Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dublin Docklands 8km - Tues 18/05

• 13-05-2010 9:21am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭

Anyone here still waiting on their race number and chip in the post?
    Registered in good time and still haven't got anything from them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭guapos

I got my number and chip about two weeks ago, you should contact them. good luck next week

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 916 ✭✭✭whatnext

still not received anything either, let us know how you get on rovers_runner

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Email sent this morning, no response yet.

Just spoke with them now, they said they posted a large number of them on Tuesday.
    Will check the post this evening, fingers crossed as they probably have no back up plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭bewleys berry

got mine in the post this morning so i wouldn't be panicking on it yet...i only registered a little over a week ago (just got in before they closed it - surely they haven't got 2500 people to do this...if they have there is no recession in the country and if they haven't i don't know why they wouldn't extend the may 7th deadline)....anyway u still have tomorrow post and monday and tuesday

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Wild Rover

Mine arrived yesterday...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

Did this race yesterday - bit of confusion as to where the start line was and I was a little late starting. 36m 50seconds on my watch and 42m on the clock when I finished! Anyone know when the chip times will be up?

The race was pretty enjoyable and I like the course, weather can't be helped although the rain wasn't too bad. My only gripe really though was the lack of distance markers - I only saw one, and that was the 7k marker!

Newaglish wrote: »
    Did this race yesterday - bit of confusion as to where the start line was and I was a little late starting. 36m 50seconds on my watch and 42m on the clock when I finished! Anyone know when the chip times will be up?

The race was pretty enjoyable and I like the course, weather can't be helped although the rain wasn't too bad. My only gripe really though was the lack of distance markers - I only saw one, and that was the 7k marker!

Newaglish, I feared the worst once there was no sign of starting mats.
    The chip time seems to be from the gun to the finish line as my watch and the text message I got last night were bang on.

Anyone who started towards the back never got any proper warning as to this.
    Course seemed longer than in previous years, was definitely over 8k anyhow:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3738400

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

Newaglish, I feared the worst once there was no sign of starting mats.
    The chip time seems to be from the gun to the finish line as my watch and the text message I got last night were bang on.

Anyone who started towards the back never got any proper warning as to this.
    Course seemed longer than in previous years, was definitely over 8k anyhow:
    http://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?r=3738400

Yeah what is the point of a timing chip if you are not going to have a starting mat?

I could not see any mark for the start. Even a sprayed on line on the road would have been helpful. How difficult would it have been to string a banner across the road for the start?
    Otherwise a nice run and well organised bag drop etc. Wouldn't mind too much about the distance markers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 theFinishLine

Yes there was lots of confusion at the start - no starting chip mats - and the race started 4 minutes early, very difficult to see/detect the Kilometer markers, some very impatient/rude city car drivers.

The winner - actually did not start on the start line - he was not lined up on time (yes there was an early start but still...) - so he joined the field about 500 meters into the race - so much for timing chips - which would have meant that the organisers could have detected this.

I felt very sorry for the guys in 2nd and 3rd - his clubmates I understand/believe - a "big race" victory denied of them.

We seen the reaction a few weeks ago ago in the Limerick Marathon when two guys were D/Q-ed because they did not do the full distance. I know docklands is different - but standards are standards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭paulusdu

Shame about the timing chips. I started at the back just to keep out of the bunched groups because of the rain.
    Nice route though, it was good to see the new Lansdown road too. Great support from the 5 or 6 lads having a few cans out in the rain around the 6.5km mark too :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

The winner - actually did not start on the start line - he was not lined up on time (yes there was an early start but still...) - so he joined the field about 500 meters into the race - so much for timing chips - which would have meant that the organisers could have detected this.

A friend of mine ran this a few years ago and people were jumping into the race left right and centre after the starting gun. He also had a few horror stories of spectators/a$$holes throwing stuff at them while they ran. I vowed never to run it and based on the above I'm glad I didn't.

If the above is correct and I were second I'd have asked the winner (-500 metres) to DQ himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭OldBloke

paulusdu wrote: »
    Shame about the timing chips. I started at the back just to keep out of the bunched groups because of the rain.
    Nice route though, it was good to see the new Lansdown road too. Great support from the 5 or 6 lads having a few cans out in the rain around the 6.5km mark too :)

Yeah I clocked them as well - a nice bit of support on the route and Landsdowne road looks amazing.

Pity about the confusion at the start - same thing last year, and it was definetly longer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Yeah what is the point of a timing chip if you are not going to have a starting mat?
    So the organizers don't have to write down your number as you cross the finish line. You're effectively getting a 'gun time' only.
    I know it's a fun run, but based on people's experiences over the last two years, it doesn't sound like much fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭smmoore79

This is my 3rd time running this. I like to dio the Docks run coz it was my first ever run! A work collegue convinced me to do it last minute without training. Was so worried that id finished last!! So 2 years into this running business now!

Started yesterdays run about 2 minutes late, everyone had gone by the time i got there. Finish time was 31 31 but my garmin said 29 10 over 5 miles. Didnt see the start mat either; It was there the other times i did this run (08 and 09). Maybe a last minute glitch on the organisers behalf, sometimes these things happen? Will still do the run next year, though if the mat is missing again i will deffo reconsider!

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Ar Strae

I've got to say was pretty disappointed with the organisation of the race. It started early! No mat at the start for the tags is a joke. How can you advertise a chipped race when they don't take your time at the start? Ridiculous.

And only one kilometre marker at 7k?? How much does it cost to print out a number on an A4 sheet?

Having said that the marshalls and volunteers who stood out in the rain for us all to pass by deserve full respect and the road closures were well managed.

But a disappointment all in all.

Ronan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭Stupid_Private

A few of my photos from last night - the rest can be found here. Nearly missed getting there because of the poxy protest in town which jammed my bus up in traffic for ages. Seemed like good craic (albeit wet) from where I was.

4621281062_bb7a8e1205.jpg

4621285106_0f320dfc5a.jpg

4620672977_f678a276a8.jpg

4621285376_066af55d38.jpg

4620679147_1579e1a0b4.jpg

So you're the git I have to blame for this monstrosity?? :eek:

http://www.racepix.com/photo/4620670779/count/33/race/219/user/0/racetag/docklands2010/bib/0/page/2/racephoto.aspx

Mental note..never hit a split on your watch when there's a camera nearby, I look like I copied my running style from Mr. Byrnes!

Seriously though thanks for coming out and taking shots in the lashing rain. Nice one. A gang of us from work ran it and we're firing your photos around on email this morning!

Ronan

Ar Strae wrote: »
    So you're the git I have to blame for this monstrosity?? :eek:

http://www.racepix.com/photo/4620670779/count/33/race/219/user/0/racetag/docklands2010/bib/0/page/2/racephoto.aspx

Mental note..never hit a split on your watch when there's a camera nearby, I look like I copied my running style from Mr. Byrnes!

Hahah! Sorry about that...

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭PinkChick

Anyone know when the results are up? I never got a text.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,734 ✭✭✭Newaglish

I didn't get a text either - I'm wondering now will my time just be the time that I crossed the finish line?

It's a shame that it was so badly organised as I think the route is pretty cool; it's nice to do city centre runs for a change. The issues though with the early start, lack of start mats and lack of distance markers is a bit of a turn-off though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 310 ✭✭gmurran

I've got to say was pretty disappointed with the organisation of the race. It started early! No mat at the start for the tags is a joke. How can you advertise a chipped race when they don't take your time at the start? Ridiculous.

And only one kilometre marker at 7k?? How much does it cost to print out a number on an A4 sheet?

Having said that the marshalls and volunteers who stood out in the rain for us all to pass by deserve full respect and the road closures were well managed.

But a disappointment all in all.

Ronan

Agree with everything you said. I got caught 200m behind the start facing the wrong way because the race started early.

The chips were disposable like the ones in Limerick but they still insisted on collecting them.

The traffic on the quays was right on top of the runners. got directed up onto the path but you can run on a path in racers.

Races need Km or Mile markers why dont organisers take this on board. That 7KM was counter productive last night as many people expected to be just around the corner from the finish.

Organisation was poor compared to last year. I think the prizes for this race leave allot to be desired compared to club races what's on offer is very poor.

The route was changed on York road and would have been 5 miles. I think that's why the start was moved away from the Matt. I reckon this decision was made by someone who doesn't run and wouldn't get how this would frustrate people.

gmurran wrote: »
    Races need Km or Mile markers why dont organisers take this on board. That 7KM was counter productive last night as many people expected to be just around the corner from the finish.

Organisation was poor compared to last year. I think the prizes for this race leave allot to be desired compared to club races what's on offer is very poor.

I think you were 4th? shouldn't you be bumped up a place given that the winner jumped in at 500 meters gone. Might be a slightly better prize also :)

I know the race distance was some fuzzy value between 7.5km and 9Km (going from GPS reports) but you crossed the START and FINISH line man. Well done on a great race.

I know the winner. He was there on time warming up on the side street and couldn't get down the narrow streets because of the crowds. The start was moved with no notice. He had to run around the block to get to the front and the police motor bike guys were coming head on. There would have been no point in trying to turn around. I think it was more like 200M than 500m. He won by more of a distance than that. Also the race started early by 3-4 minutes when every other year it has been 10 minutes late.

It would be very unfair to argue places. I was well beaten for 3rd so I'm not complaining. Doesn't seem to be a prize for 4th this year because of cut backs in Docklands.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Stargal

This was my second ever race and gotta say, I enjoyed it. Great route around a lovely part of Dublin and good support from the stewarts, gardaí and people on the streets. We were lucky enough to be close to the start when the gun went off.

Two issues:

Firstly, the lack of km markers threw me. I like being able to take stock at every km and psych myself up for the remaining distance. What was the point in only having the 7km one? Not cool, organisers.

Secondly, there were a few times along the route where the traffic was pretty intrusive. It's not something I'd take any note of if I were just out running on my own, but when there's 2,500 of us, it really calls into question the organisation. Sean Moore Road in particular was a bit mad. We had been running on the road but once we turned onto that street, there were cars and Aircoaches driving along so we had to go onto the path. We passed a few side streets along Sean Moore Road where cars were waiting to get out - god knows how long they were stuck waiting. It's not a huge complaint but the whole traffic issue just seemed to be badly organised.
    paulusdu wrote: »
    Ha! Agreed, those lads were hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Ronan - your photo made me laugh, your description is spot on.

Have some minor niggles on the night, but I don't care. It was the first race that I've run since was I was in school over twenty years ago and I'm delighted with it. Won't be my last.

Results are up on the Docklands site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,598 ✭✭✭shels4ever

deja vu ... seems to be the same with this race each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Cheers Rovers. I'll do a better time next year.

I really, really want to know what happened in the final km of the women's race. I was by the famous 7km marker (who did a great job I must add!) taking photos and the girl who came second went by a full 30 seconds ahead of the girl who won. The 30 seconds is based on the times my photos were taken at 7km so could be slightly out. To overturn that time in such a short distance staggers me somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭ChampionChip

Thanks for all of you who took part last night and can I state that I am only responsible for the timing systems, not the Km markers, or water, or the start location. The start had to be altered on the night for H&S reasons so it was not possible to get mats down there. However in view of the feedback and comments we will have to look at it seriously for next year. As regards the texts, in every case I have looked into the runner failed to provide their mobile when they registered with AE so what can I do without the data?

As regards chip times and finish times I would refer you to IAAF rule 165 below.

Note: The official time shall be the time elapsed between the firing of the starting gun and the athlete reaching the finish line. However, the time elapsed between an athlete crossing the start line and the finish line can be made known to him, but will not be considered an official time.

Wow some finish. According to the results there was only 1 second betyween the top two? This doesn't square with what you were saying gmurran. Unless of course they screwed the timing up or the times include a penalty?

In fairness his position doesn't really affect my placing :-)

Part of me is going I should just suck it up..after all it's a fun run. But when 20 bills is being charged and only 4 is going to charity and it's advertised as a chipped race i think people probably have a right to complain.

I've said my piece and I'll shut it though. I'll spend the energy trying to get faster and beat that git who overtook me three feet from the line (and thanks to the spreadsheet I know who you are Mr. D'Arcy..consider your cards marked!)

Monkeypants, yeah grim photo isn't it? Taking some serious stick for it in work. And delighted that to hear you're back into the running! Plenty more races to come.

And 20 years layoff is nothing..check out this gentleman

http://www.racepix.com/photo/4620675635/count/129/race/219/user/0/racetag/docklands2010/bib/0/page/7/racephoto.aspx

A few of my friends were running with him.

Mr. Lambe. 71 and came in 45:05. Savagery! Hope I can turn out times like that at his age.

We're just getting warmed up lads!

Ro

P.S. Is it just me or could it be considered bad form to put people's exact ages on the results sheet?

The reason why the first and second times are so close its because the winner had the chip in his hand when he crossed the line and only swiped it close to the mat when I asked him where it was. The letter of instruction and the chip envelope both clearly said to put the chip on your shoe. The tihird lady finisher I believe had the chip in her pocket.

The winner is an idiot who had his timing chip in his pocked instead of on his shoes. :) He was informed the chip didn't register just as the 2nd place runner came over. There was a good 25-30 seconds between them I was told.

You are correct but by the time I ran round and was able to speak to the winner the second place guy was almost home.

This is getting more and more bizarre!! Thanks incidentally Championchip for having the decency and b*lls to come on to a forum post where people were giving out. I appreciate that.

The H&S issue re: the mats obviously isn't yours, possibly the race managers should have sorted that out.

That's madness about the runner carrying the chip?? What was he thinking??

Ronan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭jailhouse_dave

wow, is my understanding correct, the winner didnt actually cross the start line?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

from what i was told at the end. No.

See my earlier reply below. Speaking to the leading runners at the end nobody who was effected sees this as having any impact on the final positions. The winning margin probably would have been greater but for what happened.
    I know the winner. He was there on time warming up on the side street and couldn't get down the narrow streets because of the crowds. The start was moved with no notice. He had to run around the block to get to the front and the police motor bike guys were coming head on. There would have been no point in trying to turn around. I think it was more like 200M than 500m. He won by more of a distance than that. Also the race started early by 3-4 minutes when every other year it has been 10 minutes late.

It would be very unfair to argue places. I was well beaten for 3rd so I'm not complaining. Doesn't seem to be a prize for 4th this year because of cut backs in Docklands.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Even though I live right by the start/finish I wasnt going to run this based on my memory of the disastrous organisation of 2008 (when I did enter). Sounds like they still haven't sorted it out.

I did run the route in reverse, against the traffic as it were. Had a bit of a laugh doing that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭dr. gonzo

wow, is my understanding correct, the winner didnt actually cross the start line?

That seems to be the case alright, but then again there wasn't actually a start line was there.....

But for the winner, who obviously is a serious athlete finishing with a time like that, has the chip in his hand, surly he knew to attached it to his shoe.. this gets even more bizarre, comical even..

• Advertisement

Expecially since the same guy won the race last year as well?? Gas stuff!

earlyevening, saw you running all right..was wondering what the hell you were at :confused:

Aren't you just the same as any race bandit though, running a course and taking the road closures we paid for without paying a cent? ;)

Although as to whether the race was worth the cash grumble gumble.. :-)

I hope you'll drop 4 bills into the Unicef donation box to ease that conscience!
    :D
    Ro

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,541 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Thanks for all of you who took part last night and can I state that I am only responsible for the timing systems, not the Km markers, or water, or the start location.
    On the subject of the type of timing chips used, there's no value in collecting them, is there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

dr. gonzo wrote: »
    But for the winner, who obviously is a serious athlete finishing with a time like that, has the chip in his hand, surly he knew to attached it to his shoe..

Not all chips have to be attached to the shoe, the ones used at the Raheny 5 were attached to the number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,545 ✭✭✭tunguska

gmurran wrote: »

Another good win for Paul. Good running yourself Gmurran.
    Whats the story with Ed though, by his standards 29 minutes is not at the races at all. I noticed he didnt run sportsworld last week either, was he injured or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭earlyevening

Expecially since the same guy won the race last year as well?? Gas stuff!

earlyevening, saw you running all right..was wondering what the hell you were at :confused:

Aren't you just the same as any race bandit though, running a course and taking the road closures we paid for without paying a cent? ;)

Although as to whether the race was worth the cash grumble gumble.. :-)

I hope you'll drop 4 bills into the Unicef donation box to ease that conscience!
    :D
    Ro

It was all accidental really. I have an 8 mile loop that I run on Tuesday evenings. It just so happened that the Matt Talbot/ East Link loop is part of my usual run.
    Was delighted to have done my 8 mile loop in a sub 50 time. I think running against you guys added a little something.
    Will bear it in mind re Unicef.

tunguska wrote: »
    Another good win for Paul. Good running yourself Gmurran.
    Whats the story with Ed though, by his standards 29 minutes is not at the races at all. I noticed he didnt run sportsworld last week either, was he injured or something?

Cheers. Good win alright he stretched it out from about 1/3 the way round and there was no catching him.

Ed is a marathon man these days and not too interested in the shorter stuff. You wont beat him over 10M but he's not concentrating on shorter races.

dr. gonzo wrote: »
    That seems to be the case alright, but then again there wasn't actually a start line was there.....

But for the winner, who obviously is a serious athlete finishing with a time like that, has the chip in his hand, surly he knew to attached it to his shoe.. this gets even more bizarre, comical even..

I agree totally here

The winner's club team mates were 2nd, 3rd, 4th so I can understand how they are 'defending' his actions. If they are happy about this and feel that his performance warrants this - fair enough.
    In any race - be it fun run to big city marathon - whatever/wherever the startline is - the eventual winner must move from there to the finish line.

The claims that his winning margin could have been more - is rather unfair on 2nd and 3rd who ran very very good times - so they were going to be beaten by over 3 minutes in an 8KM race?
    And he had his chip in his pocket/hand - can that be a joke - surely?

The winner has chosen a short route to the finish before - at the BHAA Army Race in the Park Last year - rather than go through the water obstacle he chose to climb around it - this was against the rules (as read out before the race) - he won.

Its just a question of standards - in my opinion it was the guy in 2nd who "won" yesterday - he covered the full course.

The organisers have questions to answer but unfortunately in this case the race went ahead under the previously mentioned conditions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 825 ✭✭✭ergo

I fun ran this one last night

pretty good atmosphere - no hassle from dodgy locals as reported by the odd poster in prevous years - more good humoured cheering on really

it was certainly advertised as a fun run in fairness, but not much point in timing chips if no start mat and everyone is going by gun time anyway - I wasn't too bothered - I also carried my chip becasue I was so late arriving literally just had time to drop bag and go (unfortunately I wasn't the winner :rolleyes: )

would definitely do it again

km markers would have been nice if I'd been racing this though and don't take much to put in place either (for info for organisers if reading this)

To answer a couple of points made earlier in the thread. The chips we are using now are disposable but to be environmentally friendly we try to collect as many as possible and recycle them and not use up landfill. I have to return them to Holland to get them recycled and get a few cents rebate on each.

Regarding the start mats and times I went along fully expecting to use the mats at the start same as last year but when it was changed it was not possible. It would have required me to wait for about 10 mins after the start to capture everybody then dismantle it, takes 5 mins, drive to the finish and then set up again, 10 mins. The winner took 26 mins so it would not have been possible to move the mats in the time available from start to finish.

I have no problem answering any queries you may have about how we operate.

From what I saw the atmosphere round the finish was great, clapping and cheering and good fun. After all it was a Fun Run and not the Olympics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

After all it was a Fun Run and not the Olympics.

aaaaaahhhhhhhhh hhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaa

If I played in a pro-am golf tournament I'd expect to play 18 holes. If I played in a recreation soccer league I'd expect the match to be 90 minutes long, if I ran a fun run I'd expect ............ well you can see where I'm going with this one

• Advertisement
Advertisement