi - Deluxe

I don't want to blow a fortune, but another €300 can be used for upgrading.

Thanks in advance
    Neuro

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

You could sell the x2, mobo and ram for a nice tidy price on ebay - if you advertise it well or separately then you could get 125+ euros

That plus the 300 you could go i5 750 Quad core, new mobo and ram - a very nice upgrade

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

You could nicely overclock your CPU either ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Okay, this new GPU is toss. Graphics are the same on BFBC2 and my desktop looks crap now :(

Any ideas how I can get this to run at the optimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭Lord Nikon

Now my sound is gone too :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

lol
    thread of the day and everything goes wrong!! :D

Well it certainly sounds as though you either didn't uninstall the gpu driver properly(likely) or the new drivers didn't install correctly(less likely).

The solution?
    Driver Sweeper
    http://www.guru3d.com/category/driversweeper/

It's the best tool for getting rid of sticky gpu drivers.
    1. Download and Install Driversweeper
    2. Boot your pc in Safe mode and uninstall all the Nvidia and ATi drivers using driversweeper
    3. Download the latest version of drivers for your new gpu and install them

That should stop your problem with the video problem at least unless the 5770 is broken, but it's most likely a software issue.

As for the sound, well that could be a number of things. For now lets just try and fix the video and then go from there.

As for overclocking unfortunately the processor you have doesn't give much leeway in that department.

P.S. I'm assuming that you removed the 8800 before putting in the new card, right? :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

If you want to keep your prices down, I believe you're AM2 board should support the AM3 quad cores (with bios update). I don't think the X6s compatible with a lot of boards. Yet anyway.

To maximise your processing power, you could go for the PhII X4 965 (usually less than €200), or a 955.
    To cut costs further, you could also use the Ph X4 940. This is an AM2+ processor with similar performance, but you sometimes see them cheap where people are upgrading to AM3 boards.

There's also the athlon II X4s which are quite cheap.

Advertisement